3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

People suck....

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2008, 07:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by white250005
I just had a similar thing like that happen to me twice last week. Same kind of deal. I post my buddies smarty and my other buddies superchip for a ford on craigslist. I got emails on both of them the very next day saying that they want the programmers and for me to take the add off. So I did and the guy's both sent me emails asking for my adress and that the money orders were on there way. The next day I got an email from both again saying the same thing-that there assistant accidentally sent a $2500 dollar money for the smarty and a $1000 dollar money order for the superchip and they both asked me if I could cash them and take my part out and mail them the rest plus the product back. This was last week so Im waiting to see if I get the money orders! Seems like a big scam to me!

DO NOT CASH THOSE!! Completely fake! You send them back some of there money and when the money orders bounce you are left with no $$. Huge scam too bad they moved to Craigslist
Old 02-08-2008, 07:55 PM

Yea man I was excited that I thought I had both of them sold in one day and my friends were excited to because one wanted to sell the smarty for his tranny and one wanted to sell his superchip for money to buy a different chip. Oh well what can you do?
Old 02-08-2008, 07:59 PM

The Smarty probably would have sold quick on here. Not sure about the Ford chip though.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hello,

white250005 you can try and cash the MO's but they are fake. If they cash you can give the extra money to the people who got ripped. Kinda like Robbinhood.lol

Damon
Old 02-08-2008, 08:14 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by white250005
I just had a similar thing like that happen to me twice last week. Same kind of deal. I post my buddies smarty and my other buddies superchip for a ford on craigslist. I got emails on both of them the very next day saying that they want the programmers and for me to take the add off. So I did and the guy's both sent me emails asking for my adress and that the money orders were on there way. The next day I got an email from both again saying the same thing-that there assistant accidentally sent a $2500 dollar money for the smarty and a $1000 dollar money order for the superchip and they both asked me if I could cash them and take my part out and mail them the rest plus the product back. This was last week so Im waiting to see if I get the money orders! Seems like a big scam to me!
That is the kind of stuff the scammers do. You cash their fake money order and they get your cash and goods. I know I wouldnt touch that deal with a mile long pole. At the very least, call the issuer of the money order and see if it is legit. Even still I would not do it. Paypal or cash only.

How many people do you know of that send too much money? I would tell him that you will send the money orders back and he can have his assistant send the correct ammounts over. I really hope you make out good, I hate rip off deals I work WAY too hard to get what little money I have stolen from me!
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
bought my boat off of ebay. sold my last two trucks on ebay. i have well over 200 transactions on ebay-between buying and selling. i have never been burned. the most important rule on ebay is to check out somebody's feedback. i only deal with peoplel that have at least a 98% positive feedback rating. another good rule, is to only deal with a buyer or seller that has good number of "transactions" under their belt. somebody with a 99% positive feedback with 100 or so transactions under their belt is less likely to screw you than somebody with 5 transactions and a 93% feedback rating.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:26 PM

Just use Paypal, it saves a lot of trouble and worry even if if does cost you a few bucks to use it. Also be careful of the Escrow service stuff. Lot of those scams going around too. NEVER use an escrow online other than Escrow.com.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i bought my boat off of ebay. sold my last two trucks on ebay. i have well over 200 transactions on ebay-between buying and selling. i have never been burned. the most important rule on ebay is to check out somebody's feedback. i only deal with people that have at least a 98% positive feedback rating. another good rule, is to only deal with a buyer or seller that has good number of "transactions" under their belt. somebody with a 99% positive feedback with 100 or so transactions under their belt is less likely to screw you than somebody with 5 transactions and a 93% feedback rating.
also- a usps money order, paypal or a certified/cashiers checks is the only way to go- they can all be verified- if somebody is sending me a certified check- i ask for all the info off it-sometimes, i'll even request a photo copy of it faxed to me., before it goes in the mail to me. that way i can verify the check through his bank before it even arrives to me. same with a usps money order.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by 82NDSNPR
trust no one and buy from companys i got burned too.....
I agree with that. The one excpetion being the classifieds here and I've never been burned by a DTR member. My rule there is the seller must have been a member for a while with at least 100 or more posts. It just gives me piece of mind I am buying from someone else who spends time here reading, chatting, or whatever and they're least likely to be someone phishing. A longstanding member here wouldn't want their name tarnished. I wouldn't buy or sell with a new/really low post count member.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:48 PM

I only take USPS money orders so that I can check them. No cash so that they cant say I just took it and claimed to loose it if it never shows up.

I saw one of those scams in the classified on here a few moths back. Can't remember what the guys was selling but some guy posted that he would send a check for like twice what he was asking and would like him to just send the rest of the cash back. A few other members caught it and pointed it out but they get on here to, he even had a screen name and every thing. can't trust any one these days.
Old 02-08-2008, 08:57 PM

Yeah but that right there raises red flags just at a glance and don't pass the smell test. A little common sense goes a long ways.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:09 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by DiEseLjunKy
Yeah but that right there raises red flags just at a glance and don't pass the smell test. A little common sense goes a long ways.
I like to talk to guys on the phone when I arrange a transaction. Like you said about the test, you can tell a lot about someone by their conversation. It is in no way a guarantee, but if someone is reluctant to talk to you, they are usually hiding something.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:23 PM

True, a phone call would be an absolute must with a big pile of money or expensive part on the line. None of my transactions here were for more than $90 one guy I bought something from sent me his number I said don't worry about it I trust you to be stand up. When I bored a Minnesota member's hubcaps out for his hub kit he called he said to make sure I was gonna do them right etc but I know he just wanted piece of mind that I wasn't just gonna keep em for myself after he sent them my way I totally understand the "piece of mind" a phone call can give.
Old 02-09-2008, 01:48 AM

Sorry fellas...I just can't understand people who steal. I think they ought to join our friends in the middle east who wanna just keep getting killed by our 500 lb bombs.
Old 02-09-2008, 02:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a transaction like that through ebay. Ebay paid me my money back (minus like $25), but it took quite a few weeks.

Quick Reply: People suck....