3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Pacbrake PRXB owners...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2007, 08:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I just mounted up the actually brake and let me tell you, it's pretty much a pain in the...not gonna say 'cause I've already been warned once! But breaking the V-clamps loose was a b-yotch. They may as well have been welded on there! Then squeezing the brake and exhaust pipe together while rotating the brake and trying to align the V-clamp is tough with one person. I highly suggest having a second set of hands at the ready. Other than that it's a simple operation

So the compressor, air tank, and brake are mounted, the relays are mounted, the wire harness is plugged into the tank and the pos and neg hooked to the battery. Now all I have to do is wire the switch, tap into an ignition switched hot wire, and run the air lines. I figure I have 4 hours in it now, and expect to spend another 2 hours completing the install - 6 hours all together doing it on my own in 4 stop-start periods.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:30 PM

Glad to see your getting 'er done. Look forward to your final results and pictures! Thanks so far.
Old 02-21-2007, 09:35 PM
Banned

i started my install of my jake last night and after tearing up the $50 gasket i got upset and said im done. im taking it to the dealer tomorrow

brett
Old 02-21-2007, 11:16 PM

I plumbed the system yesterday on my lunch break, mounted the switch today, and will try to finish tomorrow but we are expecting rain. It may have to wait until the weekend. All I have to do is tap into the ECM and and ignition-switched hot, plug in the relays and in line fuse then test it out!

I posted these in another thread but they are more appropriate here:

Old 02-24-2007, 05:01 PM

Well, I finished up the install this morning. I had to remove the 50-pin connector from the ECM to get the wires in securely. At first I tried without removing the connector and I thought I had it, but the brake didn't work. Once I unbolted the connector I was able to push the wires in quite a bit farther. Those of you installing one of these brakes in the future I suggest you remove the connector from the start. It will probably end up saving you some time. Now I just need to hook up and try her out! I'm going camping at Huntington Beach this weekend so I'll get a chance to try it then.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:18 PM

Pauly how were you able to get the seals out of the blank holes in the ECM connector without taking it off??
Old 02-24-2007, 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by Smokeman
Pauly how were you able to get the seals out of the blank holes in the ECM connector without taking it off??
I used a fresh blade on an Exacto knife and poked the side of the plug at the very end where it was sticking out, then just popped it out. They came out real easy this way. Has both out in only a couple seconds. At first I tried prying them out with a paperclip but I got nowhere fast that way.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:50 PM

Alrighty boys, I rolled around today with the Pacbrake on and I'm stoked! This thing is friggin' awesome! The sound it makes.....it sounds just like a big rig, only not quite as loud. Then when it disengages you can hear the pressure relief valve open and it goes psst! I love it. And it works well also. I haven't pulled with it yet but when it engages it slows you down pretty darn fast. I have to say I'm glad I dished out the $1,000+ for this unit.
Old 02-25-2007, 08:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Alrighty boys, I rolled around today with the Pacbrake on and I'm stoked! This thing is friggin' awesome! The sound it makes.....it sounds just like a big rig, only not quite as loud. Then when it disengages you can hear the pressure relief valve open and it goes psst! I love it. And it works well also. I haven't pulled with it yet but when it engages it slows you down pretty darn fast. I have to say I'm glad I dished out the $1,000+ for this unit.
That is awesome news man... I am wanting to do this mod after my turbo!!

Shane
Old 02-25-2007, 09:13 PM

I knew you would love it; it really works well. The braking power in 3rd gear is INSANE!
Old 02-25-2007, 09:32 PM

Glad to hear you like it Pauly. So are you glad you did it yourself? Now for some of us to do the same thing and put one on.........oh ya and find that $1000 laying around somewhere! I might PM you with some questions if you don't mind?
Old 02-25-2007, 11:30 PM

Originally Posted by Cowboy45
Glad to hear you like it Pauly. So are you glad you did it yourself? Now for some of us to do the same thing and put one on.........oh ya and find that $1000 laying around somewhere! I might PM you with some questions if you don't mind?
Yes, I am glad I did it myself. It really wasn't that hard to do. I had to do the install in a series of steps over several days due to time constraints, but it was definately worth it.

I'd be happy to answer any questions when you have them. Rather than PM me maybe you could start another thread or continue this one so others can take in the information. But either way works for me!
Old 02-26-2007, 09:34 AM

Okay, where's the best place to get one of these suckers?!
You post lotsa 'how to' pics in your gallery PT?

I know you can get a truck with a oac brake on it, what do the dealer boys say when they see this setup?
Old 02-26-2007, 10:00 AM

Best place I found was right here on DTR. Lary beat the best price I could find by $35. Has it drop shipped straight from Pacbrake and had it in 2 days, even though it was supposed to be on backorder. I highly recommend calling the DTR store before making any purchase.

I'd be happy to take pics of anything you want, and share my thoughts on the best way to complete that task. Just let me know! The only pics I have now are what I have already posted.
Old 02-26-2007, 10:05 AM

Pauly, I guess I just have one major question for now (maybe more later). How is the air tank put in the system, do you run off of the tank or the compressor? Is the tank in-line with everything or just there as aux air? Do they give you a pressure switch to keep the tank at a certain psi? The reason for all these questions is I want to see if I can make this work with my airbags and what else I might need to make it work. I might call pac and see if it's possible to upgrade the compressor. I would like to combine everything, the brake, air bags and a small on-board air system. Any other info you think I need feel free to share. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Pacbrake PRXB owners...