3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Picked up an 05 2500 going for reliable performance mods

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Picked up an 05 2500 going for reliable performance mods

I just bought me an 05 2500 QC SB 4x4 AUTO 36,000. Got a screaming deal on it or wouldn't have went AUTO. Anyway, I want to get performance mods for it slowly, but don't want to lose reliability. Definitley going to go for diff cover, tranny pan, 5" exhaust, but where am I at for a tuner/or box that won't HURT the motor. The tranny will eventually >70,000 get an ATS because I have heard nothing but great things from people on their tranny. I am not looking for the most powerful one around. Mainly want a little umph to prove that a diesel will beat my moms TAHOE, and improve weak points. What is the lift pump issue? Is it only with 1998-2002? I want to address the things that are questionable first. What are they? I am not sold n intake or arc flows. I twin turboed a 1974 International 392 gasser blowing through a carb and learned quite a bit...the biggest restriction comes in the heads and cooling off the charge air.
Old 08-19-2007, 02:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 1974d2004x4
I just bought me an 05 2500 QC SB 4x4 AUTO 36,000. Got a screaming deal on it or wouldn't have went AUTO. Anyway, I want to get performance mods for it slowly, but don't want to lose reliability. Definitley going to go for diff cover, tranny pan, 5" exhaust, but where am I at for a tuner/or box that won't HURT the motor. The tranny will eventually >70,000 get an ATS because I have heard nothing but great things from people on their tranny. I am not looking for the most powerful one around. Mainly want a little umph to prove that a diesel will beat my moms TAHOE, and improve weak points. What is the lift pump issue? Is it only with 1998-2002? I want to address the things that are questionable first. What are they? I am not sold n intake or arc flows. I twin turboed a 1974 International 392 gasser blowing through a carb and learned quite a bit...the biggest restriction comes in the heads and cooling off the charge air.

Tranny pan is a good idea and the 5 inch is good for some power.. For intake just drill a couple 1 inch holes in the bottom of your airbox.. I have yet to do it but I heard it helps airflow. As far as tuners im guessing your still under warranty so if you HAVE to have a tuner I would only suggest a quad xllia box and keep it on a lower setting. I hear of some guys that are running tst or smartys and I want one too but I need to work over my tranny first.. If i were you i would do a converter and valvebody 1st.. As far as ATS trannys they are nice but they are expensive too.. Im looking at going with a Goerend tranny. They have a great rep on this site. Also.. get a fuel pressure gauge.. the lift pumps on our trucks arent as known for dropping out but they are known to only last about 100K at most so if you cant see pressure then you wont know yours is dieing and it could kill your cp3.. if you wanna go big then get a FASS kit or a Glacier.. all the brand names I have listed can be searched and Im sure you will find tons more info..
Old 08-19-2007, 02:44 PM

Low fuel pressure hurts a CP3? I thought they fixed that, you'll lose power but not the CP3.
Lotta good stuff lately about hts transmissions too.
I'm going to use Goerand for his parts and knowledge, you won't find anything bad about him, nothing but good IMHO. http://www.goerend.com/
Old 08-19-2007, 03:41 PM

why do you need 5 " exhaust you already have 4 all the way you dont need 5 until you hit like 700hp I was told save your money from the pipe s and get some other goodies

For starters I would get the quadzilla setup you can get 100 hp with the monitor and mounts for about 700 bucks nad I too am going to try drilling holes in the air box b4 buying an cai

good luck lots of people have have been there done that on here to help you out
Old 08-19-2007, 07:03 PM

I agree you don't need 5" exhaust unless your pushing some HP.Why dont you remove your "cat" I did with mine noticed EGT's droped alot
Old 08-19-2007, 07:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by GaveUpOnTV
Low fuel pressure hurts a CP3? I thought they fixed that, you'll lose power but not the CP3.
Lotta good stuff lately about hts transmissions too.
I'm going to use Goerand for his parts and knowledge, you won't find anything bad about him, nothing but good IMHO. http://www.goerend.com/
Im pretty sure if you lose your liftpump and fuel pressure falls your gonna burn up that cp3.. its known to be the primary failure of the vp44.. If you think about it the cp3 is designed to move and be cooled by the liquid its moving.. if that cp3 is moving more air than liquid your gonna burn it up..
Old 08-19-2007, 10:52 PM

I know about the earlier injector pumps, Dodge didn't put a fuel pressure gauge in, and had doubtful quality for their lift pumps, a wise TurboDiesel owner, one of the first 'mods' was to put in a fuel pressure gauge. It literally cost a thousand or two for another injector pump + labor. Now the injector is the 'intelligent' part of the fuel injection system (that and the ECU), the injector pump is much simpler + from what I've read, doesn't die from low (or no) pressure of fuel. From what I remember the injector pump isn't dependant to live on the lift pump (about time!)Dodge did improve this part of the fuel injection system, after a lot of people paid 'the price'.
This is my understanding-it's possible I'm wrong, let me know!
Old 08-20-2007, 06:14 AM

I put a Quad Std box in, and run it on the 60hp setting. Have not had any issues, plus my mileage is up. The stock tranny doesn't like the 100hp, so I don't go there - at least until I upgrade the tranny. I also added a muffler delete (see no reason to go 5" unless your doing major mods), an Amsoil drop in filter, and a 4" PVC elbow on the bottom of the airbox. Don't forget to add gauges to your list.