3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Power modules, Air intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2004, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power modules, Air intake

I am looking into buying a power pup and outlook monitor from bully dog this is my first diesel and wondering if anyone has any coments.. Also looking for air intake Mac and AEM Brute Any coments on this selection as well would be helpful..
Thanks in advance
Old 10-31-2004, 03:41 PM

I amlooking for a intake system as well, must folks seem to be running the afe filters. They offer a drop-in filter or a complete system. I have read on here to watch out for the K&N, I believe it will not meet the filtering quality need for your trucks.
Old 10-31-2004, 04:10 PM

I am waiting on the arrival of my Scotty III Air system along with the TAG III. There is a lot of positive feedback out hear for the Scotty and the older TAG's. That's what I based my long awaited decision on. Also coming is a complete Banks Monster. I also hear there is a NEW Torque Tube coming from Dave (Car_nut57)at
www.dieselpowerproducts.com 1-866-379-8685. They are a advertiser here on DTR, check them out.
I am hoping all my stuff will be here by mid-week.
Old 11-01-2004, 04:29 PM
Banned

Get the AFE Pro Guard 7 systems, it is the ONLY filter we sill sell at DPPI as it stops the dirt while increasing the clean air flow. Any 4 layer washable gauze filter will let a lot of dirt into a diesel. E mail me and I will send you some independent test specs. I would post them but theve been posted to death here in the past.

Mark @ DPPI
Old 11-01-2004, 06:29 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
If the quality of the aFe filters had not declined I may have stayed with them.

Two stage Foam shows a far bitter ability at filtering.

I was skeptical at first because of all the hype about filters and brands. Choose your system carefully and read the fine print.

Old 11-01-2004, 09:53 PM

hey man - gonzy

check out the post on a Donaldson BHAF dry air intake.. They started out with a AFE PG7 - did a lot of testing and vacuum checks and ended up with a donaldson G110119 BHAF.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...&pagenumber=12

I linked you to page 12 of post.. where they start showing the donaldson setup and data with the setup... look at pages 12 - 15 and then you can go back to page one and read through the post..
Old 11-01-2004, 10:26 PM

Where can you get that set up?
Old 11-01-2004, 10:33 PM

everything is there... check the pages 12 - 15 (the end..) I think page 14 has the llist of parts needed.. as for donaldson filters.. look up donaldson-filters.com.. I think this post has a web link that has has everything.. it is on page 14.... but the link can be $$$ as noted.. but just read the last few pages...
Old 11-04-2004, 06:19 PM

We recommend the Scotty RA-III intake system with new 2-stage foam air filter element. This is what in on Jeff's 2004 in our shop and it flat out performs the other intakes we have tried. The foam air filters also flow better and stop more dirt than the cotton filters.
Old 11-04-2004, 11:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Scotty
If the quality of the aFe filters had not declined I may have stayed with them.
Scotty, what have you been noticing that has led you a-stray from AFE? Can you be more specific so the forum users can make a more informed decision?

Originally posted by Mark Craig
Cquestad,

Foam works well for filtering dirt we used to sell the Unifilters just for that reason, better flow than paper and stopped the dirt too! Now that Pro Guard 7 is avavilable it flows MORE air and still stops the dirt, more air is better so long as you don't get the dirt. So we no longer do the foam and sell Pro Guard 7 only, give us a call.

Mark @ DPPI
Mark, this was from Dec 03. Can you explain what Uni has changed in the last year that enables them to now out perform the AFE Proguard 7 and garner your support?

Ask yourself one question folks. Are you going to keep your truck for less than 200,000 miles, or less than 3 years? If the answer is yes, then it will never matter to you which filter you use. The difference in filtering capability is so little between the different media types that it will not add up to enough to cause damage until long after you're sitting in a shiny new 2008 Super Crew Cab Cummins 700. Just pick the one that tickles your fancy the most.

If your in it for the long haul, apply a little common sense to your research and choose wisely. I can't help but think there is probably a reason the major filter manufacturers have not changed their filter media in many, many years. Synthetic fabrics, fibers, and foam are much cheaper to manufacture than old fashion cutting trees these days. If there was a media that filtered as well as paper and flowed more, Fleetguard and Donaldson would no longer be selling paper filters. It would definitely be cheaper to go the other way. Lots of independent studies out there on all the available media types (most done by the ricer guys) that show the only advantage to oiled filters is the small footprint. It can be tough fitting a BHAF under the hood large enough to do the job. Stick with what works and go BIG to get the air flow you need. BHAF all the way. My $.02.
Old 11-05-2004, 12:16 AM
Top's Younger Twin

AK, many times I received a shipment that had poorly molded ends or bent up pleats or thinner pleats or ript open bags etc etc.
My former partner at Wildcat tried to resolve issues many times. It just kept recurring. I was not sure why things were like this and never got an answer from Rod or aFe. afe would not build a Pro Guard 7 for my products. I was told by one individual there that they could and then I was told by someone much higher up they will not.
The Pro Guard is nice, I think we should stack it up against the UNI and see whos is better. How do we do that if theres no Pro Guard to fit my products?

the UNI TWO STAGE foam is a much better alternative.

Paper filters have their place in the market just like the cotton gauze and the foam filters.

the folks that race in Baja that I know will not put paper or cotton gauze in there vehicles.

Scotty
Old 11-05-2004, 01:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks. Good stuff. During our 14 page thread on the AFE, all we could do was speculate as to why some of us were seeing dust in our intake tubes with the PG7 and some of us were not. Finally settled on possible inconsistencies inherent with their manufacturing process that led to some filters leaving the factory with a tighter fiber weave than others. Makes sense.

What's up with "My former partner at Wildcat?" I wasn't aware there was another partner besides Rod. Hope nothing bad, as in health related.
Old 11-05-2004, 10:05 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Originally posted by AK RAM

What's up with "My former partner at Wildcat?" I wasn't aware there was another partner besides Rod. Hope nothing bad, as in health related.
For a couple of years I was the R&D and promotion side of Wildcat. No health issues for either of us. We thought it would be a good thing to do being that we live in the same province.
I like to evaluate other products as well as develop more. That can be difficult to do if you are representing other manufacturers as a vendor of their products.
Its always been a goal for me to help present, promote, develop and evaluate products. This has also opened up a few doors for me with different magazines and media entities for getting the word out there for more awareness of whats available in the diesel pick up market. I get contacted often for feedback.

Sometimes it is difficult to run non-biased as you and many others have found out.

Its also nice to keep a closer grip on the pulse of the business running solo.

Scotty