3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

possible smarty tune/program issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 07:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
possible smarty tune/program issue

i've got this posted on the CF but i figured i'd also post this over here for more exposure/advice.

well, sorry for the long post but here is my situation and i hope that someone on here has either experienced this before or knows what it may be. i've never seen or read about anyone else having this problem. i just installed most of the mods in my sig (w/ exception of the mp8, cai, and exhaust stacks), and afterwards i've noticed that i am having some sort of "boost leak". or at least thats what i was thinking the issue was. i've turned the truck back to stock and used just the mp8 and i'm able to hit and hold 42 lbs of boost (like i was able to before all the goodies). when i have the smarty on (lvl 7, w/ the defaults) i will hit 35 lbs then it will drop to 30 and then bounce between 30-35. you can feel the truck buck slightly (as in you can feel it pull then fall on its face then repeat) and hear the turbo spool up and down. i'm not sure exactly what the issue is, seeing how it doesn't do this w/ the mp8 i know its not a boost leak (i have yet to try them both together to see if i have the same issue then). w/ the smarty i am able to get it to hold 39 lbs but thats only at around 3/4 throttle...if i give it more throttle, it will start to give me that boost issue. i've tried turning off the waste gate w/ the smarty to see if that makes a difference and it doesn't seem to make a real change. i've also downloaded the latest revo tune for my smarty, the S06PV403BR16S software. i have the stock lift pump, stock turbo, and stock injectors as well. so, any help or possible things to try would be great.

thanks
dan

here is an update, i'm pretty sure i do not have a rail pressure issue. this is the setting i've got my smarty on right now: sw lvl 7, tq 4, tm 2, rp 1 and the waste gate turned off. with the mp8 off, i made a couple hard runs and it would hit 39 psi for a brief bit then drop to 30 and then bounce between 30-35. then i turned around and turned the mp8 all the way up and make a few more hard runs. i was able to hit and hold 45 psi w/out any issues. she pulled hard all the way to redline at that boost as well. so that leads me to believe its something w/ the software for my smarty and it not wanting to really boost fool for the truck or something along those lines due to me being able to run both together and it not act up at all. any other possible thoughts/ideas....i'm a newb when it comes to this stuff.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:49 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
The smarty boost fools up to around 42 psi.

I have been seeing a lot of rail pressure sensor issues lately... I've been involved in a few reapirs, it is something tricky to figure out.

Do you have a RP guage?
Old 05-10-2010, 05:02 AM

not yet, i have one on back order. hopefully they'll come in stock soon.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:38 AM

Do you have a lift pump gauge also? I think that you don't have enough fuel to run the smarty that high. This will cause 0psi at the CP3 & drop your rail pressure. This will lead to less fuel injected & you're boost will go down. With everything that you have you should invest in a lift pump.
Old 05-10-2010, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by tesla440
Do you have a lift pump gauge also? I think that you don't have enough fuel to run the smarty that high. This will cause 0psi at the CP3 & drop your rail pressure. This will lead to less fuel injected & you're boost will go down. With everything that you have you should invest in a lift pump.
i don't have any fuel pressure gauges yet. i've got to get another gauge pod for the lift pump pressure gauge.

my only thing about it being my lift pump is the fact that i don't have the issue when i run the smarty AND my mp8. its just w/ the smarty by itself. granted, i'll be getting a nice lift pump in the near future but i find it hard to believe this is my issue. but if everyone says thats the issue then it must be.
Old 05-11-2010, 07:33 PM

another update...i don't know for sure, but i re-ran the fuel lines to my extra f/w separating filter (at the frame rail) so that there isn't any potential w/ kinking and i think that might have fixed my boost issue (which seems to the fueling issue some mentioned). i won't know for sure till i get her on the highway and i'm able to stretch her legs out some and see what boost she pulls. i'll keep everyone updated.
Old 05-18-2010, 05:42 PM

well, i've noticed that it still does this. i'm gonna order a fuel pressure gauge to see what my fuel pressure is at while i'm hammering on it. hopefully i'll get this figured out soon. i'll let everyone know what the out come is.

oh, what lift pump pressure should i be expecting to see if my lift pump is working fine? i'm guessing anything about 10 psi?
Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Stock picking of before the CP3 you will see around 8-9psi, maybe 9.5. That's all you get with a stock LP. I bet your pulling it down to around ah 0 psi...LOL
Old 05-19-2010, 05:04 AM

i assume that pressure is a WOT?
Old 06-04-2010, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by Spooler
Stock picking of before the CP3 you will see around 8-9psi, maybe 9.5. That's all you get with a stock LP. I bet your pulling it down to around ah 0 psi...LOL
you are correct about the stock pressure, at idle i'm sitting at 9.5 but i'm still holding 3.5-4 at WOT.

i've come to the conclusion that my smarty is not boost fooling correctly. it will pull 45 lbs of boost and pull strong w/ both the smarty and mp8. w/ just the smarty it will hold 3.5-4 psi of fuel pressure going to the cp3. so i'm confident that fueling is not my problem.

so my questions is this, does anyone know of an update for the smarty s-06 pod that will fix this or do i need to get a boost fooler or call bob up?
Old 06-05-2010, 03:19 PM

You most probably have a corrupted ecm, welcome to the club. My truck does the exact same thing without a boostfooler or a MP-8/Quad box with a builtin boostfooler. Everyone will tell you to keep checking for boost leaks but in reality you usually can hear them if you have one. I know a whole group of people who all are having boost problems and have all troubleshot it back to an ecm problem. Good Luck, Tom J.
Old 06-05-2010, 04:12 PM

how would you know for certain if its a ecm issue?
Old 06-05-2010, 07:15 PM

Your truck is acting exactly like mine and I have been troubleshooting mine for 3 years. I have replaced every sensor and checked for boost leaks a hundred times. Mine got corrupted by a Bullydog programmer, I am almost certain. Truck runs fine with a boostfooler but my boost won't go above 40psi except in fourth gear below 2300rpm, then it will go to 50psi with ease. But once it hits 2300rpm it will defuel down to 40psi again. Take off the boostfooler and truck will buck and surge above 2300rpm if I am on the pedal and boost will go up to 36ish the truck will buck and it will drop down to 30 again. Run the Smarty alone and things get much better and add a boostfooler and truck runs almost perfect except I still can't make more than 40psi because of defueling. I have all the gauges on my truck so I can see what it is doing. I am sitting at 26,000psi rail and 40psi LP fuel press when these problems happen so i know it is not fuel related other than the truck has to be cutting the injector pulse duration thus the reduction in boost. Good Luck, Tom J.
Old 06-05-2010, 07:17 PM

oh wow...that sucks. i know when i have both running my truck runs fine so i'm hoping that means that i do not have a bad ecm. the smarty is the only programmer that i've used but i did buy the truck used as well.
Old 06-06-2010, 09:30 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nwflyoda
so my questions is this, does anyone know of an update for the smarty s-06 pod that will fix this or do i need to get a boost fooler or call bob up?
You just need a boost fooler, Smarty does NOT boost fool amd the WG off option does not work on all trucks. You already proved that with the MP8 hooked up.

Does your MP8 boost fool when its on low or off? Just run it if it will fool all the time.

Originally Posted by BigJohnston
Run the Smarty alone and things get much better and add a boostfooler and truck runs almost perfect except I still can't make more than 40psi because of defueling.
Thats a glitch in the 06-07 ECU's that bites a lot of people. Not corruption from another downloader either as some have put the Smarty on first with no other mods and have the problem.

Quick Reply: possible smarty tune/program issue