3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pacbrake Review.

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Pacbrake Review.

2003 QC SB 4x4 5 speed with 4.10 gears.
Trip up had 305x65-17 Procomp XAT tires.
Trip pulling horse trailer, same tires.
Trip back had 265x70-17 all terrain tires.

Trip up I was pulling a 20' gooseneck car hauler with my 01' 4x4 QC SB on it.
I could pull just as fast as I wanted to and could pass folks at will.
The e-brake worked GREAT!. Slowed the truck down with no problems at all. Didn't have to use the brakes until just before coming to a stop at a stop sign or light.

Pulled a Titan Renegade II 4 horse slant trailer with 3 horses in it and gear from Colorado Springs to NW of Creede, CO. This goes thru Lavida Pass.
WOW. First observation, I need a water-meth injection system. The ONLY reason I had to downshift from 5th gear was to get the EGT's back down. I did not let them get above 1200 before downshifting and they dropped to 900-1000.
Name:  2010-06-19103015.jpg
Views: 682
Size:  51.6 KB
As a side note, the reason I changed tires while there was the 305 tires had a LOT of sidewall flex/sway when pulling the horse trailer even though they are rated as E tires. I could feel the back of the truck swaying from side to side as the sidewall flexed.

Coming down the pass, the Pacbrake actually SLOWED the rig down. I was expecting it assist with the downhill side, not slow me down going down hill. On the extreme down grades > 7%, it maintained the speed I was at when I turned it on. If left on long enough, it would start to slow the rig down as well.

I couldn't be happier with the Pacbrake setup I have, with a couple of exceptions. I need to get a shifter mounted switch and a clutch mounted switch. Other than that, it was cherry.

I am running my system off of a 2 1/2 gallon tank and have the ECM bypass switch so it kicks on as soon as I let off the throttle.
Old 06-28-2010, 06:26 PM

Yeah I agree with you it is a great product. I was going thru brake pads all the time before I got mine. The switch can be had at local truck shops as the pull type ****, I think my brother got his for 15 bucks with the pigtail. The pac will pay for itself by saving brakes and rotors.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:55 AM

I also love mine... Works great and with my AFE Stage II intake sounds great!
Old 06-29-2010, 06:16 AM

Ordered my clutch switch yesterday. I am driving the truck before adding switches and what not so I don't get anything that I'm not going to use. I already have the ECM bypass on the throttle so I think the clutch switch will finish off the system nicely.
Old 06-29-2010, 02:57 PM

How much time and effort to do the install.thx.
Old 06-29-2010, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by alboy
How much time and effort to do the install.thx.
Not nearly as long as you would think.
I changed turbos at the same time so it was a little easier IMO. I removed the pass side wheel and inner fender. This gave me great access to the oil lines, clamps and turbo mounting hardware.

Remove the two bolts that hold the exhaust pipe to the transmission. This will give enough slack to remove the pipe from the elbow off the turbo. Remove the other clamp on the elbow/turbo and remove the elbow. The reverse gets it back together replacing the elbow with the PacBrake. I had no problems fitting the new HE351 and PacBrake back into place as one unit. I just left the clamp loose that attached the brake to the turbo until I had the exhaust pipe back in place on the brake and the transmission.

I mounted the solenoid high on the fire wall on the pass side. My truck had what appeared to be factory holes that lined up perfect with the solenoid mounting bracket. I attached with self tapping screws.
I will be moving the wiring from the pass side battery to an aux battery located elsewhere on my truck along with the compressor wiring.

When I bought my kit, I upgraded to the 2.5 gallon air tank and the 625H compressor. It's a 100% duty cycle compressor.

Let me know if I can give you any more info.
Old 06-30-2010, 11:57 PM

One of the best things I've done to the truck, got it from Lary at the DTR store, cheaper than Pac Brake 15 minutes from home.
Old 07-01-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Once you tow with an EB, you'll never want to go without again!

Why not let the ECM control the brake? The delay is there to save the turbo, not a bad decision in my book. And no extra switches to install.
Old 07-25-2010, 09:28 AM

Pacbrake and Pacair bags

Is there a way to use the airtank for the pacbrake for their airbags as well? I was going to get the Airlift airbag suspense for my 2004 2500, but if I can get both the pacbrake and bags working off the same tank I would save some weight
Old 07-25-2010, 09:33 AM

Yes there is, that's what I did for my AirLift wireless controller, click the link in my signature, it's a slick setup but you could us the Pac Brake compressor and tank for any controller you choose to go with.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:31 PM

Pac Brake is great,but dont count on that little compressor putting any major air into your tires if you need it.I have a much bigger compressor for that job and it can barely handle airing up an almost flat tire,but its still a great product though for braking.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:43 PM

Originally Posted by AH64ID
Why not let the ECM control the brake? The delay is there to save the turbo, not a bad decision in my book. And no extra switches to install.
I may be changing it up to hook up to the ECM to keep cruise control with the ebrake on. Not exactly sure yet if it will allow it or not, haven't really looked in to it a lot.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by Davehc130
Is there a way to use the airtank for the pacbrake for their airbags as well? I was going to get the Airlift airbag suspense for my 2004 2500, but if I can get both the pacbrake and bags working off the same tank I would save some weight
Yes. I bought the air bag controller at the same time I built my system. I will end up with 7 1/2 gallons of tank(s).

Originally Posted by KWKING
Pac Brake is great,but dont count on that little compressor putting any major air into your tires if you need it.I have a much bigger compressor for that job and it can barely handle airing up an almost flat tire,but its still a great product though for braking.
I went with the 625 compressor. 3.4 gph and 100% duty cycle. No problems airing anything up as of yet.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Davehc130

You could also just use the coily hose that comes with thee exhaust brake to fill your air bags.
Old 07-25-2010, 08:41 PM

Just put the PRXB exhaust brake and air bags, with in-cab controller last weekend. Here's a few thoughts:

1. Agree on the comment to loosen the bolts holding the pie to the bell-housing. That elbow is in there tight. A floor jack helps to re-assemble.
2. Use the turbo-to-brake clamp loosely to hold the brake while turning it to line it up with the pipe flange.
3. The air bags bolt in better than anything else I've installed.
4. The "warm-up" is a little irritating in the summer. If the switch is on, the ECM will apply the brake until the engine is up to temp. when idling.
5. The cruise control works with the exhaust brake to maintain the speed set. No difference from stock, except no speed gain.
6. Total time involve was 5 hours on Saturday, installing the compressor, exhaust brake, and wiring. Sunday was about 5 hours, installing the air lines, in-cab controller, and air bags. The controller is not something I'd purchase again, as it has air switches, not electric. This means there are 3 air lines going through the firewall. The dump feature also bleeds into the cab, with an annoying whistle. I would have used electric switches and solenoids, but it might be just me.

Quick Reply: Pacbrake Review.