3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

People running a huge single on the street?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 12:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
People running a huge single on the street?

For those complaining about lag cant you program something that gives your truck a little shot of NOS to get the turbo spooled faster? I know those guys with huge singles in there supras, dsm's do that.
Old 09-21-2006, 12:31 PM

are you talking about on the street or at the track? I dont think anyone is spraying on the street just to get the turbo lit going to get a Coke or some groceries. it would get pretty expensive in the long run
Old 09-21-2006, 03:02 PM

i was talking for the strip and and the street when a powerjoke or duramax pulls up lookin to be owned.
Old 09-21-2006, 03:07 PM

My brake pedal sufices till the light turns green! If I get to build 10 psi boost...I have no lag! LOL
Old 09-21-2006, 03:11 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
My brake pedal sufices till the light turns green! If I get to build 10 psi boost...I have no lag! LOL
The only problem with that is you sit in one spot
Old 09-21-2006, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by nfsommer
For those complaining about lag cant you program something that gives your truck a little shot of NOS to get the turbo spooled faster? I know those guys with huge singles in there supras, dsm's do that.
People gota quit watching the fast and the furious...
Old 09-22-2006, 08:53 AM

hahahahhahaah....sit in one spot.

After watching Fast and the Furious....made me want to trade my truck in for a ricer...NOT!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Hey, nitrous to spool a big turbo is not just a ricer trick-it really works. I used to use it on a turbo buick I had back in the 90's.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:17 AM

After watching the Fast and the Furious I noticed that hollywood does not care if ANYTHING they say in movies is the least bit accurate. It still bugs me when people say "does it have nos" Its nitrous you morons! There is more than one brand. BTW it's N.O.S. I hate ricers.....
Old 09-22-2006, 09:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
After watching the Fast and the Furious I noticed that hollywood does not care if ANYTHING they say in movies is the least bit accurate. It still bugs me when people say "does it have nos" Its nitrous you morons! There is more than one brand. BTW it's N.O.S. I hate ricers.....

Bingo! Stuff like the floorpan falling out of the car from too much nitrous, or something like that...
Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 AM
Banned

I don't mind the ricers, it is those stupid fart cans that I hate listening to. Why would you want your car to sound that stupid?

Anyway, I was thinking about this last night when my turbo had trouble spinning up while on tow, on a hill, in the wrong gear. Another moment. Anyway, If someone could plumb a nozzle in the turbo housing behind the compressor wheel aimed into/through the wheel towards the motor and connect it to a very small air tank with an electric compressor that would maintain a certain PSI in the tank. It wouldn't have to be much. When you want to light your turbo, just push a momentary button to open a valve and force a small stream of air through the compressor wheel to start it spinning. Boom, instant boost. Regulate the air can at 40 psi, no over boost issues. Nothing to buy after the initial install. Free air so to speak! Does anyone think it would work? I may have just gave away the next big money maker...and then again....I could be dreamin' too! I guess you'd have to been forcing fuel too, but it sure would make it spool fast. It would get rid of a smoke trail in an instant, no? And again, I'm electrical, not mechanical, so who knows if this would work!?!?!?!?!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by v8440
Bingo! Stuff like the floorpan falling out of the car from too much nitrous, or something like that...
But then it was back on in the next seen.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:33 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by carcrz
But then it was back on in the next seen.
Just like the antenna on top of the Bandit's black Tran Am after Frog drove it under the bleachers at that football game! "Look daddy, a football game. Can we stay and watch?" "You stay and watch...I'm goin' back!"

It still cracks me up your name is Jory too!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:43 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 4x4dually
Anyway, If someone could plumb a nozzle in the turbo housing behind the compressor wheel aimed into/through the wheel towards the motor and connect it to a very small air tank with an electric compressor that would maintain a certain PSI in the tank. It wouldn't have to be much. When you want to light your turbo, just push a momentary button to open a valve and force a small stream of air through the compressor wheel to start it spinning. Boom, instant boost. Regulate the air can at 40 psi, no over boost issues. Nothing to buy after the initial install. Free air so to speak! Does anyone think it would work? I may have just gave away the next big money maker...and then again....I could be dreamin' too! I guess you'd have to been forcing fuel too, but it sure would make it spool fast. It would get rid of a smoke trail in an instant, no? And again, I'm electrical, not mechanical, so who knows if this would work!?!?!?!?!
This is a standard design on 2-cycle pure turbocharged industrial engines. Known as "jet assist", it is used to spin up the turbocharger(s) for starting and, after starting, to maintain boost until the engine has sufficient load for the turbocharger(s) to become self-sustaining. The jet assist can be provided with starting air when it is available, or by using compressed natural gas (in the case of an integral engine/compressor) to drive a "pony turbo" to provide the air assist when no starting air is present.

Rusty
Old 09-22-2006, 09:47 AM

Originally Posted by 4x4dually
I don't mind the ricers, it is those stupid fart cans that I hate listening to. Why would you want your car to sound that stupid?

Anyway, I was thinking about this last night when my turbo had trouble spinning up while on tow, on a hill, in the wrong gear. Another moment. Anyway, If someone could plumb a nozzle in the turbo housing behind the compressor wheel aimed into/through the wheel towards the motor and connect it to a very small air tank with an electric compressor that would maintain a certain PSI in the tank. It wouldn't have to be much. When you want to light your turbo, just push a momentary button to open a valve and force a small stream of air through the compressor wheel to start it spinning. Boom, instant boost. Regulate the air can at 40 psi, no over boost issues. Nothing to buy after the initial install. Free air so to speak! Does anyone think it would work? I may have just gave away the next big money maker...and then again....I could be dreamin' too! I guess you'd have to been forcing fuel too, but it sure would make it spool fast. It would get rid of a smoke trail in an instant, no? And again, I'm electrical, not mechanical, so who knows if this would work!?!?!?!?!
Sorry, won't work. Too much psi, not enough CFM! You need both on an engine like ours! An air compressor small enough to fit on our trucks and not driven by the engine would be less than 25cfm...probably WAAAYYY less! An engine driven V-MAC compressor is 175cfm...that would help, but still not a real useful solution to lag!

Easiest solution actually is either Nitrous or more fuel!
Chris

Quick Reply: People running a huge single on the street?