3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Poor mileage after silencer ring removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
in the mean time,,,I"m a believer in BIgGUNS way of thinking,,took acouple coarses in micrometeorolgy back when i used to hang glide,,,u wouldn"t believe how air can compress and roll
Old 01-27-2006, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by bigblock2stroke
Not true about the airflow(the turbo speed is true 120000rpm)

A cone is a decreasing diameter tube. As the diameter of the pipe decreases you get increased pressure for a given amount of flow therby increasing the likelyhood of more turbulent flow.

You believe what you want but the silencer ring is just a silencer, not a flow improver/director/smoother.

The turning vanes are there to help "direct" the flow after the silencer.
The turbo speed is variable .......my comments about airflow are absolutely true.

When air acts on a convergent duct, the pressure on the turbo side decreases and the velocity increases. The pressure increase on the filter side, while real, is meaningless.

Dont believe me???? Take a garden hose without a nozzle on it and turn on the water to where water dribbles from it. The water will exit the hose an inch or so and just "fall", in an unspectacular fashion, to the ground. At the same flow rate, add a nozzle to it thereby restricting the flow. The increased velocity created will shoot the water farther and straighter. If you were to measure the pressure within that stream, it would be lower than the water still inside the hose. If that water stream had a task to perform....such as spinning a pinwheel, fan, or turbo...it would spin it far better, faster, and easier. Not because of pressure but because of velocity. Whether we're talking air or water, Bernouli's Principal applies whether the the substance is being pushed, or sucked (as in this case) through the convergent duct.

The "vanes" you describe is an effort by Dodge (and a cheesey effort) to eliminate the turbulence created by the elbow in an effort to obtain smooth laminar flow at the turbo inlet.

I'm not arguing what the ring is called. I'm not arguing that it reduces noise. I'm not arguing that a Dodge or Cummins tech might state that it does nothing but reduce noise. (like they'd know what the designers were thinking anyway) Heck, someone even told me that Gale Banks said that the ring does nothing. (He's wrong)

What I'm stating is only one fact...that a turbo with the ring installed will perform better than a turbo with the ring removed. There's no way around it...it's the law physics.
Old 01-27-2006, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by 06Cummins
anyone tried the tornado
Actually the Tornado is based on sound theory. The problem is that any vortex that it creates, is undone by the intake plumbing, throttle body, and manifold. Odds are good that it performed as advertised in some applications. Now way it could in all applications.
Old 01-27-2006, 09:28 PM

I gotta ask.....why doesn't the turbo just come with this ring built in to smooth out the air flow (if it actually does make the turbo work better)? This just doesn't make sense to me. If it does nothing, it would be much easier (cost effective) for the turbo manufacturer to make the turbo with this design built in rather than having all the extra cut-outs that the ring covers up.

I am not knocking any engineers who have chimed in here, but the engineers that design these turbos should have the silencer ring bulit in if it is beneficial, right? That is what they get paid the big bucks for. While what I am reading makes sense on jets, maybe it doesn't make sense on a turbo even though the CONCEPT is the same. Just a thought as we have all been baffled by instances that we thought we knew what was "right".

As far as my experience goes, the ring didn't make my truck any louder with the stock intake. But once I put my Stage 2 AFE intake on, it was REALLY LOUD. I put the ring back in since I thought it may get annoying on long trips. This brought the volume down considerably. I didn't really notice any mileage or performance increase/decrease.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by IsItFast
I gotta ask.....why doesn't the turbo just come with this ring built in to smooth out the air flow (if it actually does make the turbo work better)? This just doesn't make sense to me. If it does nothing, it would be much easier (cost effective) for the turbo manufacturer to make the turbo with this design built in rather than having all the extra cut-outs that the ring covers up.

I am not knocking any engineers who have chimed in here, but the engineers that design these turbos should have the silencer ring bulit in if it is beneficial, right? That is what they get paid the big bucks for. While what I am reading makes sense on jets, maybe it doesn't make sense on a turbo even though the CONCEPT is the same. Just a thought as we have all been baffled by instances that we thought we knew what was "right".

