3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!
View Poll Results: POLL: Injector failures on 2004.5 & up
Injector(s) have never failed & needed repair - no fuel box
38.55%
Injector(s) have failed & needed repair - no fuel box
8.03%
Injector(s) have never failed & needed repair - with fuel box
39.36%
Injector(s) have failed & needed repair - with fuel box
14.06%
Voters: 249. You may not vote on this poll

POLL: Injector failures on 2004.5 & up

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2006, 09:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Superduty
It is a pretty dramatic difference, too.

Without a box, 2 in 25 have failures or 12.5%.

With a box, 11 in 23 or just about 50%.

People with a box have 4x the frequency of failure.

I think there are a few things that need to be noted here. First lets deal with the pressure issue.

The only time the injector would be over taxed is when the rail pressure went above stock. So leave me out of the question and look at the Ez, VA, TS, BD etc. Unless you are beating on the truck you will never get the rail up over 22-23K psi. If you have a rail pressure gauge you can see this. So under normal driving instance how would it be possible to say that a pressure box would hurt the injectors? If you were beating on it all the time then I would agree, but on average most people will never even begin to tax their injectors.

Secondly the poll does not say pressure box. The people in the poll Could have an Edge, TST, VA, or maybe even a Dl'r or some other type of fuel stretch box.

Thirdly we do not know why the inejector failed. You know that fuel stretch boxes will also put some strain on the injectors, most noticably the solenoids. You put a pretty good load on the solenoids by holding them open to increase the fuel stretch. Not saying it is bad, but it could easily be as responsible as a pressure box.

Also we need to make note that a lot of people on the forums that participate on a regular basis have some pretty extreme trucks. When you are stacking boxes and pushing everything to the limit to make 500+ horsepower you are going to have some failures.

Just things that need to be thought about.

Quad
Old 01-18-2006, 07:59 AM

I can't remember for sure but, seems like my truck was at about 28K miles when I had injector number 6 changed out. Mine didn't stick open but, rather wouldn't fire during cold starts. It wasn't real noticable except that I always start in cold weather with Jacob's Exhaust Brake on and let it warm up that way. Until the engine is running on all 6, it won't let the brake start working or it will keep starting the brake and then stopping it in each cycle.

I had a not so wonderful experience getting the dealer to fix it to. I explained the problem to them and told them exactly how to make it happen. The said they couldn't dupulicate it so I told them again how to do it and told them to keep the truck until they figured it out because it wasn't right. The next day they told me, "Well, our tech found your problem, however slight that it was...." I came unhinged at that comment. I didn't pay this much money for this truck to have it "sorta right".

Anyways, I wasn't running any boxes at the time and have not had any problems with the injectors since. I run a lot of highway miles with it unloaded and tow about 20% of the time. When I tow with it, I usually have about 12K behind it going across the Rockies to somewhere west of Denver.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:47 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by qzilla

Also we need to make note that a lot of people on the forums that participate on a regular basis have some pretty extreme trucks. When you are stacking boxes and pushing everything to the limit to make 500+ horsepower you are going to have some failures.

Quad
I agree with Quad on this one, this is an interesting poll and may show a trend, but its not very scientific. Heck I almost caught myself just reading the results and not voting because I have not had any issues.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I like this poll as a start. to really get to the bottom of cause wile running a box you would almost need to see what kind of box/boxes were on the truck.

for example it seem you are more than 4 times likely to have a failure with a modded truck so far. that is significat unless it is scewed by the fact that there are just more modded trucks on this site.

now inside of those failures the 12 that posted how many were stacked, what kind of boxes were they running, were they all pressure oriented.

for exmple it was stated that under normal driving with a presure box the rail pressure is not elevated so a presure box should not hurt it. the reality is there could be threshold to a failure. maybe a few seconds at too high of pressure is enough to push a borderline injector over the limit.

maybe it would be an even mix. maybe holding the injector open longer with a duration box makes some of the marginal injectors fail earlier.

I think another poll where you have the person post if you had a box and an injector failure was there a presure increase. this would give you an idea of how much more likely added fuel pressure is to making injectors fail or if it is a combination of duration and pressure.

also what milage they occured at would be helpful. the thread would need to be kind of kept to people who had failures only posting in the milage as well as type of box. they baring the reality that maybe there are just too many people with mods on this site scewing the result you could come to a conclution if it was mainly pressure, and or duration, or maybe just highly modifed.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Superduty
It is a pretty dramatic difference, too.

