3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pioneer AVIC-N2 Install, Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2006, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by thejeepdude
I tapped into the VSS at the tranny instead for my AVIC-N1. It was a short easy run from the firewall, the wire is concealed well, and it was easy to access once I figured out which wire to tap. It's been working perfectly for 30k miles now... if I remember correctly, it's a green striped twisted pair of wires that connect on the driver's side of the tranny, one with a stripe... used the FSM to determine exactly which one, not sure now but it was a lot easier than tapping at the ECM.
VSS? Vehicle Speed Sensor? What do u need that for?
Old 03-14-2006, 11:38 AM

Originally Posted by PG4x4
VSS? Vehicle Speed Sensor? What do u need that for?
So the AVIC can track where you are and how fast you're going when GPS signal is lost (forest, tunnel, etc). The nice thing is, it's calibrated by GPS over time, and once calibrated is accurate to within .1 MPH, and the ~1sec dalay inherant with GPS speed detection is bypassed... makes it nice when driving through notorious speedtrap areas!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:18 PM

I tapped into the VSS at the tranny instead for my AVIC-N1. It was a short easy run from the firewall, the wire is concealed well, and it was easy to access once I figured out which wire to tap. It's been working perfectly for 30k miles now... if I remember correctly, it's a green striped twisted pair of wires that connect on the driver's side of the tranny, one with a stripe... used the FSM to determine exactly which one, not sure now but it was a lot easier than tapping at the ECM.

Is the wire that needs to be tapped into in a large bundle or is it pretty much by it's lonesome? This may be a stupid question... What's a FSM?

Thanks again!
Old 03-14-2006, 02:55 PM

Originally Posted by roadie00
Is the wire that needs to be tapped into in a large bundle or is it pretty much by it's lonesome? This may be a stupid question... What's a FSM?

Thanks again!
Yes, it's a green striped twisted pair of wires... meaning there are 2 wires twisted around each other, encased in a loom. It's a 2-wire plug on the tranny.. ok now you're going to make me look it up... Dark Green with Brown stripe

.... ok here's the original thread:

http://www.tdr1.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=vss

There's a pic of the connector...

Does that help?

Oh yeah and FSM = Factory Service Manual
Old 03-15-2006, 08:47 AM

Yes, it's a green striped twisted pair of wires... meaning there are 2 wires twisted around each other, encased in a loom. It's a 2-wire plug on the tranny.. ok now you're going to make me look it up... Dark Green with Brown stripe

.... ok here's the original thread:

http://www.tdr1.com/forums/showthrea...&highlight=vss

There's a pic of the connector...

Does that help?

Oh yeah and FSM = Factory Service Manual
Thanks a bunch!
Old 03-15-2006, 02:52 PM

I jsut upgraded the softwear on my N1 to N2 and now I can't drive and watch dvd. How do u bypass the the n2? Asoon as it gets about 25kmh the picture cuts out.
Old 03-15-2006, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by PG4x4
I jsut upgraded the softwear on my N1 to N2 and now I can't drive and watch dvd. How do u bypass the the n2? Asoon as it gets about 25kmh the picture cuts out.

Sent ya a PM...