3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Poor mileage after silencer ring removal?

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2006, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Poor mileage after silencer ring removal?

over the week end i removed my silencer ring (05 2500 48RE) and put in a Air Inlet tube from B&L (the one that replaces the stock air silencer between airbox and turbo) and it seems that i am getting Edit poor milage now. any ideas? i have no other mods.
Old 01-11-2006, 07:03 PM

It could be mental. By that I mean you like to hear the turbo spool up too much. I can diagnose these things well, as I have a similar disorder.

Jason
Old 01-11-2006, 07:17 PM

ditch the tube,if that don"t work put the ring back in,,i ditched my tube,,i believe the air straightening qualities of the stock silencers are a good thing,,however,,the outer baffles of the silencer should be covered up to increace air flow,check out my gallery to see what i did
Old 01-11-2006, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ed paul
ditch the tube,if that don"t work put the ring back in,,i ditched my tube,,i believe the air straightening qualities of the stock silencers are a good thing,,however,,the outer baffles of the silencer should be covered up to increace air flow,check out my gallery to see what i did

Are you running a box??
Old 01-11-2006, 07:27 PM

no,,I"m not running a box,,the silencer setup i have is just as loud as the torgue tube was,,the dimples in the cross member do nothing to quiet it down with the outer baffles coved up
Old 01-20-2006, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by ed paul
Hey ed paul,

I have not looked at the stock "ribs" that you covered up, what did you use to smooth them out?

I agree about the "air straightening qualities" and have seen several instances where "air straighteners" are used to help the air enter the turbo more efficiently. I have the TAG-III (turbo air guide) which follows your school of thought. There is also a great display at the Air and Space Museum in D.C. that shows these benefits.

Thanks!
Old 01-20-2006, 07:26 PM

reading about the tag is what made me ditch the torque tube,,also a diesel high performance article said to use 2 tags so i know air straightening is important,and i wanted the air director (the white one on the bottom hose) because i know air compresses at the bottom of a curve,,,,,anyways,,,,,,,,,,,i used 4 in. clothes dryer exhaust pipe, home depot sells 2 types,,get the thicker type it"s about five bucks,i tried the thinner stuff and it doesn"t work,,i measured the width and length of 1 of the 4 openings in the silencer,, i added about 1/32 to the width for a tight fit,the length i cut exact or just a hair short,,i used a small hand held cutting wheel to cut it out after drawing it out on the pipe with a sharpie( tried a tin snips ,but it bent the sheet metal too much),,after cutting out the first one,,i filed the edges to get rid of the burrs,,then sanded the edges with a pc. of emery cloth till smooth to make sure there weren"t any burrs to get sucked into the motor,,then i checked it for fit in the silencer,,it caught on every outer rib in the silencer so i used a thin long knife from the other end to help it over the ribs,,i made it a tight fit so it stays put and doesn"t get sucked into the turbo,, having the correct tight fit, i used that one as a template for the other 3,,when i suceeded in making and installing all 4,, i flushed it out with high pressure garden hose to get rid of any plastic shavings i might have peeled off while pushing the sheet metal in,,i even took an old tooth brush and brushed the edges where the metal slid in,,,it sounds like alot of work but after i got the first pc. done to use as a template for making the others it went pretty fast,,took me about 1/2 hour
Old 01-20-2006, 08:29 PM

Originally Posted by BlackSheep5
over the week end i removed my silencer ring (05 2500 48RE) and put in a Air Inlet tube from B&L (the one that replaces the stock air silencer between airbox and turbo) and it seems that i am getting Edit poor milage now. any ideas? i have no other mods.

thats cause you keep steppingon the gas to hear that awesome turbo sound! your mileage will come back after the newness wears of
Old 01-21-2006, 08:55 PM

im still getting bad mileage and im driving normal now.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BlackSheep5
im still getting bad mileage and im driving normal now.
The fins on the last bend (after the silencer) are there to HELP flow. IF you remove them, you will lose flow and potentially degrade fuel economy. You did make sure your air filter is good right?

The silencer robs airflow. If you remove the silencer and keep the "vanes", you should get more flow which should only help your compressor outlet temperatures, charge air cooler efficiency, and intake manifold temps.
Old 01-22-2006, 09:38 AM

I lost milage at first when I pulled the silencer.

Somehow after installing the AIRAID and tube my right foot got heavier.

I've settled down now and I get better milage than previous under same conditions. 16.3 mpg hand calc. combined city/hwy. Only 8500 miles on the rig so I still have more break in to go. As high as 18 mpg hwy if I keep it around 2K rpms

DT<*)))><
Old 01-22-2006, 04:27 PM

Removing the silencer ring will likely hurt performance. The SR is cone shaped and helps direct air towards the compressor wheel and eliminate turbulence, which in turn reduces noise (only slightly). The turbo can spin at 120,000 RPM's...smooth air hitting the compressor wheel is a good thing considering that the blade tips approach supersonic speeds.
Old 01-22-2006, 10:05 PM

In talking to cummins. They say that the silencer ring is installed "after" they send dodge the motor. They also say it does "nothing" for performance.(removed or left in) Dodge installed them to quit the turbo noise.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:08 AM

I figure i picked up about 30 hp by removing the ring!

Old 01-23-2006, 07:17 AM

OK What is a Tag lll
Joe

Quick Reply: Poor mileage after silencer ring removal?