3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Painted Taillights?

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 08:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The vht stuff is great (forgot exact name, will get though), apply it lightly to get the exact shade you want, lights still work good to see at nite, no one wants to get hit!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by CReed
Townsend600 I had depos on my 03 truck and sold them to BigredBCS and he was parked right next to Black-O-Mega and boy do the painted ones look better and cost is way less also.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Spray...QQcmdZViewItem
thanks bud!!!

i say you give me the smoked third brake light for .....lets say.......FREE
Old 06-25-2007, 08:26 PM
Banned

Ok so this VHT stuff does it require clear coat? Wetsanding? Buffing Compound? Because the way i have started so far I will have to do all three of these.
Old 06-25-2007, 08:27 PM

Alright guys i did a little researching and took some ideas from part of this thread and a few other and the advice of a few local painters. I took my stock third light that i had laying around due to installing a smoked recon awhile back and scuffed it up a little with a scotch brite pad. then i took just some grease remover/paint prep to the surface and let dry. I then took some bulldog adhesion promoter found at walmart b/c autozone didnt have any and then picked up some regular ultra black aerosal paint from autozone and a can of clear also then went down to the local ppg paint place and got a can matched to my paint code PDM Mineral Grey Metalic and came home and taped up on side and sprayed on the adhesion promoter two coats on coat waited 5 minutes then another coat and let it dry for about ten minutes. Then I sprayed the ultra black on the left side 3 light to mild coats about 1 and a half apart. then I applied two coats of clear and am letting dry currently and will go back out later tonight and do a little wet sanding with some 1500 grit sand paper and do a little wetsanding on it. But so far it is looking good just not sure how the black will look on my grey truck so im doing half black and half truck color just to see which one looks better.

Awsome let us know how it comes out!!
Old 06-25-2007, 08:33 PM
Banned

Scott no offense to you my old lights look good on your way better then when i had them on my 03 truck but I love that blacked out shaved look. I gotta do it big or not at all. And I guess Im gonna have to get an alarm system installed on my truck now or else I might come out of somewhere and find that Scott has taken it. Be sure to put your stock one in the place of the smoked one if you do come get it.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:25 PM

Ok guys, sorry about the lateness but i tend to procrastinate sometimes....i PROMISE tomorrow, i will post the pix up....i just went out to do it, but its too dark and the camera had no go pedal left in the battery....
basically, use the stuff im talking about(ill post pictures of the cans) and you scuff the surface, spray on the adhesion promoter and wait til it gets sticky. T
hen with BOTH TAILLIGHTS side by side(so you coat them evenly and one doesnt look darker than the other..my trucks silver so it would show easily if not even) spray til you think its too dark(trust me) and let dry. the clearcoat will actually lighten it back up.

They will get a light haze over them but as i freaked out...it went away(i think i sprayed the clear on too soon.

Now spray on the clear(lots of layers) for lots of trouble free protection, and dont worry, if you dont like how it looks, lacquer thinner or paint thinner will let you start over.

Tomorrow ill give part numbers and pictures....
Old 06-25-2007, 09:42 PM
Banned

Drasko thanks for the input i look forward to your post with pics and details especially since im not sure how im going to do my taillights next and i dont have any extras like i do third lights so i wanna make sure i dont fubar them up.
Old 06-25-2007, 09:50 PM

I did mine with duplicolor smoke, but they are now red again. Im going to try the vht.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:00 PM
Banned

Duplicolor Smoke? Did it wash off or what? Finally got the ultra black side wetsanded and buffed out a little and it looks really good and clean just not sure if i got it to dark Im going to go to work on the other side in the color of the truck tommorow afternoon when i get off of work.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:18 PM

The best way to do this and still have the transperancy is to use a toner or black candy, mixed with the clear. Shoot 2-5 coats on them and then clear and your will be ready to go. I am not sure about using rattle can paint, but I am willing to bet that it makes them to dark, and not enough light to go through.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:47 PM
Banned

Yes this is what roadtraveler nathan and my painter buddy had to say i should have listened, but im so IMPATIENT and couldnt wait especially since i only found out how to do it last night but thats why i only did a test run and didnt get really carried away with it yet i plan on letting that paint buddy go ahead and do it i guess but the third light looks great but like you said dark.
Old 06-25-2007, 10:53 PM

Yes this is what roadtraveler nathan and my painter buddy had to say i should have listened, but im so IMPATIENT and couldnt wait especially since i only found out how to do it last night but thats why i only did a test run and didnt get really carried away with it yet i plan on letting that paint buddy go ahead and do it i guess but the third light looks great but like you said dark.

Well I can't remember but if our taillights has the DOT stamp just make sure you can still see it!! Sometimes it helps you fight!
Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 PM

im gonan come get your recon tommorow night........ill try not to wake you up when taking it off
Old 06-25-2007, 11:00 PM
Banned

Hmm thats a good point nathan but at this point i just want to do it bad if you cant tell by now so whats a little ticket LOL im sure its not little though.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:01 PM
Banned

Just make sure you leave your stocker in its place for me scott. LOL

Quick Reply: Painted Taillights?