3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Piston temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by HOHN
Why not just disconnect the grid heater relays if you don't want them on?

it will set an engine code because the ecm doesnt see a voltage drop from the heater. i have mine disconnected now but have to keep the truck plugged in to keep it warm enough for the wait to start light not to come on, this keeps the ecm from activating the heater.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
the thread is titled Piston Temps. What would prompt Bob or Marco to look into this thread. Do you honestly think they have the time to search every post in every thread of the many forums that they frequent? If you post Smarty=high temps, then it is much more likely that they will see it and respond. I know Bob, he doesnt avoid questions, comments, or even outright rants.

Myself and others asked this same question before and received no answer and it was posted in the manner your are talking about. Still dont have a direct answer, at least to my way of thinking. I'm glad the engineers replied and told us about their qualifications and thanks to all the "beta testers" out there they can say their product is safe. I have a question for the smarty users out there, has your fuel consumption gone down over stock or other types of power adders out there? Lower fuel consumption along with lower egts really says it all, lower egt's with the same or more fuel consumption would lead me to believe all that heat has to be going somewhere.
Please dont get me wrong, I'm not bashing or intending it to sound that way, I just want to know how things work. If it turns out that the Smarty is truly the holy grail of lower egts and more power and safer engine operating parameter, then Yes I will be buying one as well.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:11 PM

I should clarify something, I dont like being a guinea pig for factory or aftermarket products, I personally know people that have lost engines running, Bullydog, and Edge products, and problems with hypertech, superchips programmers, I dont personally know anyone that has a Smarty so I cant say one way or the other about that product.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:10 PM

it really doesent matter if the truck is an 05 or up because of the mods installed at the factory ,the cause being the added heat of the catalitic converter.those engines will run hotter,hense the added mods.i really dont see a problem with that group.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

if you dont like risking your components because of someone's products, put your truck back to stock and leave it alone. there is always the chance that something freakish will happen and damage your rig.
i have had smarty on level 9 for 20k miles. when towing 10k lbs, i go to level 3 or 5.
no problems here. EVER.
I am one of smarty's beta testers, and one of quadzilla's. i have never even had so much as a cel.
Old 02-07-2008, 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by Minwy
I should clarify something, I dont like being a guinea pig for factory or aftermarket products, I personally know people that have lost engines running, Bullydog, and Edge products, and problems with hypertech, superchips programmers, I dont personally know anyone that has a Smarty so I cant say one way or the other about that product.
If you personally know people who have lost engines to running Edge products (which I see in your sig is what you are running) how did you justify putting that on your truck?

If you search (and I guarantee you will be searching for a while) you won't find a single motor that has been toasted simply because of the Smarty. People can melt a motor down with just about any box/programmer. It has to do with being responsible with your right foot and watching whats going on with your gauges.

I have an oil temperature gauge. I have run all different releases of the Smarty software from Mild to wild to beta and now the new s/w that is lower egt. I notice NO INCREASE IS ENGINE OIL TEMP over previous releases.

The pistons are oil jet cooled. If the oil cooling the pistons is not increasing in temperature then my assumptions are that the pistons are not absorbing any additional heat. So it stands to reason then that the programming is more efficient and that its not just being timed earlier to have the pistons suck up the heat.

I also haven't noticed increased water temps or my fan running more often then not. So the cylinder head is not absorbing any more heat as well.

I have been running a Smarty since the first batch came across the pond in May or June of 2006. I tow my toy-hauler (13k) all over the place on level 7 without issues. Smarty rocks
Old 02-07-2008, 11:00 PM
tcr

Originally Posted by Minwy
Minwy, I'm using a Smarty in just about every way it can be used on my truck. I have added alot of both timing and pressure, both together and separately to my Smarty's #9(timing/duration settings). I run the factory and the beta tunes. I can tell you my mileage hasn't suffered and power is awesome. I've also tried many other power adders, banks, BD, SPdiesel, Edge, Quadzilla to name a few. I CAN tell you, you can trust Mads and Bob W. These guys are here for their customers more than any other suppliers/venders/manufacturers that I've seen(w/excpt of Quad) in my short few years of monitoring and commenting on this forum. Do a search and you will find so many happy Smarty owners, maybe a couple unhappy owners, but I bet Bob or Marco tried to help them at least. Quad is another outstanding product builder who is here for his customers, but that's another topic. Good luck w/ your mods, you are on the right track and HERE you will find the answers your asking.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:02 AM

Originally Posted by White97GTVert
If you personally know people who have lost engines to running Edge products (which I see in your sig is what you are running) how did you justify putting that on your truck?

