3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Performace Box TSTCR How can this happen

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 12:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Performace Box TSTCR How can this happen

I put on a TSTCR on my 06 and broke the shaft or blew out the bearings the dealer didn't say, but they did fix it. How did this happen it has a boost limiter which i had set on 40 psi and pyrometer didn't get any hotter than 1300. I didn't see any difference untill i the 4+6 setting and it just took off and thats when the turbo went. Should I send it back for good, have them check it out, get a quad box, or wait for edge to come out with their box. What has been some of your experiences with tst boxs on 3rd gens.

plus it gets 13 mpg

and 3 dealers couldn't set the computer for 35 inch tires but they could get it to 285 70 17 which is still off
Old 02-05-2006, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well the pinion factor is in revs per mile so I don't under stand what you mean by setting it for 285/70-17. they don't input tire size but the number in revs per mile. 35's are proably around 600 somewhere but it can be looked up. just go to your tire manufacturer and look at the revs per mile for the tire. I mean I have 37's wich is like 570 revs per mile or something. just tell them what revs per mile to set it too and they can do it. There are kind of stupid about it though. They told me they could not. I asked they why. The guy said the tires would be out of range. I asked what the range was and he did not know. they then flashed the truck for the rev's per mile I gave them and it worked perfectly.

as for the tst killing the turbo I don't own one but tst is one of the boxes that goes well beyond what a stock truck can handle. I though you were not supposed to take it beyone 5-5? something like that for safety. I could be wrong though as I never purchased one. If I were you I would call tst though as they designed the product. I thought I read than the TST can smoke a stock turbo but I don't know if that was only with the twins program on it or not.

If you don't ever want to upgrade the truck the the tst is kind of overkill that i why I did not get it.
Old 02-05-2006, 02:53 PM
Banned

Same thing happened o a friend of mine. He had a TST on a stock 03 and wile towing exploded the turbo, sent the blades through the motor and got stuck in the valves....ect. Also came down with a rod knock. Dealer read codes and denied/ cancled warrenty work w/ only 13K miles...... You GOT LUCKY.....

You gotta pay to play....just read the disclaimer in your instructions. I believe it was his oiling system that failed though.
Old 02-05-2006, 03:48 PM

i found the revs per mile and told them this and they said they still can't do the tire switch because of the 2006 models have a different computer system than 2005 and old trucks.

and on the tstcr, what i can't figure out is how the boost/turbo situation is different than my old pickup 02 with mach2 edms and edge ez would hit 43-45psi all the time when i was missing around with it and never had a single problem and more power for 120000 miles
Old 02-05-2006, 04:55 PM

Different turbos.

I do not have an aftermarket lift pump so I refrain from turning over 4/4. I have played with it at 5/5 but would never do it towing. I have 13,000 miles on mine and don't want to abuse the truck just wanted more MPG and towing power. Haven't towed sense tranny work but it's great empty.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:13 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
From what I read, the dealer does not put the pinion factor in directly anymore on the 06's, but instead chooses tire size from a menu.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:32 PM

it is not the boost level that kills the turbo directly(in your case) the fuel can come on so fast and hard especially on the higher levels that the turbine wheel will accelerate faster than the compressor will allow and twists the shaft apart. It is normal for a TST to be able to do that if you turn it up too much.
Old 02-05-2006, 05:45 PM

With the '06 trucks you can set the rear end ratio to compensate for the change in tire size. It takes some math but it can be done. There is no provision to change the revs per mile on teh '06 trucks.

As far as the turbo failure is concerned, it's possible you had a weak turbo to begin with, and your TST found the breaking point.

I ran my stocker hard, but never had a problem. I must have barked it over 50 times, and it's still in good shape.
Old 02-05-2006, 06:47 PM

well current tstcr owners what is the highest settings do you set the power level, torque level, and boost. What are your favorite
Old 02-05-2006, 08:25 PM

A friend of mine doesnt run his any more than 5/5 because he blew his turbo the first hour he had it on by flooring it and when he saw his egt he let off the pedal too fast and destroyed the turbo. You are lucky the dealer fixed it under warranty.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:26 PM

The stock tranny won't last long over level 3/3 and some hy turbos won't take over 30lbs for long. With a tranny and t/c up grade and a stout turbo 9/9 for racing and 5/5 for every day. The stock turbo has a small single waste gate and even when set to open at 30psi the tst will will over drive it at the upper settings.
I like to run the tst at 5/5 and flip the switch on the va3.1 when needed.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:52 PM

I put on a TSTCR on my 06 and broke the shaft or blew out the bearings the dealer didn't say, but they did fix it. How did this happen it has a boost limiter which i had set on 40 psi and pyrometer didn't get any hotter than 1300. I didn't see any difference untill i the 4+6 setting and it just took off and thats when the turbo went. Should I send it back for good, have them check it out, get a quad box, or wait for edge to come out with their box. What has been some of your experiences with tst boxs on 3rd gens.
In your signature line you show you have 3.55 axle ratios, is this new for 06?????? AAM says they are not available for the axles in the dodges yet, but a 3.42 is in the works next year..

Just wondering.

Jason
Old 02-05-2006, 09:55 PM

thats what thought it said in the drivers door jam
Old 02-06-2006, 08:55 AM

Beandrew, Your turbo won't take 35psi sustained. You should have set the TST to 30 to 33psi max. I run the TST up to 7x7 but I have a built tranny and a heat treated turbo I never turn up the TST until the truck has been running for at least 1/2 hour and it fully warmed up. 130k+miles on the TST and stock turbo towing Heavvvvyyyy. DR3500 is correct its not the all the boost but how quickly the boost builds. Limiting it to 33 max will allow the turbo to get up and go. Considering you mileage and bad luck I'd stay below 30psi for a while. ks
Old 02-06-2006, 09:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by beandrew
i found the revs per mile and told them this and they said they still can't do the tire switch because of the 2006 models have a different computer system than 2005 and old trucks.

and on the tstcr, what i can't figure out is how the boost/turbo situation is different than my old pickup 02 with mach2 edms and edge ez would hit 43-45psi all the time when i was missing around with it and never had a single problem and more power for 120000 miles
on the tire size you are best to research this yourself then. If I had not know exactly how it needed to be done my dealer would have just sent me packing as they were clueless.

I had to hold the tech's hand to get my pinion factor done. does the superchips flasher or triple dog take care of this? It though I remeber reading something about tire size on one of them

Quick Reply: Performace Box TSTCR How can this happen