3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pacbrake PRXB owners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2007, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Cowboy45
Pauly, I guess I just have one major question for now (maybe more later). How is the air tank put in the system, do you run off of the tank or the compressor? Is the tank in-line with everything or just there as aux air? Do they give you a pressure switch to keep the tank at a certain psi? The reason for all these questions is I want to see if I can make this work with my airbags and what else I might need to make it work. I might call pac and see if it's possible to upgrade the compressor. I would like to combine everything, the brake, air bags and a small on-board air system. Any other info you think I need feel free to share. Thanks.
The tank is plumbed like an auxiliary tank, but the system uses a solenoid controlled valve to direct the air. Actually, everything is plumbed into this solenoid valve, kind of like a hub of a wheel, and it directs the air. I don't know for certain, but because the brake comes on pretty much instantly I'm pretty sure the brake is actuated by the air in the tank.

Yes, there is a pressure switch that mounts to the top of the tank. The compressor is rated to 150 p.s.i. max, but I'm guessing the system works somewhere around 100 p.s.i. It would be easy to plumb a gauge in if you wanted one.

You should be able to make the airbags fill from the cab with this setup. You could easily add a tee into the tank air lines and add another tank, and use those autofill systems offered by Ride-Rite and Airlift to control it. Or you could use the quick connect hose to manually fill the valves. There is a wiring diagram included showing you how to wire a separate compressor switch.
Old 02-26-2007, 12:11 PM

By the way, here's where I ended up mounting my switch...

I prefer not to see switches all over my dash so mounting up where you don't see it was perfect for me. The switch for my lights isn't visible from anywhere but the driver's seat either.
Old 02-26-2007, 05:03 PM

You didn't want the shifter switch??
EDIT: I forgot you have an auto!
Old 02-27-2007, 11:57 AM

Here's something cool I noticed about the Pacbrake on an '06 auto. Actually, I'm sure it's the same with all the brakes for the '06 auto. When the brake is on, the transmission acts like tow/haul mode is on, but it doesn't hold the gear longer before shifting. So you get all the features of the convertor locking in 3rd and such, but it short shift like you weren't in tow/haul mode. Am I making any sense?
Old 02-27-2007, 01:29 PM

Not making any sense Pauly. I really like the mounting of your switch. If I would have thought of that I would have mine mounted the same. I really like how my pacbrake works with my turbo timer on my Edge. Keeps the engine running until 180 then kicks off the brake, EGT's cool, engine shuts off. I can not wait to tow this spring to see how it works. I still think $1250 installed at my dealer is the best deal going.

Aaron
Old 02-27-2007, 01:51 PM

Question

iflych52 ~> where's your dealer? (that is a good price).

How many PacBrake owners are using the compressor for other apps? (i.e. air horn, external air, etc.,). I'd like to see/read how this is done, especially where the cable termination adapter might be for external air cable uses.

ptgarcia ~> great pics/thread. that switch location is ideal. I used to work in fontucky
Old 02-27-2007, 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by Dane Bramage
iflych52 ~> where's your dealer? (that is a good price).

How many PacBrake owners are using the compressor for other apps? (i.e. air horn, external air, etc.,). I'd like to see/read how this is done, especially where the cable termination adapter might be for external air cable uses.

ptgarcia ~> great pics/thread. that switch location is ideal. I used to work in fontucky
I am using the compressor for my Canonball Express Air Horns as well. If I end up doing any kind of air bags, I will use it for them as well.
Old 02-28-2007, 06:58 AM

Mine sits on top of the CTD (check out photo in gallery). I've used it to inflate a front flat - have contemplated air horn addition.

When it gets real hot here in South Florida if my A/C quits I plan on have an air chuck in my cab to cool off........and then there are all those inflatible toys......
Old 02-28-2007, 01:36 PM

Cool & thx D.Wiggs & Bonshawman. I'd like to see exactly how the air hose T/Extensions work, but I imagine it will be plain enough when I've got it installed. So I'll be patient. I want to do the train horn too Wiggs - heh

I'm being informed that the PacBrake directions indicate to mount the tank to the frame which requires drilling. Is this so &, also, what is the concern with drilling the frame? (are the holes such that it would compromise structural integrity?)
Old 02-28-2007, 02:24 PM

Cool & thx D.Wiggs & Bonshawman. I'd like to see exactly how the air hose T/Extensions work, but I imagine it will be plain enough when I've got it installed. So I'll be patient. I want to do the train horn too Wiggs - heh

I'm being informed that the PacBrake directions indicate to mount the tank to the frame which requires drilling. Is this so &, also, what is the concern with drilling the frame? (are the holes such that it would compromise structural integrity?)
I drilled and mounted the tank forward of any significant weight brearing cross-members or mounts. I don't forsee any problems in the future. The pics show what I'm talking about.
Old 02-28-2007, 07:36 PM

You will be so glad that you did the horns!!
Old 03-06-2007, 06:56 PM

Thanks ~ I got mine installed last Friday. Instructed the tech to put the tank in that same spot - driver's side bumper. Looks clean & works great. I'm really impressed with the braking power. Warm up time w/brake on idling is also a bonus. Having the switch right there on the shifter is excellent... find myself using it all the time (may as well eh?). The tech said PacBrake doesn't have the little shifter switch LED operational... I have yet to do a search on that here... (will do now).

Yes - I am looking fwd to replacing that stock horn Wiggs... need something more 1-ton worthy ("get outta the way!!!")