3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

A-Pillar Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2004, 07:08 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Mopar,
It's a little brighter than the IP gauges. It's not distracting. BTW, after installing the gauge a few weeks later I found out the brightness can be adjusted. The bulb holder in the gauge can be moved in or out to set the brightness level. If I ever have to remove the gauge I will slide the bulb holder away from the face of the gauge to tone down the brightness to match the rest of the IP.

MikeyB
Old 05-05-2004, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I was wondering if standard (not white face) gauges under the AC controls might be cool to. seems like if you try to match the white faces but don't quite make it, the eye informs you of that. But if the gauges were over on the right side under the air controls, and they were std black face ISSPROs, Diprocols, Westachs, etc., that the eye would be more forgiving, certainly at night. during the day you would certainly have black face gauges...
Old 05-05-2004, 01:57 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally posted by MikeyB
Mopar,
It's a little brighter than the IP gauges. It's not distracting. BTW, after installing the gauge a few weeks later I found out the brightness can be adjusted. The bulb holder in the gauge can be moved in or out to set the brightness level. If I ever have to remove the gauge I will slide the bulb holder away from the face of the gauge to tone down the brightness to match the rest of the IP.

MikeyB
MikeyB, I just ordered the full replacement pillar and same guage as you did (From geno's). I have the Edge EZ on order. Got it from E-Bay for $379 new. I figured I would need the guages. Is there a reason you did not go with the full replacement pillar?

Did you hook up the guage light wire to a dimmed source?

How much brighter is it. I plan to learn from you experiences.
Thanks for the info and pics you posted, Mikeyd
Old 05-05-2004, 08:11 PM

Mike,
At the time of the install Geno's didn't offer the SRT-10 single gauge pod. I hooked the light source to the dimmer wire behind the light switch.
It is brighter than the IP. At first I was concerned but after driving at night it doesn't really bother me. Personally, I think it's cool looking. Kind of like a big Indiglo watch.

MikeyB
Old 05-06-2004, 02:11 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Thanks for the info. The install looks real clean. Mike
Old 05-06-2004, 08:35 AM

very nice install indeed, mikeyb. how is the dimmer wire behind the light switch identified? did you just tap into it with scotch lok or other wire tap? what ground location did you use?
Old 05-06-2004, 11:31 AM

Hey Doug,
I tapped the dimmer wire (orange/white tracer) with a crimp connector (butt splice). I think for '04 they changed the color code for the dimmer wire.

MikeyB
Old 05-07-2004, 07:28 PM

I'd go for 1 AutoMeter pyrometer.
Old 05-07-2004, 10:40 PM

Will a 2 gauge piller mount fit on the piller without loosing the grab handle?
Old 05-08-2004, 12:22 AM

I thought I would chime in here and maybe save someone some money and headache.

Shortly after purchasing my 04 (in January) I ordered three di-Pricol gauges and the three gauge A-pillar pod (Propod) from Geno's. It was sold as an 03-04 product. I followed the instructions - cut the handle off my stock pillar and installed the new pod. The pod did not fit properly - the windshield side of the pod was exposed, that is, if you were standing outside looking in, you could see the wires. It also did not look good from the inside. I called Geno's, they didn't "understand", so I called Propod directly. After talking to a rep for a while, he mentioned that "some guys are just using black electical tape on the windshield to hide the problem." I immediately drove to the dealership and looked at 03's and 04's and talked to the parts guy and I learned that the A-pillars on the 2 trucks are different. The 03 not only has a slightly different contour but it also has a rubber molding designed into it which accepts/hides the edge of the Propod cover - giving it a nice, factory finish. The 04 does not have this feature.

I sent Geno's a bill for my new factory A-pillar and a refund for the Propod. They credited the full amount - great customer service from Geno's. Unfortuately, I can't say the same for Propod as they never would accept responsibility, just recommened "tape" as a solution - Not for my truck

I did a lot of research and could not find any acceptable after market gauge holders for the 04, so I ended up making a box, painting in factory dash color and mounting it on the floor, on the center of hump, just under the ashtray and cup holder. I don't really like to look down to see my gauges but this was almost free (other than paint) and it looks excellent/factory.

One more thing, if you care about the way your rig looks - get the Dipricol gauges. These gauges are beautiful, especially at night with the different colors of lights in the gauges.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:14 PM

hey good comments GreenZ. Indeed the Diprocols are the ones that look the most like the factory instrument panel. I didn't realize that the A pillar solution was so hoaky -- I never even considered it because there's no way I'm gonna hack my grab handle off -- thats a registered DOT safety device.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:20 PM

If you get the factory sr10 replacement pillar you can have the best of both worlds. The only thing is you only get one gague. Thats when you need to decide whether to get the combo gague or just a single EGT.
Old 05-08-2004, 12:28 PM

yea, roger that. The most cost effective solution is to use the SRT-10 pilar and the Westach dual EGT/boost gauge. The only problem I have with that is that the green glow doesn't look factory at night -- and I think the presence of the factory pillar and a white face guage there would tell they eye, "this is factory, look at me during the night and compare with you instrument panel".

But check out Mikeyb's install. its very clean and his eyes are not complaining about 'non-factory' night vision :-). Indeed, during the day the westach white faces look factory.

The other alternative is to put in a Diprocol EGT gauge in the SRT-10 pillar, and then you're left with what to do with the boost gauge.

Or skip the white face thing entirely and put in an X-monitor
Old 05-08-2004, 01:56 PM

Question?

Will the SRT-10 pillar work on the 04? I was told the 3 gauge pillar fit the 04 but it does not. If so, how is it designed different than the 3 gauge pod?
Old 05-08-2004, 05:58 PM

I just got the "new" 3 guage pod from Geno's for my '03 - they only sell one now, and its the factory color. I also odered a 3 guage dash pod, with the intent of checking them both out and returning the one I didnt like.
So first I pulled the factoy pillar out and tried installing the new pillar. It fit well along the outer edge, but the inside was horrible. I could see that even if I pulled the factory rubber seal off and put it on the new one, you'd still be able to see the inside of it. Its like its almost too wide at the base.
I did however like the dash mount better anyway. The A-Pillar just felt too "in-my-face".

But I'm second guessing even using the guages I bought. That new Juice/Attitude is only a month or so away.................

Quick Reply: A-Pillar Gauges