3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??

For awhile I had been tossing the idea around of painting the emblems black on the truck and this last weekend I just decided to do it. I am really happy with how it turned out. My biggest complaint was that it was anywhere between 35-50 degrees out the two days I was pulling off emblems and I do not have a heat gun. That adhesive takes a heck of a lot longer to get off when it is not a really warm day.

For the most part, I took pictures as I went incase other people were thinking about doin this.

List of Parts and Supplies I Used are:

-Krylon Black Satin Spray Paint
-Color Place Clear Coat
-3M Sanding Pad for the first round of sanding
-300,400 grit 3M pad for the second round
-Rubbing Alcohol
-Small flat tipped screwdriver
-Plastic Putty Knife
-Hair Dryer
-Fishing Line
-Oops and Goo B Gone (almost a bottle of each, and the kind that wont strip paint)
-Mr Clean Magic Eraser
-3M doubled sided ahesive tape
-Razor Blade
Attached Thumbnails Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-001.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-002.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-005.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-006.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-0011.jpg  

Old 03-02-2009, 08:23 PM

some more pictures...

I painted the Cummins C all black as well and I want to take it to somebody that has a much steadier hand than I do and have them paint "Turbo Diesel" and "Cummins" silver and see how they would look back on the truck.

I am also goin to paint the chrome accent pieces black from the door panels, but I am not sure if those are gonna go back on either. What do you guys think about those two ideas? Add the C and the accent pieces back on or leave them be?
Attached Thumbnails Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-003.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-0033.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-0111.jpg   Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-truck-decals-008.jpg  
Old 03-02-2009, 09:16 PM

looks good
Old 03-02-2009, 09:35 PM

Looks good, I was trying to do the same thing and could not get the paint to like right. What kind of paint did you use?
Old 03-02-2009, 09:57 PM

I just used a can of Krylon Black Satin...They sell it at walmart and it adheres to plastic nicely. Then the clear coat was just standard clear coat, not a gloss clear coat.

I was tempted to try the matte clear coat but I did not want the emblems to get too dull.
Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 PM

Hey Stover it looks good man I told Mary and she said it looks good too. I like the pic of that handsome grey truck in the background.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I bought a Dodge Ram head emblem (like on the tailgate of 05 and up trucks) and painted it with Krylon Fusion black paint and put it on my tailgate. I also painted a plastic grill black with Krylon Fusion and both turned out great.

Sorry I don't have a pic of it right now. Ive been contemplating painting a Cummins "C" black to also put on my tailgate where I have one now, in chrome...on the lower left corner. It is the only chrome left on my "blacked out" truck.

Anyway...I like the look Stovetop! Sharp looking truck you have. I love the contrast of the silver truck with the black accents.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:54 AM

i like that look especially on silver trucks. btw, what kind of flares are those ?
Old 03-03-2009, 11:56 AM

now paint your wheels and get a black grille
Old 03-03-2009, 12:11 PM
I watch wind blow...

i plan to do this on my red truck, thanks for the pics.
Old 03-03-2009, 12:49 PM
Banned

Looks great! Big improvement...

--Eric
Old 03-03-2009, 01:13 PM

Look real nice, now get some recon cab lights.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zeus1987
btw, What kind of flares are those ?
They are the bushwacker pocket style I believe. I bought them used from a friend for a great price and never thought twice. I just new I liked how they looked.

Originally Posted by paroxysym
paint your wheels and get a black grille
Originally Posted by iflych52
get some recon cab lights
All in good time. I plan on doing the wheels next but I am torn between buying a new set or just powder coating the stockers. All of it will be on hold for awhile though. The bank account is a little dry right now considering my tranny currently on the shipping truck making its way to laramie. But thats for another post.

Thanks for the compliments on it guys.

What do you guys think about painting the accent pieces on the door pannels black and putting them back on?
Old 03-03-2009, 09:09 PM

Thanks, I just couldn't get the look I wanted on the emblems. They kept comin out nasty lookin so I just went badge less. My rig is an 06 looks very similar to yours.Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??-100_1837.jpg
Old 03-03-2009, 09:16 PM

Originally Posted by paroxysym
now paint your wheels and get a black grille
sorry dont see the black craze,you guys that like the blacked out look could save a lot and buy st series trucks and run 4 spares for rims

Quick Reply: Painted the chrome emblems black...What do you guys think??