3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Planning out suspension and tires for my '07 Mega.

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2011, 11:09 PM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
X2 on Don's offerings. He'll call you back within 24 hrs normally and not oversell you. The stock rims are 17 x 8 and strong. They'll do fine.

If you go with 18 x 8.5 with 5.75" of bs a Toyo 285-75-18 is a cool size. Over 35" tall without the fuel sapping width of others out there.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fabricating the e-mail...no pun intended.

If anyone can positively confirm/deny that being a spring spacer I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

I used to think I wanted 5-6" lift and 37s, but it looks like 37s (if I even go with them) will fit fine with a 3" lift. I don't use the truck in a manner where I would need the extra travel or whatever.
Old 10-17-2011, 12:55 AM

Originally Posted by Dave88LX

Hmmm. Are you suggesting skip the 5100/17s and go right to 19.5"/5165s? Probably pretty pricey.

Carli is now selling 5165's with custom valving...same as their 7100 valving profile. I'd go that route, with their springs, if you're considering 5165's. Unless you get them from Carli/one of their distributors, you're gonna get off-the-shelf generic valving. It's a big step-up from a 5100.
Old 10-17-2011, 01:14 AM

...and is the 5100 a big step up from the blue/yellow ones that are on my truck? I hear those are a huge step up from stock. (Not being a smartass!)
Old 10-17-2011, 12:50 PM

rims and tires suggestions

I have a similar truck and its time for new rims and tires so lets hear your favourite options. I mostly travel on paved roads and leaning towards downsizing from 37s to 35s. Winter driving conditions are just around the corner here in Alberta. I just got a quote for Nitto trail grapplers installed for 2500 CAD. Ouch
Old 10-17-2011, 01:20 PM

THUREN or CARLI are the only two manufacturers of suspension for our Dodges, aren't they????
Old 10-17-2011, 02:02 PM

Originally Posted by pwknapp
THUREN or CARLI are the only two manufacturers of suspension for our Dodges, aren't they????
I didn't catch a smiley or a sarcasm tag, so I don't know if that was serious, or saying Kore and Lorenz are junk...
Old 10-17-2011, 03:16 PM

I have the KORE Leveling, it certainly is not junk. Taking into consideration that they were the first out there putting together suspension kits for Dodge trucks, that many people have their kits and they are perfectly satisfied with them, KORE is a product line worth consideration. All I have done to my leveling kit is added the next up in line Bilstein 5165's, and I did that due to going to the 19.5's and the stiffer commercial tires, otherwise I would still be riding on the 5100's.

I am not familiar with the Lorentz products, but there are many truck out there running their suspension products.

ALL these different suspension kits utilize many of the same products - like Bilstein, FOX and King shocks . . and they also use similarly manufactured springs, etc, they just put them together differently, valve them differently, etc . . It's all about how you use your truck that goes to what kind of a package you are looking at getting into.

Even the off the shelf shocks are valved using basic scientific data that applies to our trucks, and many people go to them without one issue/problem because their design is suited to meet/exceed our trucks needs.

CD
Old 10-18-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwknapp

I didn't catch a smiley or a sarcasm tag, so I don't know if that was serious, or saying Kore and Lorenz are junk...

Do some research. Thuren and Carli spend countless time, $$$$, and energy testing their products in the real world. Dodge products that work on our trucks. Custom valving and countless other details associated with 8k Dodge trucks pounding off road. Carli has added some Ford products recently but if either of them offer a product it has been tested to the max in situations way beyond what most of us will ever encounter. I spent a year researching the suspension I wanted to put on my truck and could not be happier with the Thuren set-up I have with additional Carli products that have been added. And both these guys have customer service second to none. They personally have answered questions when making a purchase decisions and back their stuff 100%. Don even sent me some new CA bushings free of charge because he had developed a more durable material, and that was almost three years after I had purchased his arms.

