3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

possible solution to the crappy headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2005, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible solution to the crappy headlights

A bit spendy, but I do like them

http://plasmagarage.com/XenonHIDconversionKit.html
Old 01-28-2005, 08:00 PM

The only problem with the HID lighting is with the type of bulbs our trucks use the 9007 series if you switch to HID lighting systems you lose high and low beam use, you will only have low beam. I have checked into this, that is the only part that sucks.
Old 01-29-2005, 05:43 PM

Originally posted by deezulsmoke
The only problem with the HID lighting is with the type of bulbs our trucks use the 9007 series if you switch to HID lighting systems you lose high and low beam use, you will only have low beam. I have checked into this, that is the only part that sucks.
I agree with you, that is a downside. But is it not the high beams that suck anyhow. I was thinking of replacing the foglamps with HID setup and keeping my useless highbeams anyways!
Old 01-29-2005, 06:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mark,
Try replacing the stock 9006 bulb that's in the foglamps with SilverStars 9005. I did it and it made a world of difference. With the SilverStars 9007 headlight lowbeams and with the fogs on it really lights the road up. Here's the link on doing the mod. It's known as the 'Fogzilla'.
http://www.bakerautoaccessories.com/BB.technical.html

MikeyB
Old 01-29-2005, 09:59 PM

really how hard would it be for a company to make a housing that used the parking light area as a second beam reflector and just move the turn signal over a bit?
Old 01-30-2005, 02:44 AM

Baker Automotive makes the Brite Box. There are a few different models. The ultimate is the SD7+FLC+FOGZILLA. Without stressing the electrical system, it allows the high, low, and fogs to remain on all at the time (~$200) if so desired, plus the Fogzilla kit converts the 9006 bulbs to a 9005 bulb ($25). For about $125, you can get the kit that keeps the highs and lows on at the same time. The more you pay, the more you get.

http://www.thebritebox.com/

Geno's also carries "brite boxes," but they don't have the fogzilla kit.
Old 01-31-2005, 02:30 PM

XENON

Hello all; first post from a TDR member.
If you wait a couple more months vision-x the largest manufacture of aftermarket xenon
lights will have a bi-xenon bulb for the 9007 avaliable. Contact me for prices and
more info if interested.
Old 01-31-2005, 03:19 PM

is there a website I can goto?
Old 01-31-2005, 04:55 PM

With regards to the Fogzilla mod, you don't need any harness or wiring changes. If you look inside the socket of the 9005 you will see 2 small tabs that would orient the electrical plug, just dremel them flat and the 9006 plug will plug right in. Everyone should do this mod, it's easy and effective.
Old 02-01-2005, 02:35 PM

Hey Guys my first post here...been Lurking-N-Learning a lot from everyone on this great forum.

This topic particulary caught my attention as I agree our OEM headlights fall short in illumination of road hazards (deer, debris, etc.) and as my eyes get older it seems harder to read street signs at night without good ilumination. Since my Audi has OEM HID lights I am quite appreciative of the benefits HID lighting can provide - Street signs look like they are flouresent lighted when my HID's hit them - no problem reading them at distance and seeing everything else.

One of the first things I did was upgrade my Ram's headlights to the PIAA Star White 3800K bulbs. A slight improvement but no where close to HID capability. This thread got me thinking about HID retrofit and I began to research it a bit further. I found a forum dedicated to HID and then discovered that you just can't pop in a HID bulb and ballast. Apparently, HID's "rely heavily" on the reflector/projector assembly design and you are not supposed to put a HID in a Halogen reflector assembly. According to the experts, the HID beam in Halogen reflector will spray and spread the light beam and produce very undesirable effects. I think it would even be more pronounced since our trucks sit so high.

Before you invest any money in HID bulbs/ballasts you may want to go over the http://www.hidforum.com and read some of the complexities involved in retrofitting.

Be especially sure to read:
http://www.hidplanet.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3505
It illustrates the problems/issues quite well.

So, I guess I will just have to live with the PIAA's and wait for someone to develop a retrofit HID reflector assembly that will work in our trucks or wait for DC to come out with them as an OEM option.