As far as my experience goes, the ring didn't make my truck any louder with the stock intake. But once I put my Stage 2 AFE intake on, it was REALLY LOUD. I put the ring back in since I thought it may get annoying on long trips. This brought the volume down considerably. I didn't really notice any mileage or performance increase/decrease.
If you look in the Holset repair manual for this turbo, there are many applications that it's used in, and numerous ways to mount it. including bolted flanges. The "Silencer Ring" is actually called an inlet baffle and is an option that is not used in all applications. You also have to consider the evolution of it's use in the Dodge. For example, over the years turbos keep spinning faster and faster and the boost keeps getting raised. There was likely a time when spool speed and boost levels wer such that inlet flow control wasn't as critical. As rugged and dependable as these turbos are, simply placing your hand over the compressor opening under full boost for a microsecond, will instantly overspeed the spool causing the turbo to explode with a force that can send shrapnell through the casing. Airflow at the inlet is critical.
Old 01-28-2006, 03:35 PM

Item 34 is the so called silencer ring....

HX30/32/35/40 Service Repair Manual Component Identification
Component List - HX30/32/35/40
2:6
Item No. Description Quantity
1 Repair Kit CHRA (Core)* 1
2 CHRA (Core) 1
4 Bearing Housing 1
5 Turbine Housing 1
6 Assembly, Turbine Wheel 1
7 Compressor Wheel 1
8 Compressor Housing 1
11 Journal Bearing* 2
12 Thrust Bearing* 1
13 Split Ring Seal, Turbine* 1
16 Split Ring Seal, Compressor* 1
22 Retaining Ring, Inlet Baffle 1
28 V-band Clamp, Turbine 0/1
31 Oil Slinger 1
32 O-Ring Seal, Bearing Housing* 1
33 Oil Baffle* 1
34 Inlet Baffle 1
36 Thrust Collar 1
38 Heat Shield 1
41 O-Ring Seal, Compressor Housing* 0/1
43 Oil Seal Plate 1
53 Gasket, Oil Outlet* 1
57 Bolt, Turbine Housing 0/6
61 Locknut, Compressor Wheel 1
62 Locknut, V-band* 0/1
64 Retaining Ring, Bearing* 4
66 Insert, Retaining Ring 1
70 Gasket, Oil Inlet* 0/1
71 Gasket, Turbine Housing* 1
Note
Exploded views may not contain all listed components.
Old 01-28-2006, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by goose2
In talking to cummins. They say that the silencer ring is installed "after" they send dodge the motor. They also say it does "nothing" for performance.(removed or left in) Dodge installed them to quit the turbo noise.
I agree...with 15 years with the company, Ive seen crate motors come with and without...
Old 01-28-2006, 07:12 PM

"ya know,,i bet if u could put something in that silencer tube to get the air spinning in the same direction as the turbo blades u would see a power boost,,at least a faster spool-up"

I totally disagree anyone who tries this will be shopping for at least a new turbo! Ever heard of inlet guide vanes? the principle is get the air spinning the same direction as a fan wheel so the fan CANT grab the air as easily to unload a fan or a giant centrifugal chiller? IT WONT WORK DONT TRY IT!! Just over spool your turbo and could blow it up!

2ed a turbo although is similar to a "jet engine" it is not for one very simple reason its not as efficient a jet engine has no turns air comes in the front and right out the back straight through.....turbo is a centrifugal wheel and makes a 90 degree turn and the suction is right in the very center of the wheel the silencer ring does just what it says it does.....the housing has the "cut off plate" made by design in the housing basically to trim the air off the discharge side of the wheel and force it into the tubing that is where the efficiency of a centrifugal wheel is made not so much the suction I took my turning vanes out of the 90 at the suction cause they are there to curve the air after going through what looks to be a sound attenuator that has allot of turbulence by design so when I took it out I did not feel I needed the vanes .....It runs good like that but I am straight piped