3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pacbrake Review.

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good notes Darryl, I'll do my own switch.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by fade94
I may be changing it up to hook up to the ECM to keep cruise control with the ebrake on. Not exactly sure yet if it will allow it or not, haven't really looked in to it a lot.
Works like a charm.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by Darryl&Rita
The controller is not something I'd purchase again, as it has air switches, not electric. This means there are 3 air lines going through the firewall. The dump feature also bleeds into the cab, with an annoying whistle. I would have used electric switches and solenoids, but it might be just me.
The controller I have bleeds at the solenoids I have mounted in the tool box. The only air lines coming into the cab are 2, 1\8" lines to the gauge. One side of the gauge shows tank pressure, the other side shows bag pressure.
Name:  Simultaneous20Air20Spring20Activation20Kit20HP1002220copy.jpg
Views: 556
Size:  58.3 KB
Old 07-26-2010, 09:22 AM

The controller I have bleeds at the solenoids I have mounted in the tool box. The only air lines coming into the cab are 2, 1\8" lines to the gauge. One side of the gauge shows tank pressure, the other side shows bag pressure.
Does that mean your bags are plumbed together?
Old 07-26-2010, 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Does that mean your bags are plumbed together?
Yes. The button on the right opens the solenoid to the bags and they both receive air from the tank. They air up "right now".
Old 07-26-2010, 09:43 AM

Yes. The button on the right opens the solenoid to the bags and they both receive air from the tank. They air up "right now".
Interesting. I would think that would work against you for sway control, at the very least it won't provide any. Typically the bags are plumbed independently so that you get sway control.
Old 07-26-2010, 09:51 AM

I think the majority of systems are simultanious like this one. The only ones I have seen them seperate, were on trucks that had campers installed.
I have pulled heave for several years with this type of setup with no sway issues.
The load on a trailer is centered on the hitch so off canter weight doesn't affect the levelness of the truck.
Old 07-26-2010, 10:04 AM

I think the majority of systems are simultanious like this one. The only ones I have seen them seperate, were on trucks that had campers installed.
I have pulled heave for several years with this type of setup with no sway issues.
The load on a trailer is centered on the hitch so off canter weight doesn't affect the levelness of the truck.
I actually think its pretty rare to have them plumbed together, independent is much more common.

Think about it this way, if you go around a corner and the right side of the truck dips and inch the air from that bag is going to flow out of the bag to the opposite bag, to equalize pressure, in a long corner the pressure will be equal. Now you leave the corner, or enter one in the opposite direction (river road?), now the air has to flow back thru the small line, and until it does the bags are trying to keep the truck in the opposite lean...

But if they are plumbed separate and you go around the same corner the outside bag compresses and increases pressure, pushing back on the truck, and the inside bag extends and loses pressure, allowing the inside to drop, thus acting as sway control..

The way you tow it may not ever be an issue, but I wanted to throw it out there. I know the installation instruction for pac's and ride rites have separate as the primary way of installing them.
Old 07-26-2010, 12:17 PM

Good info.
My previous truck had Firestone bags and controller and they were hooked up together when I got it so that's what I did on this one.

If I had it do do over again, I would either go with the seperate controller or put self levelers on it.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:44 PM

I agree AH64ID that the situation is possible but unlikely that much air would transfer in the very short time of a corner, even a long one. Having said that, I would isolate each bag as close as possible to the bag so that this situation and/or line leaks do not flatten the bags. But I am very **** about this stuff because I design this stuff for refineries for a living.
Old 07-28-2010, 11:19 PM

That's what makes the AirLift Wireless setup so cool, nothing to run into the can and not gauge and switches to worry about mounting, check the link in my signature.
Old 07-29-2010, 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by diesel4play
I agree AH64ID that the situation is possible but unlikely that much air would transfer in the very short time of a corner, even a long one. Having said that, I would isolate each bag as close as possible to the bag so that this situation and/or line leaks do not flatten the bags. But I am very **** about this stuff because I design this stuff for refineries for a living.
I think in any corner you will get air transfer, they use 1/8" lines right and volume is very low, won't take long to equalize.

I was worried about leaks before going the bag route, on my 2nd set on my 2nd rig without a leak.
Old 07-29-2010, 04:32 PM

Good to know you haven't had leaks with two systems. Makes me a little more relaxed about it.
Old 08-24-2010, 01:03 PM

If my Ram does not sell soon I will be installing the HE351CW turbo which I have waiting and I want to install a Pacbrake Exhaust Brake but I have the Banks Monster Turbo downpipe, with no elbow of course, what other downpipes will work in this situation? Is there a aftermarket full 4" downpipe out there somewhere that would normally connect to the cast elbow? Not really liking the thought of the in-line Pacbrake plus they say 5" pipe and mine is only 4".

Last edited by Nascarcamper; 08-24-2010 at 02:49 PM. Reason: wrong id number
Old 08-24-2010, 02:31 PM

The Banks exhaust bolts to the turbo, and doesn't use the OEM elbow?

Quick Reply: Pacbrake Review.