3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pioneer AVIC-N2 Install, Questions??

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2006, 06:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pioneer AVIC-N2 Install, Questions??

I picked up the pioneer avicn2 today, going to be installing this week.

I have the OEM infinity system in my truck now, the only thing I am replacing for now is the head unit. I've read through a lot of posts online, some say bypass the amp, others say hook up the wiring harness and go...

I need to know what others have done.

Like I said previously, I'll be keeping the stock speakers, stock amp, I'm only replacing the headunit.

Also if anyone has any infor on hooking up the vehicle dynamics portion of the install please let me know as well. Thanks!!!!
Old 03-12-2006, 08:13 AM

This is off the subject but wondered what fuel mileage you get as I have the same truck. Do you like your exhaust sound? fit?
Old 03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
Muted User

Not sure about the new dodges but some of the factory amps of other brands are turned on with the power antenna lead, and can be used with aftermarket head units. I would try this first. If that doesn't work you may have to run new wires to each speaker to bypass the amp.
Old 03-12-2006, 08:53 AM

I average about 16 around town, close to 20 on the hwy. I just have a replacement muffler right now. It sounds good, not too loud until you put the pedal down. I had it straight piped for a while... That was driving my wife nuts (she thought it sounded too redneck) I liked it.. One thing nice about the 03's - no cat to contend with...

Now if someone could help me with my stereo ?'s ...
Old 03-12-2006, 10:40 AM

I have the Infinity system with an AVH-P7500, just ran right through the amp, with a Metra wire harness available at any car audio shop, make sure to connect the blue wire on the new harness to the amp turn on output off the new head unit. You do not need an antenna adaptor, just pull the passenger kick panel off and you can attach to the standard Motorola antenna ends. It sounds great, the only thing I did different was run a wire right off the headunit to the factory center channel in the middle of the dash, it's easy and gives better soundstage during movies! What to you want to know about the Vehicle dynamics?
Old 03-12-2006, 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by bbhzx12
I have the Infinity system with an AVH-P7500, just ran right through the amp, with a Metra wire harness available at any car audio shop, make sure to connect the blue wire on the new harness to the amp turn on output off the new head unit. You do not need an antenna adaptor, just pull the passenger kick panel off and you can attach to the standard Motorola antenna ends. It sounds great, the only thing I did different was run a wire right off the headunit to the factory center channel in the middle of the dash, it's easy and gives better soundstage during movies! What to you want to know about the Vehicle dynamics?

Where do the wires get hooked up? I've read the speed sensor goes to an orange/white wire... where can I find it? Also, where should the reverse hook up go and then the emergency brake hook up... Any help is much appreciated!
Old 03-12-2006, 06:21 PM

I know on my 04 it's Dark Green With aYellow stripe On diesel models, the vss wire is at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, 50 pin plug, pin 11.
I would think it would be the same on your 03. The Org/Wh wire is on the gas engine. The E-brake wire will be at the switch on the E-brake pedal assembly, I just run mine to ground so the DVD's will work all the time however the AVIC-N2 has a gyro that needs to be bypassed in order to do so. I believe the reverse wire was in the plug to the left of the brake pedal really low near the floor but can't remember the color... I'll try to remember to look for you tomorrow.
Old 03-13-2006, 12:47 AM

could you post a pic when you get that thing put in? thanks
Old 03-13-2006, 08:42 AM

I know on my 04 it's Dark Green With aYellow stripe On diesel models, the vss wire is at the ECM on the lower driver side of the engine, 50 pin plug, pin 11.
I would think it would be the same on your 03. The Org/Wh wire is on the gas engine. The E-brake wire will be at the switch on the E-brake pedal assembly, I just run mine to ground so the DVD's will work all the time however the AVIC-N2 has a gyro that needs to be bypassed in order to do so. I believe the reverse wire was in the plug to the left of the brake pedal really low near the floor but can't remember the color... I'll try to remember to look for you tomorrow.

Thanks! I will give those wires a try! I already know the bypass for the gryo . I looked that up before I bought the unit..

If you can post the color wire for the reverse hookup that would be great! Thanks again for all your help!
Old 03-13-2006, 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by WUnderwood
could you post a pic when you get that thing put in? thanks

Can do. I hope to have it all hooked up and running today. Taking half a day off work to get it done... Gonna take my time and do it right.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:42 PM

I never hooked up the speed sensor or reverse wire. What do they do? I turned my avic N1 into a N2 with just simple cd upgrade that I paid $21 shipped off of ebay lol.
Old 03-13-2006, 03:46 PM

With that wire harness did u still have the tweeters in the dash? Also were abouts is that center channel wire in front? I might pull my deck install apart and re-do it. I just by-pass my factory amp last time. I pulled the amp out and couldn't get the plug undone. So after 2hrs of messin around and cut hands I was on the chip, and I ended up cutting the wires to the plug lol.
Old 03-14-2006, 08:03 AM

Well, I got it installed last night, mostly... Still need to hook up the VSS and do some wire managemet... How the heck did you get to that green/yellow wire? It's way down in the engine compartment... I could barely reach it, and when I could there was no way for me to get a tool on it...

I will get some pics of it today.. The truck is a mess and I need to do a little "housecleaning" before I go taking pictures...

So far I like the unit, not impressed with the Sirius interface, but I can live with it... I usually only listen to one channel anyway... (Raw Dog)
Old 03-14-2006, 10:44 AM

Lol, I got my day planned out on sirus, 7-11am channel 108(Maxim radio, covino & rich), 11-1 misc channels, 1-5 channel 101(Howard 101, Bubba the Love Sponge). The slowest part of the day is 11-1 usally nothing good on.
Old 03-14-2006, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by roadie00
Well, I got it installed last night, mostly... Still need to hook up the VSS and do some wire managemet... How the heck did you get to that green/yellow wire? It's way down in the engine compartment... I could barely reach it, and when I could there was no way for me to get a tool on it...

I will get some pics of it today.. The truck is a mess and I need to do a little "housecleaning" before I go taking pictures...

So far I like the unit, not impressed with the Sirius interface, but I can live with it... I usually only listen to one channel anyway... (Raw Dog)
I tapped into the VSS at the tranny instead for my AVIC-N1. It was a short easy run from the firewall, the wire is concealed well, and it was easy to access once I figured out which wire to tap. It's been working perfectly for 30k miles now... if I remember correctly, it's a green striped twisted pair of wires that connect on the driver's side of the tranny, one with a stripe... used the FSM to determine exactly which one, not sure now but it was a lot easier than tapping at the ECM.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-N2 Install, Questions??