Without a box, 2 in 25 have failures or 12.5%.

With a box, 11 in 23 or just about 50%.

People with a box have 4x the frequency of failure.
2 in 25 is 8%, not 12.5%. What was I thinking ?

The mod'd trucks have about a 6x greater replacement frequency.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:38 AM

Well i've been told that the bdpp is a pressure box, and im pretty sure the edge ez my dad is running is too, and the only time we have problems with the injectors is when we are on it hard for a while which means that its building the pressure up in the rail too high. Im hoping we can get rid of the ez and that the bd will stay at a low enough pressure but im not sure its gonna work.
Old 01-18-2006, 12:13 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
i put a BDPP DL on my truck while back, and begin paying more attention to these threads.

I think you have 2 scenarios here:
1 - stock, with the odd failure (maybe poor design, maybe built on a friday)
2 - Stacking boxes, and running it hard, every stop lite.

i think we need to know if ONE box by itself with cause you to hurt the motor.

i think the BDPP DL in Perf (2nd setting) is AWESOME, so I don't see the need to stack,

but i would like to see folks edit thier posts as to stacking/non stacking.

i think Quad is right, if you mod it hard, and beat it hard, it breaks hard,
if you mod it easy, and drive it hard occassionally, it may break occassionally.

but mod it easy (one box - lower settings) and it will be dead stock reliable.

that make sense?
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM

hard to say without better analyzation of the data. seems it is likely modded trucks have a higher failure rate. without know what the mods are it is all assumptions past that point. I still think the rate of failure may be skewed a bit by the post being in the performace section. the rate may not be 3 to 4 times. maybe closer to 2 times.

I am not going to pretend to be smart enough to know whether it is stacking (hp related basically), duration, and/or pressure without more data.
Old 08-19-2006, 08:46 PM

i only have 3000 miles on my 06. how many miles do i need before my vote would be concidered legit?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:14 PM

Are there any signs to look for when your injector(s) are going bad before they cause to much damage? Like low fuel pressure?
Old 08-20-2006, 01:16 PM

I have oil spots all over my drive way , from the "Blow By Tube" I am wonder though... Some say this is normal others say no it is'nt. But could this be signs of injector failure? I have no oil warning light etc.. Just curious. Truck has 43,000 miles on it no boxes or downloaders just a AFE stage 2....
Old 08-20-2006, 02:16 PM

I voted failed with pressure box, but I will detail that. I was seeing some white smoke at cold starts with a little rough idle for about a minute. This started about 6k. I installed an early DR Performance Stage II pressure box at about 7k. That box was heavy pressure, I could tell just from the sound. Even at idle the rattle was there. I ran the box for about 10 days, long enough to get a few runs in at the track. Then I removed it and returned for full refund. It just did not sound good. It definitely added power. The white smoke and rough idle on cold start got worse farily quickly after that. I am pretty sure the injector was going bad before the pressure box, but the box certainly could have excellerated the problem.

Dealer diagnosed leaking #6 injector and replaced at 9,000 miles. I have not had an injector problem since and that was 40,000 miles, 5 boxes, 2 downloaders, and many combinations ran hard at the track.
Old 08-20-2006, 02:35 PM

Make sure the oil level is proper in the motor.

Originally Posted by Texas600
I have oil spots all over my drive way , from the "Blow By Tube" I am wonder though... Some say this is normal others say no it is'nt. But could this be signs of injector failure? I have no oil warning light etc.. Just curious. Truck has 43,000 miles on it no boxes or downloaders just a AFE stage 2....
Old 08-20-2006, 02:53 PM
wap

Put the quad race on a little before 1,000 miles, I now have over 28,000 and just switched to the ts mp8 so I could stack it with a tst when the time comes. I ran the quad on 60hp 85% of th time 100 10% and 130 5%. The mp8 has been on 75-100% since I have had it and I have had zero injector problems.
Old 08-20-2006, 03:15 PM

It seems the injector failures happen with HIGHER SETTING boxes. As they raise fuel pressure HIGHER to get the achieved HP/TORQUE ratings.

The lower setting boxes seem to keep the pressure just a tad above "stock" and therefore are less likely to damage the injectors.

Anyone with a LOW setting box with an injector failure?

Quick Reply: POLL: Injector failures on 2004.5 & up