3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Please Help - Trans. nightmare

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2008, 10:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Please Help - Trans. nightmare

I took my truck to a transmission shop to have a Georand torque converter installed. This guy said he had done them before, no problem. Actually later I found out that he had done my friends truck too, no problems. Anyway, I have taken my truck back to him three times to fix an oil leak at the band adjuster bolt and he cannot seem to fix it. He keeps telling me to bring it back and he will fix it, but I don't trust him anymore. The last time I took it in I thought it was fixed until about a week later it was leaking again. I looked at it and all they did was cover it up with silicone. I know it is going to cost me out the @#% to get this fixed. Does anyone know of a transmission shop in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area that could fix this? Nobody I can find will touch these transmissions. I'm tired of having to clean up my garage floor all the time.
Old 11-09-2008, 10:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Is this a business or a guy in his personal garage? If it's a business, I would attempt to get a picture of the silicone idiocy and then tell him he has one more chance to do it right before you take the picture to the better business bureau with your report of how he conducts business.
Old 11-10-2008, 04:34 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
You might give James Northum a call. His shop is in Midlothian. He is a certified DTT trans builder but also an authorized Goerend's Installer. Perhaps he can help or even work out something with Dave Goerend. James knows these transmission thoroughly. (972) 467-3702

I am very happy with his build of my trans..DTT.

Old 11-10-2008, 06:09 AM

Hmmm, I'm not sure how installing a converter would make it leak from that area unless they dropped the trans while they had it out and cracked the case....
If it were my truck, I'd take the lock nut off, back the bolt out some keeping track of how many turns you back it out, clean it thoroughly with some carb cleaner, let it dry, put some type of good sealant all around the bolt, then tighten it back the same amount of turns that you backed it out and reinstall the locknut. If it still leaks then you may have a crack in the case....
Old 11-10-2008, 07:36 AM

I'm with Dodgezilla. The silicon is a crappy "fix" that I have seen other shops do and isn't working in this case. Him pulling the trans to install a converter won't make it leak. Either it was leaking before or you got other problems.

Take it to someone else. If it is just the nut, it should be a cheap (less than $50.) repair.
Old 11-10-2008, 07:55 AM

Thanks for the help guys. This is a shop and unfortunately with his attitude and the way he conducts business I dont' think he would care if I reported him. That's why I would never take my truck back there, even for a free fix.
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 AM

Well how about a name of the place so others don't have the same problems.
Old 11-10-2008, 03:08 PM

Lone Star Transmission in Rockwall, TX. Like I said, he did my friends truck and he has not had a problem. The guy has always been nice, but after three times I don't think he is capable. The silicone thing just really ticked me off!
Old 11-10-2008, 05:00 PM

I dont know about the Rockwall transmission shop, but I fully reccomend James Northum as well. Great guy and will treat you right! I wouldnt go anywhere else in DFW for trans work, he's your man.
Old 11-10-2008, 08:58 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
Is this a business or a guy in his personal garage? If it's a business, I would attempt to get a picture of the silicone idiocy and then tell him he has one more chance to do it right before you take the picture to the better business bureau with your report of how he conducts business.
The BBB has no power............when you register a complaint it is just listed so if anyone were to check they would know there was a complaint.
In Cali there is the B.A.R. they actually have some power if the shop did anything unethical and charged for it.

Bob
Old 11-11-2008, 10:32 AM

Word of mouth is more powerful than BBB.
Old 11-11-2008, 01:28 PM

Rays Transmission in Ft Worth---just built mine to a Stage 3 level with a ATS converter and a Aurora 3000. Flawless work they are also an ATS installer good folks been using them for many years..
Old 11-11-2008, 06:38 PM

If I owned the shop then I think I would try a little harder to make you happy BUTTTTTTT, as I said earlier, there is nothing in a converter install that would cause your trans to leak from that point and he has probably told you that and now he has washed his hands of it. Not the best way to do business but really, how much time would you want to spend at no charge trying to fix something that you are positive has nothing to do with the work you did...

I used to build some mild street BB MOPAR engines for spare cash. Well, I built a nice 440 for a guy's 69 Road Runner with all the parts he provided including his old factory carburetor. I put it all together and the car ran fine. He parked it at a self-storage facility because he didn't have a place to park it at his residence. Well, a few weeks later he calls me and is all upset because the car is running like crap. I take my time and drive over to where the car is parked and discover that the problem is his junky carburetor needs to be rebuilt. I make some adjustments to it and get it running for him but also tell him the carb needs to be rebuilt or replaced. He decides that I should do it for free because he already paid me to build the engine for him. I told him that was not part of our agreement and I refused. He called me and left messages for a while but finally gave up. I probably would have helped him if he hadn't started acting like I was ripping him off by not fixing this.
The whole point of this is that the work I did had absolutely nothing to do with the problems he had afterwards. Should I have been liable to correct his issue just because I worked on the car last? I think not...

I'm not saying this is what happened but it is a possible scenario. Try fixing it up just like I said and see if that helps. You really have to clean the area well or the trans fluid will keep the sealant from forming a good tight bond and it will continue to leak. I always used Black RTV sealant for stuff like this back when I was racing my Road Runner....
Old 11-11-2008, 09:51 PM

The torque converter came with a high strength lever, apply strap and anchor for the band. So I'm sure the adjuster bolt had to be removed to install these parts.
Old 11-12-2008, 12:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
North Texas Transmissions in Arlington.

Quick Reply: Please Help - Trans. nightmare