Again, do some research about them and the others mentioned and make an informed decision. There is no feeling like driving triple digits over some high mountain desert two tracks in control of your vehicle.
Old 10-18-2011, 03:52 PM

...and is the 5100 a big step up from the blue/yellow ones that are on my truck? I hear those are a huge step up from stock. (Not being a smartass!)
Let's put it this way:
You'd be wasting money if you're thinking of replacing a perfectly good set of blue/yellow "Heavy Duty" Bilsteins, with a set of 5100s.
Old 10-19-2011, 12:13 PM

I contacted Don and this was his suggestion for what my requirements are. I appreciate his honesty and being upfront about his arms being overkill for my needs and not trying to sell me the kitchen sink.

I don't think he knows I have the Bilstein HD shocks, nor do I know if they will offer enough travel with the 3" of lift. (~1.75" in the back it looks like it will be). I don't know if the Thuren Overland are as good, worse, or better than the blue/yellow Bilsteins.

You know you can get 37's in pretty easy with what you "need" from your truck. Here is the list.... You would keep your rear leafs stock to deal with your loading dutes.

- Thuren Overland shocks
- Thuren 3" coils
- Thuren v3 trackbar
- Thuren dual heim swaybar links
- Thuren rear leaf shackle
- Thuren v3 +1/2" control arms

My arms are a little overkill, and any +1/2"(NO MORE THAN THAT) will work if you prefer not to spend so much.

You must use stock offset wheels to clear the 37's with this kit.

If budget allows my Fox 2.0 remote res shock package runs $1049 vs the $280 Overland package.
Old 10-19-2011, 06:23 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I don't think the yellow/blue Bilstein HD shocks have enough travel for any lift in the front. I've always seen these listed as stock replacement and the silver/black 5100s listed as good for up to 3" of lift.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:53 PM

I contacted Don and this was his suggestion for what my requirements are. I appreciate his honesty and being upfront about his arms being overkill for my needs and not trying to sell me the kitchen sink.

I don't think he knows I have the Bilstein HD shocks, nor do I know if they will offer enough travel with the 3" of lift. (~1.75" in the back it looks like it will be). I don't know if the Thuren Overland are as good, worse, or better than the blue/yellow Bilsteins.

You know you can get 37's in pretty easy with what you "need" from your truck. Here is the list.... You would keep your rear leafs stock to deal with your loading dutes.

- Thuren Overland shocks
- Thuren 3" coils
- Thuren v3 trackbar
- Thuren dual heim swaybar links
- Thuren rear leaf shackle
- Thuren v3 +1/2" control arms

My arms are a little overkill, and any +1/2"(NO MORE THAN THAT) will work if you prefer not to spend so much.

You must use stock offset wheels to clear the 37's with this kit.

If budget allows my Fox 2.0 remote res shock package runs $1049 vs the $280 Overland package.
Don's spot-on with his suggestion, his customer service is the best.

His Overland shocks will be a definite step-up from your Bilsteins, plus like AggieJustin says, you're going to need a longer shock anyway so this is a well-priced solution. If you can swing his Fox's, they will be another step-up.

I run a Carli suspension with stock arms. They're fine, certainly not required for most use. I'm eventually going to go with arms, but from a planning/future upgrade/affordability perspective, do springs/shocks before the arms. Way more bang for the buck.

For the best ride possible, you should also look into swapping out your stock rear leafs with some of Don's. The biggest improvement in ride on these trucks IMHO comes from upgrading the rear.
Old 10-19-2011, 11:34 PM

Everything is about tradeoffs and what you want. Don recommended going with Carli's dual leafs and I did. Can not be happier with how my truck rides and handles. The tradeoff is I still will need to get my long travel air bags installed so the rear of the truck will not sag when loaded up...
Old 10-20-2011, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by AkitaSumo
The tradeoff is I still will need to get my long travel air bags installed so the rear of the truck will not sag when loaded up...

You'll love those LT airbags

Quick Reply: Planning out suspension and tires for my '07 Mega.