3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

A-Pillar Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2004, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A-Pillar Gauges

Let me start by saying that I plan on keeping this truck mostly stock. I may add a Proguard drop in filter and replace the muffler but that is probably it.

I like my grab handle and use it often. I dont care for the steering wheel gauges. I found on Genos a single A-pillar gauge mount that incorporates the Grab handle. I think it is an SRT piece. It looks like just what I want.

If I go this route do you think I should get just a single EGT gauge or get one of those combo EGT/Boost. The EGT is meaningful to me, but what will boost tell me.

Is the combo gauges not as good as a single gauge? I'm leaning towards the Di-Pricol.

Thanks for any suggestions.

John
Old 05-02-2004, 01:31 PM

Another option is to go with the BD X-Monitor. It is digital but will give you all the gauges that you want. It also doesn't require the replacement of the A-pilar so you don't loose your handle.
Old 05-02-2004, 02:58 PM

I'm doing the same thing, except with Westach's combo gauge.
Old 05-03-2004, 05:25 AM

The Westach is the gauge that I'm considering also. They are the only one I've seen over at genos that are a combo. I was just wondering about the quality of the gauge and the probe. Also how well do they match the factory gauges.

If a boost pressure is just a nice to know thing, I could do without it and just get a single EGT. Not sure yet what usefull info it will give me.
Old 05-03-2004, 06:57 AM

I also noticed that they offer 1/4" and 1/8" probes. Why is there a choice and which one would be preferred.
Old 05-03-2004, 07:12 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have the Westach combo gauge. And I love it! Westach has been around many years making light aircraft gauges. I went with the 1/8" thermocouple since I already had the tap in that size.
Check out my photo gallery for pics of the Westach combo gauge installed in a single gauge pod.

MikeyB
Old 05-03-2004, 10:06 AM

MikeyB....That looks like a great install. One question though. Where did you get your mount from. Genos sells one but I think it is the entire A Pillar including the Grab handle. Yours appears to attach directly to the existing handle.

Also how difficult was the install. The electrical hook ups and drilling scare me a little bit.

Do the back lights match the factory gagues well. I think this is the route I'm going to take, unless someone can tell me why I really dont need a boost. In that case I will just pick up a single EGT gague.

Thanks
John
Old 05-03-2004, 10:36 AM

Drilling scares me too.

I got the 1/8 NPT so if I screw up, I can go bigger.

Boost will tell you how your turbo is performing, whether there are any leaks in the intercooler boots, tubes, intake manifold, and a general health of the intake system. For $40 or so, get it as it will help you monitor another facet of your engine. It's good to watch as you can know when you're cruising into a crosswind, headwind, tailwind, etc. You can floor it, watch it peg, and waste fuel, or keep your foot out of it and watch it settle around 5 or so cruising......
Old 05-03-2004, 05:25 PM

JohnnyH,
Yes, the pod mounts to the existing pillar. The single gauge pillar pod came from Geno's. It's also the matching factory color. Geno's sales the pod for $29.50. The only thing I didn't like about the pod was the mounting system. Black plastic push tabs. I didn't go this route and instead used chrome plated screws.
The gauge hookup was pretty easy. Geno's supplies a boost bolt so no drilling on the intake is required. Just need 12v power and the dimmer pickup for the gauge lighting. The lighting doesn't match the factory but it does come with color lamp boots (red and green).
The hardest part of the install was the thermocouple, spent the extra time being careful during drilling and tapping.

MikeyB
Old 05-03-2004, 06:22 PM

I had Westachs on my 02; I think they're great, mainly because they've got the dual face thing down pretty well. diprocols look to be the best match to factory night viewing, but no dual guage and no electronic fuel pressure gauge. The Westachs are good for both of those things.

But I've never seen how the white face Westachs look at night. anyone have a pic?

oh, get the 1/8" NTP thermocouple: the guage will be faster (reacts quicker to changes in temperature).
Old 05-03-2004, 06:40 PM

Single gauge

We have a single gauge pod with the color molded in that fits under the grab handle and I would say go with a single Di-Pricol pyrometer white face, black bezel.
Old 05-04-2004, 07:55 AM

Doug,
I will take a pic tonight of the lighted Westach gauge and post it here. BTW, I think it's cool looking at night, it has a eerie greenish glow.

MikeyB
Old 05-04-2004, 02:00 PM

MikeyB - Appreciate you posting that pic - I'm looking at the Westach dual gauge as well when I finally get my diesel.

Jim
Old 05-04-2004, 07:50 PM

I just uploaded a photo on my photo gallery of the Westach gauge at night. Sorry for the crappy pic, it was the best I could get...

MikeyB
Old 05-04-2004, 10:38 PM

MikeyB - Looks fairly bright - do you find it distracting?

Jim

Quick Reply: A-Pillar Gauges