3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Piston temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 10:00 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Marco
Later timing = More boost.
Earlier timing = Less boost.

The thermal energy works in the combustion chamber rather than in the turbo.
This translates into higher average pressure on the piston, thus more work is done with less fuel consumption.

Makes sense?
Yep...

Thanks again...
Old 02-08-2008, 10:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If i had 5 friends blow up their motors with 5 different products, i suppose i'd be a little gun shy as well....but you can't refute the history of the smarty, it overwhelmingly positive feedback on multiple boards and by 100's of people, the awesome product evolution, and Smarty's creator (Marco) and Bob W being on the site to answer questions.....go for it...besides after all the other power adders that you know that melted motors...you dont have any other choice other than stock!

Smarty Rocks
Old 02-09-2008, 12:03 AM

Could somebody explain where the smoke went too (not marco or bob) on the latest 4.11 smarty upgrade. Yes, now, I have less timing rattle and can't get boost up to what I saw before with 4.10, 4.09 etc. The rear panel and bumper is not soot covered. Barely blows a small belch of carbon. But I have lower egt's and what seems like the same power. However go for a run on some long hills and see if the power is the same as the earlier smarty catcher softwares.............. My gauges say boost and egt's are down so less fuel is being injected and timing is changed. Thanks to all you guys crying about smoke and timing rattle I've lost what I liked most about smarty.........smoke and fuel
Old 02-09-2008, 03:41 AM

Originally Posted by N.Johnson
Could somebody explain where the smoke went too (not marco or bob) on the latest 4.11 smarty upgrade. Yes, now, I have less timing rattle and can't get boost up to what I saw before with 4.10, 4.09 etc. The rear panel and bumper is not soot covered. Barely blows a small belch of carbon. But I have lower egt's and what seems like the same power. However go for a run on some long hills and see if the power is the same as the earlier smarty catcher softwares.............. My gauges say boost and egt's are down so less fuel is being injected and timing is changed. Thanks to all you guys crying about smoke and timing rattle I've lost what I liked most about smarty.........smoke and fuel
I have to admit I am one of the people that wanted a tune to come out that DIDN'T smoke on the lower levels. It really sucks when you have a $180k boat that whenever you tow (on level 1!) is totally covered in soot.

That and my toy-hauler is also stained up pretty bad now. I have no idea how to get the soot off of it. It doesn't wipe off and it is fiberglass sided even..

However, I wish the lower levels (1-3 or maybe 5) were lower smoke and levels 6-9 are high powered.

Oh well, you can't have everything. I guess I can always run my truck on the beta or new race tune and then reflash the smarty on weekends that we head to the dunes or decide to go off-shore.
Old 02-09-2008, 06:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With the 411 stock injector/aftermarket turbo program I hardly get any smoke on level 3. And I like that.

MikeyB
Old 02-09-2008, 09:20 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Jetpilot
I think some are thinking that the Smarty is being bashed. At least for me I personally feel it is the best tuner out there, so my comments were not bashing. But when timing is advanced and you see a drop in egt's the difference just didn't "go away". The engine has a longer period to absorb the combustion heat which is what happens. This is not necessarily bad just something everyone should be aware of.......
The amount of time available for the piston to absorb heat doesn't really matter all that much, imo. Certainly it can only increase piston temps, but the real increase in piston temps comes from the radical increase in peak pressure.

This increase in pressure is quite different than the increase in time. The amount of time increases just a tiny fraction, while the peak pressure can increase by a much larger amount. The increased pressure transfers heat to the piston more effectively, similar to how dipping your hand in 200º water would burn much worse than simply holding your hand very close to the surface.

Moreover, the amount of time the piston is exposed to high temps is truly tiny. Assuming a 17:1 compression ratio, the piston only has to travel 1/17th of the way down the bore from TDC before it's doubled the effective volume in the chamber-- dropping temps as it makes more room for expansion.

[As an aside, this is why higher compression ratios generally REDUCE piston operating temps and increase efficiency. It's the increase in expansion that has a cooling effect, increasing what's known as "Carnot Efficiency" (ignore fancy terms]

When a gasoline engine "pings" and melts pistons, it's the exponential increase in PRESSURE, not the TIME that explains the melted piston, imo.

Also imo, it's why Nitrous engines are such a threat to melt pistons with big hits. The oxidizing effect of the nitrous radically increases the rate of combustion, increasing pressure radically as it increases temps. So it's a double whammy, so to speak: we have a hotter combustion event, AND we've increased it's ability to transfer heat to the piston by increasing pressure as well.

As I once mentioned in a 3rd gen thread mentioning this same issue: there are plenty of cases where pistons have been melted with EGTs that were "safe" because piston temps and EGTs do not correlate as directly as we'd like. There are plenty of cases of older 12Vs being melted with the combination aggressive timing, high load, and "safe" EGTs.

As another aside, this is also why water injection really helps engine survivability. It's not that it really helps combustion much-- it's that it slows it down. This raises the EGT limit because the reduced pressure at peak cylinder temp can't transfer heat to the piston as efficiently, reducing piston crown temps. This is in addition to the cooling effect of vaporizing the water.

That's why the pullers can survive run after run with killer EGTs when they're sucking down gallons of water.

Again, I'm no expert on this stuff, so this is all just my opinionated theorization.

Justin
Old 02-09-2008, 04:12 PM

I guess the only way to know how its affecting internal components is to pull a head after running a programmer for 10 to 20k miles and take a look.Other than race teams or r&d don't know many guys doing that.