3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Problems w/Sledpuller 66 OWNERS READ PLEASE

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2005, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems w/Sledpuller 66 OWNERS READ PLEASE

Well I finally got my turbo yesterday. It seems that absolutely everything I buy for this truck should come with the warning "Some modification may be required." Anyway, I got the exhaust off, and the new turbo on. I then put the new silicone hose section on from the turbo to the intercooler and tried to install the T-bolt clamps... Not happening. The new hose is MUCH thicker and HTT didn't bother sending any new clamps. I then try to install the exaust, with the new downpipe that THEY sent me. The downpipe fits fine but the V-band clamp they included is way too small. The stock one is too big...?? Weird huh. So I then try to mock up the AFE airbox and it won't fit either, I have to trim one corner out of it to clear the turbo. ARGH!!! This better be a darn good turbo. My truck is obviously down until they send the correct clamps and that'll probably be Wed at best. I'm Any of you Sledpuller guys have this problem???
Old 02-12-2005, 11:35 AM

Well that is just Edit irratating. You spend that kind of money and they can't get the install kit right...that is BS!
Old 02-12-2005, 12:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So, your saying that once you buy this turbo, their install kit, and their downpipe, you have spent the same amount of cash as a B1-04 that bolts right up with no modifications.....and even with the extras the HT turbo still doesn't fit. Yeah, I would be a little ticked off too if I were you. Of course, I haven't found a person yet that wasn't happy with it once they got it installed. Mention any of this to HTT yet?

Brian
Old 02-12-2005, 08:30 PM

Oh, I'm giving them a call first thing Monday. I bought all the parts from a local diesel shop that just happened to be opened on Sat. Now that I've driven the truck I'm very disappointed. The Check Engine Light is on due to the "boost sensor" for the electronic wastegate on the 600 engine not being hooked up. Not only that but my truck runs about 10000000 times worse than it did with the stock turbo. I'm only making 30psi and this truck feels like stock... <edit>!!!!!!!!!! Anybody that has one of these on an 04.5 PLEASE HELP!!! What do I do about the boost sensor. HTT didn't say anything about it. No directions whatsoever. I hope the truck feels like such a turd just because it is just in "limp" mode. I've got the PO234 code right now. I'm not very happy.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:03 PM

You might try taking the electronic wastegate controller off of your old turbo, plug it into the harness, then just tie it up out of the way and see what that does.
Old 02-12-2005, 09:45 PM

It seems that the electronic wastegate controller is almost impossible to remove from the stock turbo. I'll try to remove it though, and see what happens.
Old 02-12-2005, 10:25 PM
Banned

I would bet the truck is in limp mode. Diesels are know for simplicity and reliability why are they bringing all this electrical crap into the trucks??
Old 02-12-2005, 10:29 PM

I had all the same problems during install but once you get it all done it is definately worth it, my airbox is completely hacked up. Mike
Old 02-13-2005, 09:39 AM
DTR Advertiser

Get the wastegate components off the turbo, connect them to the wiring harness, and tie wrap it up out of the way. That will clear the codes.

Talk to the guys at HTT. They work hard to bring aftermarket parts to an increasingly competitve market with shrinking profit margins for nearly all of them. They will make it right, Im certain.

Don~
Old 02-13-2005, 11:55 AM

Piers sells a wastegate controller fooller box that plugs into the wireing harness. Its pretty cheep and very clean looking, you just velcro the small box on your battery or somewhere else. Now you don't have to rip off the wastegate controller off your stock turbo and zip tie it somewhere.

Horace
Old 02-13-2005, 12:22 PM

That's nice to know, it's too bad HT didn't let me know that from the beginning. They did give me a good deal and their turbo is a very nice peice. They could use some work on the install kit, I'll talk to them monday, but I'll probably get sick of the dog by then and put the controller on today...Thanks everyone for the info, and I'll keep you updated.
Old 02-13-2005, 01:23 PM

So is the truck running better now?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:45 PM

I just plugged the sensor back in, cleared the codes with the BDDL and went for a ride. Spool up is quite a bit slower, so the smoke is excessive before spoolup, but once that pig spools...LOOKOUT! It's a real animal from about 1800 to redline under WOT. I can see about 45psi at WOT. I love it, but I don't really use my truck for work either. I don't know about pulling loads with it on a daily basis. I haven't had it long enough to know for sure about EGT's but it seems to take alot longer to cool off when idling...
Old 02-13-2005, 03:45 PM

How many miles on turbo?
Old 02-13-2005, 03:57 PM

150 or so... Why?

Quick Reply: Problems w/Sledpuller 66 OWNERS READ PLEASE