3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Piston temps?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Piston temps?

I was just curious if the reason that the low egt's everybody is talking about with their smarty and smarty jr (including myself) is raising the temp of the pistons to an unsafe level? I know that having lower egt's is the goal and is also a great selling point, but im curious to know and maybe understand a little better what it is doing to rest of the engine, mainly pistons. I run smarty jr on 100hp tune all the time and absolutely love it, i have no ill will agianst the product. I'm just looking for more knowledge. Any input would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-04-2008, 05:02 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I wouldn't worry too much about it. The pistons are cooled by oil jets underneath.

MikeyB
Old 02-04-2008, 05:33 PM

Personally I would be carefull, this question has been asked multiple times and the guys at Madz have avoided the topic all together, but have been more than happy to address other types of questions about the smarty. I'm all for a setup that lowers egt's but until they address this question I won't be buying one.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:02 PM

I dont know how egt's could be down while cylinder temps are up. Goes against physics. Not by any means am I speaking for them but they could just have it all put together with less fuel but more timing or duration for the same hp. U cant raise one temp and not the other. Other than less fuel, a turbo or increased air flow is the only way to reduce temps. I am not an expert by any means but thats my theory.
Old 02-04-2008, 06:12 PM

I'm sure they have there stuff together, i'm just curious. i know that one of them will chime in they have nothing to hide. I have posted numerous reports about how great the smarty is, I'm just looking to grow in the area of diesel knowledge is all
Old 02-04-2008, 06:26 PM

i believe advanced injection timing can lower egts, compared with higher cylinder temps, this thought has crossed my mind, but no one seems to have problems, plus timing rattle is ussually evident with excessive timing, like some earlier smarty programs, i do believe, so maybe they just have it dialed in, im still buying one...
Old 02-04-2008, 06:28 PM

I would be more worried about your tranny
Old 02-04-2008, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Minwy
Personally I would be carefull, this question has been asked multiple times and the guys at Madz have avoided the topic all together, but have been more than happy to address other types of questions about the smarty. I'm all for a setup that lowers egt's but until they address this question I won't be buying one.
So doesn't the Edge Juice with Attitude add timing??

I'm more concerned about peak cylinder pressure than temperatures. Advance timing increases the peak pressure (more power) but there's a limit, especially when really high boost pressure is added to the equation.

MikeyB
Old 02-04-2008, 08:06 PM

I asked this same question a few weeks ago and nver got a response from mad/smarty either. the heat has to be going somewhere.Sure would be a bummer to see guys with jr's having piston problems a year down the road.I know this forum is very pro smarty so don't get all angry at me,i'm not saying anything negative.Just would like to know the answer from the guys who designed them.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:18 PM

SMARTY has been around for two years now and haven't heard of any piston related issues that can be tied to the programmer on a stock engine. Bad injectors is the typical piston killer.

MikeyB
Old 02-04-2008, 09:23 PM

the smarty works the same way as the tst doesnt it? i believe they just increase timing and duration but they dont increase rail pressure correct?

i cant see how your pistons could be at a melting temp but your egt's stay lower? of course i guess if they retain heat for long enough w/o cooling the heat would just build and i guess the overall temp of the aluminum could get hotter then the exhaust gas.

or i could be completely wrong
Old 02-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Advancing timing does increase piston temps and pressures but reduces EGT.

The way I understand it is that injecting earlier starts combustion earlier. Since everything is going on sooner more heat is able to be transferred into the cylinder/pistons/head simply because it has more time to do so. Since the cylinder/pistons/head receive more heat and put it into the cooling system there will be less heat exhausted and lower EGT. This also gives the expanding gases more time to do work which is why you receive more power and better fuel economy.

Now the big question is, does the advance in engine timing provided actually increase cylinder temps to a level high enough to damage the pistons?

You could always run the aftermarket injectors program and reduce your timing somewhat. I run it anyway for smoke control. For what I run the power isn't as great as the stock injector program and the fuel economy isn't as great, but it certainly is better than when the truck was stock.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:49 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by mike moore
I asked this same question a few weeks ago and nver got a response from mad/smarty either. the heat has to be going somewhere.Sure would be a bummer to see guys with jr's having piston problems a year down the road.I know this forum is very pro smarty so don't get all angry at me,i'm not saying anything negative.Just would like to know the answer from the guys who designed them.
Yes and no on "the heat has to be going somewhere".

From an energy standpoint, yes-- all the potential energy in that fuel has to be accounted for. It either shows up as higher EGT, more work (power), or is dissipated in to the pistons and head and more waste heat.

But just because you see heat leave one place (lower EGT) doesn't mean that it's necessarily just going to one other place. So you COULD have lower EGT and lower piston temps, for example, a leaner mixture (more air) will cause both. Higher compression ratios will cause both to cool.

Advanced timing generally will raise piston temps and lower EGT. But it's all relative to the "ideal" and which side of it you're on in terms of timing.

jh
Old 02-06-2008, 01:48 AM

So no answer from smarty? I would rather have hotter egts that I can watch personally. I would kinda like an answer before I buy a Smarty? Or do you have a perfect setup? I that would be extremly hard to do on a stock truck since you are only getting so much air? Then again when my truck I had the bully dog with crazy larry and never seen over 1300 degrees.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:56 AM

EGTs and exhaust pressure are also good for turbo spooling. Too much advanced timing could actually create more turbo lag.

Good reference here: http://www.oliverdiesel.com/tech/timing.htm

-Chris

Quick Reply: Piston temps?