3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Which PMT setting is geared for mileage?

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2008, 08:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which PMT setting is geared for mileage?

I went from 1.10.12 i think, back down to 1.00.9 so that i could upload crazy larry. I usually run it on stock or tow and then turn it up when i get the need for speed. which setting is designed for optimum mileage?
thanks
Old 06-17-2008, 11:16 AM

Old 06-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Your going to get your best milage in Crazy Larry setting.....if you can keep your foot out of it that is.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:14 PM

thats what i figured cause of all the timing, but i didnt know about the rest of the factors in the crazy larry tune.
thanks Bud I appreciate your promptness.
Old 06-17-2008, 05:24 PM

I'll agree with bud. I have found the best in larry. Last hand calculation with a mix of city/highway and a short haul with the horse taxi revealed 22.8 MPG average.
Old 06-17-2008, 07:31 PM

Now, this brings me to another question. don't get me wrong, i love my PMT. I think it was one of my best mods. But, If i can take the crazy larry tune, and get the highest horsepower, and the best mileage out of it....... then what is the use in getting shift on the fly detuning? I could see the use in shift on the fly if say, the crazy larry had pressure and timing, and all the rest had just the timing for mileage. And why am I on here defending Bully Dog against comparable downloaders? Couldn't I get a smadownloaderrty that doesn't offer shift on the fly, for less than half the price, and load the best setting and drive like i got some sense?
Old 06-17-2008, 09:21 PM

anyone.... Bud......anyone......
Old 06-17-2008, 09:51 PM

if your all for the pmt then why did you ask this question...if you tow alot and have a stock turbo then you have to be able to turn down the fuel if you plan on goin more than 50ft...most know towing with the stock turbo n crazy larry is rarely an option
Old 06-18-2008, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by Nsomniac05
Now, this brings me to another question. don't get me wrong, i love my PMT. I think it was one of my best mods. But, If i can take the crazy larry tune, and get the highest horsepower, and the best mileage out of it....... then what is the use in getting shift on the fly detuning? I could see the use in shift on the fly if say, the crazy larry had pressure and timing, and all the rest had just the timing for mileage. And why am I on here defending Bully Dog against comparable downloaders? Couldn't I get a smadownloaderrty that doesn't offer shift on the fly, for less than half the price, and load the best setting and drive like i got some sense?
Not really sure what your trying to do here? The PMT is our top of the line and the most expensive, because it offers you guages as well. If you just want a downloader then we offer a Triple Dog (Which still has on-the-fly capability) for a lot less money, or a power pup (No on-the-fly) for even less money.

On another note we are getting ready to release our new E3 Downloader for even less money than the power pup with only one setting for fuel economy.

So I guess to answer your question we do offer products like your talking about. If you want more info on them I can provide that. If you want me to comment on someone elses product then you will be disappointed.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:13 PM

dieselkid6 answered my question on one good purpose for shift on the fly. I did not know this because i have never towed with my new truck or any truck that has fuel and electronic upgrades.

thanks for bearing with me.
Old 06-18-2008, 03:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bud Kunz
Not really sure what your trying to do here? The PMT is our top of the line and the most expensive, because it offers you guages as well. If you just want a downloader then we offer a Triple Dog (Which still has on-the-fly capability) for a lot less money, or a power pup (No on-the-fly) for even less money.

On another note we are getting ready to release our new E3 Downloader for even less money than the power pup with only one setting for fuel economy.

So I guess to answer your question we do offer products like your talking about. If you want more info on them I can provide that. If you want me to comment on someone elses product then you will be disappointed.
Is the new E3 downloader just timing/duration for the 50hp/100tq economy setting or does it also add rail pressure? What % MPG gains could be expected during normal driving and towing?
Old 06-18-2008, 05:05 PM

We are doing testing now to ensure that this product gives optimum mileage in the economy setting. As is stated above up to this point crazy larry has given the best numbers for economy. We are now aiming for the same or better MPG as crazy larry, but keeping the HP gain to a modest 50HP. We will achieve this with a combination of timing, fuel stretch, and pressure increases.

The mark is 20% better economy or better in a package that can be run safely without worry of damaging the truck whatsoever.
Old 06-20-2008, 12:50 AM

Should I use crazy larry on basically stock truck?

Just put a PMT on my 2004.5 RAM 3500 dually 2WD auto. Running Performance mode, truck says 23 MPG (compared with typical 17 MPG). Must say, I love the power . Since hand calc usually shows the actual mileage at about 19, maybe I will get closer to 25)?!?

I am wondering if, with only slightly larger exhaust and an AFE oil-bath air filter, should use crazy larry? I don't want to blow the turbo. I am new to performance diesel (have decent perf gasoline experience). Can I expect much more out of crazy larry than what I am already seeing as far as MPG goes.

Mileage is not my only reason for the PMT, also want power when I need it. Just want to be safe (wife will kill me if I damage the truck after spending so much on the PMT). Thanks.
Old 06-20-2008, 05:43 AM

crazy larry is not that much different than the newer extreme mode, but it is a night and day difference from any version's performance mode. if you haven't ran it yet, i guarantee you will crack a smile the first time you get on it. I ran crazy larry for about 3 months on the stock turbo and it was like new when i took it off. The clutch is a different story though. If you cant afford a new clutch or tranny, then hold off on CL. dont expect to get more than 6 months off of the stock one running CL. But my rear main seal was leaking which contributed to my clutch failure also. whether CL caused that or not....
Old 06-20-2008, 02:13 PM

hey bud are there any new options/ features/ programs for the PMT in the near future.

Quick Reply: Which PMT setting is geared for mileage?