3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ponder this

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 08:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ponder this

I was thinkin' about fuel pickups. I have read about guys running out of fuel with 1/2 to 1/4 tank of fuel in the tank. Has any one tried putting a bulkhead fitting in the bottom of the tank for the fuel pickup? I know on a hiperf. fuel cell the pickup is at the bottom rear of the cell.
Old 09-16-2007, 08:45 AM

I think most people would want to stay away from that since water and other trash settles to the bottom of the tank. Fuel cells usually don't stay full of fuel all the time so water doesn't have a chance to settle.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:10 AM
Banned

I will tell when the overhead is flashing "LOW FUEL" get fuel... I was at a job out in the boonies forgot to fuel up that morning and my low fuel light came on... ok it said I had 100 miles or so til empty but I was pulling 14k... I barely made it to the fuel pump... I was watching all my guages and at the hill at the top of my town my fuel pressure went to 0!!!! put it in nuetral and coasted.. Pulled up to the pump and stuck the nozzle in and she died..... DOOOH..

If your looking for more fuel get the vent kit...
Old 09-16-2007, 11:40 AM
madhat's monkey boy...

I think using a fitting at the bottom of the tank would have the same results as a standpipe. The fuel tank is so long, 1/4 of a tank moves around a lot. Unless you made some kind of a resevoir that would fill up as the fuel moves around the tank, I think you would have the same results with only being able to run down to 1/4 tank. I could be wrong though, as I have been before and will be again.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I ran mine out the very day I finished up with my Glacier system before I could get to the gas station I was wanting to go to. I died on a grade where they're replacing a bridge. I just rolled forward into a driveway that leveled the truck up and it fired right away. Then I drove to the station that was right in sight of me. Turns out that was a good decision as they still pump LSD.

At the time I was below 1/8th of a tank and was the lowest I've ever had it. I hope if I fill up at around 1/4 tank I'll be ok. At least I can go back to the stock pump if needed.
Old 09-16-2007, 01:41 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you are running out of fuel with 1/2 to 1/4 tank left then something is wrong with your system. The pickup is broken or cracked, or something. Or do you mean the gauge was reading 1/2 and the tank was empty? That's not a pickup problem.

Also, picking up the fuel from the very bottom of the tank IS a good idea, either with a dip tube down from the top or a bottom bulkhead fitting. Someone mentioned that it would get the water or trash from the bottom. That's what you want to do. Get it out of there. Get the water removed so you don't get algae. Don't store water in the tank. Eventually the trash and moisture might acumulate to where it would reach the pickup anyway. The pickup should be very close to the bottom and have a coarse strainer on it.

New vehicles and boats cannot be made with bottom fittings on the tanks because they are more likely to drain the tank if they get broken.

It would be nice if we had a tank drain in case we got a load of water. A deep well with a drain valve on it.

John
Old 09-16-2007, 02:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Raspy
If you are running out of fuel with 1/2 to 1/4 tank left then something is wrong with your system. The pickup is broken or cracked, or something. Or do you mean the gauge was reading 1/2 and the tank was empty? That's not a pickup problem.

Also, picking up the fuel from the very bottom of the tank IS a good idea, either with a dip tube down from the top or a bottom bulkhead fitting. Someone mentioned that it would get the water or trash from the bottom. That's what you want to do. Get it out of there. Get the water removed so you don't get algae. Don't store water in the tank. Eventually the trash and moisture might acumulate to where it would reach the pickup anyway. The pickup should be very close to the bottom and have a coarse strainer on it.

New vehicles and boats cannot be made with bottom fittings on the tanks because they are more likely to drain the tank if they get broken.

It would be nice if we had a tank drain in case we got a load of water. A deep well with a drain valve on it.

John

No kidding, you run out at 1/4 or 1/2 tank Uhh, something is wrong! My light comes on, and I can and will drive @ 50-75 more miles before I fill up. I try and run my tank as low as possible everytime, just like John said, to get all that crap out of there. Let my filter do it's job. I replace my fuel filter every other oil change sometimes every 3rd oil change.

Trending Topics

Old 09-16-2007, 04:19 PM

I would have to agree on the something being wrong if you run out at 1/4 tank. I have ran mine very low several times without even a sputter. I once had to go over 100 miles with the light on. At about 30 miles till walk on the overhead it flashes lo fuel. I went almost 35 miles after that and the needle was below the red line resting on the pin when i pulled up to the pump and the motor ran smooth the whole time. Took 36.8 gallons to fill the 35 gallon tank.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:28 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

The guys running below a quarter, Are you running a aftermarket pick-up tube? If you have the in tank pump your only option for lots of fuel is a draw straw or something similar. I know when I get to 1/4 and start taking fast turns etc. the fuel pressure will drop a second or so, letting me know its time to put in some fuel. Even on Glaciers site, it states you may have issues below 1/4 tank.
Old 09-16-2007, 05:45 PM

tank

I have a couple years on my bottom feed fuel line. I used a 90* fitting suppling a fass pump. No problems so far.
Old 09-16-2007, 06:02 PM

Thanks for all the info!! That is why I love this site!!! I am going to be upgrading my fuel system in the spring and , I don't want any problems.