If you search (and I guarantee you will be searching for a while) you won't find a single motor that has been toasted simply because of the Smarty. People can melt a motor down with just about any box/programmer. It has to do with being responsible with your right foot and watching whats going on with your gauges.

I have an oil temperature gauge. I have run all different releases of the Smarty software from Mild to wild to beta and now the new s/w that is lower egt. I notice NO INCREASE IS ENGINE OIL TEMP over previous releases.

The pistons are oil jet cooled. If the oil cooling the pistons is not increasing in temperature then my assumptions are that the pistons are not absorbing any additional heat. So it stands to reason then that the programming is more efficient and that its not just being timed earlier to have the pistons suck up the heat.

I also haven't noticed increased water temps or my fan running more often then not. So the cylinder head is not absorbing any more heat as well.

I have been running a Smarty since the first batch came across the pond in May or June of 2006. I tow my toy-hauler (13k) all over the place on level 7 without issues. Smarty rocks
Someone that actually answered the question, thank you.
Old 02-08-2008, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by White97GTVert
In fact I want to say my truck is slower to warm up with the Smarty... which if the pistons got more heat, they would transfer more heat and warm up quicker....

I cant really speak on the fuel economy portion... The first tank I had the Jr on was the best tank I have had to date on my truck, but the most recent two are bad samples, with hours and hours of idling/warm up/mixed towing, etc....

My last road trip got me 15.5, doing the same trip in 10 days... we will see... thou weather has a huge roll as well...

I can say that less fuel is being used under normal driving by looking at the boost gauge. I used to use 10 as a accel limit (for economy), I can now accel at the same rate using 5-7 psi... that equals less fuel in my book...
Old 02-08-2008, 09:51 AM

I can say that less fuel is being used under normal driving by looking at the boost gauge. I used to use 10 as a accel limit (for economy), I can now accel at the same rate using 5-7 psi... that equals less fuel in my book...
I have to agree here as well. With new newest software released my cruising boost is down a couple of psi as well. Interesting.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:52 AM
KKB

Minwy, I have been running beta 4.4 for a while now and it has been great. The power is unbelieveable. The fuel mileage is awesome, I got 23 mpg on a trip I took which is by far the best my truck has ever gotten and yes that is hand calculated which I have done with every fill since new on my 05 which now has 55,000 miles on it. The only problem I have with the Smarty is that since it is winter here I have to run the stock setting because the Smarty just has too much power, what a problem to have. Also Bob W. is a great person when he sent me 4.4 I am a moron and couldn't figure out how to download it to the Smarty so I sent it to him and he did the download for me and even sent me another 100 grand bar. So basically the Smarty is awesome and so are Bob and Marco. Now I am just waiting for the 230 TNT tune.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:08 AM

I think some are thinking that the Smarty is being bashed. At least for me I personally feel it is the best tuner out there, so my comments were not bashing. But when timing is advanced and you see a drop in egt's the difference just didn't "go away". The engine has a longer period to absorb the combustion heat which is what happens. This is not necessarily bad just something everyone should be aware of.......
Old 02-08-2008, 12:27 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree more heat energy must be absorbed if egt's go down, but heat energy can also be transfered into driving force on the piston as well as heat. So maybe the metal crown of the piston is not getting any hotter in temp, it is just pushing down harder on the rod, crank, = more HP.
Old 02-08-2008, 12:32 PM

Later timing = More boost.
Earlier timing = Less boost.

The thermal energy works in the combustion chamber rather than in the turbo.
This translates into higher average pressure on the piston, thus more work is done with less fuel consumption.

Makes sense?
Old 02-08-2008, 01:11 PM

Originally Posted by Marco
Later timing = More boost.
Earlier timing = Less boost.

The thermal energy works in the combustion chamber rather than in the turbo.
This translates into higher average pressure on the piston, thus more work is done with less fuel consumption.

Makes sense?
^^^^^^^^^I love being taught by the master.

Quick Reply: Piston temps?