3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Painted Taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 07:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
howd they come out BDEWY?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM

Came out good and had descent light coming through the black paint. Just sprayed a light even coat to cover the lenses. Don't spray heavy or it will build up and not let light come through. Used the Fuzion paint becasue it sticks real good to plastic. Just have to clear them now. Also did the 3rd brake light the same way. Gives the all black look and still lets light through. Cheap way of doing it besides buying the covers.
Old 06-27-2007, 09:13 PM

im still trying to decide on another coat on mine. i have had them done for a month now and the paint and clear are holding well, especially since i always use high pressure car washes......no cracking or anything yet....
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM
Banned

Recon Line of fire...

Originally Posted by Road Traveler
Do you have any pics of that?
Here you go...

Shot with COOLPIX L1 at 2007-06-27

Old 06-27-2007, 10:53 PM
Banned

Sweet I wish they would come out with the smoked taillights already I cant get anything to look right but my recon smoked 3rd light looks good on truck. Were trying a new technique tommorow on another stock 3rd light so we shall see how that goes.
Old 06-27-2007, 10:54 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CReed
Sweet I wish they would come out with the smoked taillights already I cant get anything to look right but my recon smoked 3rd light looks good on truck. Were trying a new technique tommorow on another stock 3rd light so we shall see how that goes.
Please let me know I'm waiting for you guys to get the bugs worked out so I can do mine!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

Shane you are the painter from what i can tell by doing door handles, mirrors, fender flares, etc. The third light i did monday the black side came out to dark and didnt look right on my grey truck but came out smooth as glass after wetsanding and buffing compound and the grey side just looked reall cheap and trashy not the paint just the way it looked on the truck and not much light came through them either. I am experimenting with a top secret paint i found yesterday going for just the smoked look kinda close to the recon 3rd light i have thats smoked.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:08 PM
Banned

Shane you are the painter from what i can tell by doing door handles, mirrors, fender flares, etc. The third light i did monday the black side came out to dark and didnt look right on my grey truck but came out smooth as glass after wetsanding and buffing compound and the grey side just looked reall cheap and trashy not the paint just the way it looked on the truck and not much light came through them either. I am experimenting with a top secret paint i found yesterday going for just the smoked look kinda close to the recon 3rd light i have thats smoked.
I've got my 3rd light sitting in the recon box I'll give it a try and see what comes of it!!!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:32 PM
Banned

Thats what I wanted to here shane! I think im leaning more towards the smoked look now instead of the black or the color match.
Old 06-27-2007, 11:34 PM
Banned

Thats what I wanted to here shane! I think im leaning more towards the smoked look now instead of the black or the color match.
Yes Sir Smoked all the way!!! Just have to play with colors to get that look!!
Old 06-27-2007, 11:44 PM
Banned

Ya and i think the red bleeding through is going to be the most difficult part, I wish i could find a place that could do some type of cast of my lens and make one that smoke style?
Old 06-28-2007, 12:03 AM
Banned

Ya and i think the red bleeding through is going to be the most difficult part, I wish i could find a place that could do some type of cast of my lens and make one that smoke style?
Yeah I hear ya there. I can cast it but then making it would be another project!!! I have a clear one on for now because they were out of smoked so he sent me a clear until the smoked come in I'm thinking it would be cake to make it smoked!!! and not worry about the red!!! I will work on the red though!!
Old 06-28-2007, 12:07 AM
Banned

Your the man Shane let me know what you can come up with.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 PM

go back to my post guys....if you like how mine turned out on the last page.....heres the technique
1. scotch brite it
2. spray on duplicolor adhesion "stuff"
3. spray duplicolor smoked paint from autozone......spray a lil too dark for your likeing....the clear will lighten it back up
4. clear it alot... mine had a haze until the clear finished drying but they came out fine
Old 06-28-2007, 08:56 PM
Banned

Thanks Drasko that is the process im using currently and I am currently trying a custom paint my ppg dealer whipped me up he said it will give me that smoked look i want and not let the red through we shall see ive got first coat on and letting it get some drying time in before the next coat.

Quick Reply: Painted Taillights?