3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Performance Upgrade?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2005, 11:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performance Upgrade?

I have an 05 3500 4WD, I belive that most reprogrammers will reflash the ECU, the dealer can see this and possibly cause problems getting warranty work done. Is there anything that is undectable, I am not looking for a big performance boost as I dont want to modify the exhaust, AI, etc. I am just lookin g for a little extra, espicially in towing.

Thanks
Old 04-06-2005, 12:41 PM

Native, my understanding is that any of the downloaded programs leave a pretty big footprint on the ECM, even if they are removed or erased before you go to the dealer. The ECM probably tracks data transfers to/from it and that history is probably pretty easy to retrieve. The boxes (Edge, etc.) leave no footprints but leave "shadows". For example, a knowledgeable tech could go back into the ECM and check common rail PSI or some other parameter and see that that statistic exceeded the ECM's stock limits.

I am not aware of any way to erase or reset the ECM's memory. Maybe some more knowledgeable members do.
Old 04-06-2005, 02:39 PM

Unless you really know what you're doing, I would not attempt to erase the ECM. You're only asking for trouble. Your best bet is to go with a box like the edge ez, quadzilla xzillaraider or other boxes of that type. (do your home work and ask questions here, lots of good knowledge available) I feel the quad is much better box and it's also cheaper. BTW, I tested the two units above side by side. The xzillaraider was much better. Plus you get to choose from the standard or race unit with the price of the latter not being much more. As for the Edge/juice set up, once you see the price you may become turned off by it as I was. The zilla has yet to pass any codes unlike some other plug in type units people are using. I would stay away from any box that puts its program on your ECM. Unless you're ready to assume the unexpected cost of not having a warrenty if it is found by the dealer the box caused the problem.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:05 PM

Naw, I would say the programmers on these are much safer than on the other trucks. Cummins didn't think anyone would make a programmer for them so they didn't put too many checks into the unit. All the dodge dealers have for a "footprint" is the same information the DRB leaves on the system. The programmers use the same communication that the chrysler scantools use.

Sometimes there are DTC's, but they seem to go away after you program stock back in. At least most times.

And really, any box can void your warranty. Not just programmers.
Old 04-06-2005, 06:33 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
DC can see everything on the ECM and they are the ones that put the program into the ECM, not Cummins.
Of course they worked with Cummins to get their own program but its not Cummins that does it exclusively on the Dodge like they once did.

every box or programmer can and will leave a 'fingerprint'.

Scotty
Old 04-06-2005, 07:11 PM

Thats very true indeed. Every box can be caught, I'm just saying that the programmers use the same method the dodge tool uses. I got away with some work with a programmer, the tech didn't know what he was doing and it was pretty easy to get the work done. I even left a hp tune in there, they didn't know the difference.
Old 04-06-2005, 07:53 PM

Unfortunatly for me, we only have one dealer close to me and they are not to friendly, I work at a differt brand dealership so I am trying to become friends with him. If he offshore fish's I could be in luck If DC is like ours all 2005 ECU's are pretty tough to hide stuff from.
Old 04-06-2005, 08:26 PM

an outboard box leaves no electronic footprint unless there a failure is captured by the system while the box is installed. In this case, some operating parameters outside of normal limits could be stored.

the problem with the downloaders is that even when you restore the stock program, there is a SKIM code stored and the VIN timestamp is changed. While it is not unusual to flash the ECM (and leave a VIN timestamp), a latent SKIM code (one that persists when the engine light is off) is clear evidence that a flash has occured without the ability to clear that code. I'm not certain there is anything in the after market today that will clear a SKIM code -- I think that requires DRB III. does anyone know differently? of course this only affects trucks with the gray key security system.

so if you went to the dealer, they might or might not be troubled by the presence of the SKIM code. they might just clear it and be done.