3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pay to Play chapter 1

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2008, 07:32 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pay to Play chapter 1

This is my story.... Any help or advice would be great! You could even tell me there's a simple cheap fix to make me feel better.

Link removed by Admin

Thanks,
Woody
Old 04-19-2008, 08:01 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

When you take it to the dealer you better put a crisp new 100$ bill in the mechanics hand and hope he is easily corruptible. I am kinda surprised the stock trans held that long with a TST
Old 04-19-2008, 08:08 PM

The funny thing is my bro has the same truck (different color) with the Smarty / TST stack, and an II Silver Bullet. He put a $60.00 shift kit in it not long after he bought it, he's got about 40,000 on the ticker now and it's holding. It's weak but there ya know. I've got the same shift kit but it's sitting on the work bench in the garage !!!
Old 04-19-2008, 11:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 75woody
The funny thing is my bro has the same truck (different color) with the Smarty / TST stack, and an II Silver Bullet. He put a $60.00 shift kit in it not long after he bought it, he's got about 40,000 on the ticker now and it's holding. It's weak but there ya know. I've got the same shift kit but it's sitting on the work bench in the garage !!!
He's on borrowed time also.

Sounds like input shaft went bye-bye. Hope it didn't tear too many other parts up.
Old 04-19-2008, 11:39 PM

yeah my vote is a broken shaft too..time to upgrade!!!
Old 04-20-2008, 01:08 AM

Oh, man. I wasn't really crazy about this tranny from day 1. There's been several times when I've joked about killing it just to have an excuse to upgrade. OOPS !!!!

Are there any reputable shops in Utah that anyone has experience with? Is the pull and install a huge job for a decent DIY'er or does the new unit need to be installed at a shop for warranty purposes?
Old 04-20-2008, 07:11 AM
Banned

the nearest Goerend authorized installation center in Utah is this one : WASATCH DIESEL PERFORMANCE
5975 S STRATLER ST #B
Murray Utah
801-897-1168
(owner)
BRIAN JANSSEN
Old 04-20-2008, 07:47 AM

I went with HTS and couldnt be happier.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:21 AM

What kind of power will any of these guys put up with without any worries? The only competition the truck will ever see is between lights and pulling a trailer full of toys or a 5th wheel up a mountain.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:39 AM

Moonlight diesel in northern Utah builds DTT trans and they build their own trannys too...I say call them OR call Dave at ultimate transmission and have a trans built with Opie parts
Old 04-20-2008, 10:51 AM

If it still has reverse....it is the intermediate shaft gone....If you have nothing then the flex plate or input shaft most likely, output if you are crazy lucky. If it's the input or flexplate then the TC is probably roasted, total rebuild. $5k goodbye minimum. $ a shift kit would just have delayed the inevitable.

I ran TST with stock tranny for a long time 100k miles towing at the max...I couldn't believe it lasted that long....then it went and took out everything including more than 10k out of my wallet when you count hotels rental car..new pump, bell housing, sungear, flexplate, billet input, full rebuild and trancommander, etc.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:55 AM

if they can figure out you had something on it you may have no warranty, then may have no choice to get an aftermarket tranny but depends on how cool the dealer is. some of them will fix anything and others wont fix anything. I can tell you right now you will need way more than a shift kit to hold power. about everyone I talked to said get at least a billet input with the built trans. I have to agree with seelow as well, im an HTS customer and im very pleased with the trans
Old 04-20-2008, 11:14 AM

[quote=abc4yew;2050971]If it still has reverse....it is the intermediate shaft gone....If you have nothing then the flex plate or input shaft most likely, output if you are crazy lucky. If it's the input or flexplate then the TC is probably roasted, total rebuild. $5k goodbye minimum. $ a shift kit would just have delayed the inevitable.

Yeah, no reverse or anything. I fire it up and can put the selector in any postion with no effect. I have park which doesn't mean much. Turning the 4WD *** doesn't do anything either, the 4WD light on the dash just blinks.

Originally Posted by jwb600
if they can figure out you had something on it you may have no warranty, then may have no choice to get an aftermarket tranny but depends on how cool the dealer is. some of them will fix anything and others wont fix anything. I can tell you right now you will need way more than a shift kit to hold power. about everyone I talked to said get at least a billet input with the built trans. I have to agree with seelow as well, im an HTS customer and im very pleased with the trans
I'm not planning on the dealer waranteeing anything but it would be nice just to have wheels until I get the good tranny so I'm not driving my 13 speed, 5 mile to the gallon Semi to work and back ya know. Especially when it's 45 miles one way.
Old 04-20-2008, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by 75woody

I'm not planning on the dealer waranteeing anything but it would be nice just to have wheels until I get the good tranny so I'm not driving my 13 speed, 5 mile to the gallon Semi to work and back ya know. Especially when it's 45 miles one way.
I would definitely find a beater at that mpg!
Old 04-20-2008, 11:59 AM

Moonlight built my tranny and its been great so far

Quick Reply: Pay to Play chapter 1