3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

PacBrake owners ---- HELP please.

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2007, 07:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PacBrake owners ---- HELP please.

Just finished installing my PRXB. I took the truck out for a test run and it doesn't work.

Before going for a drive, checked for compressor to come on with the ignition - check. Compressor shuts down after a bit, so pressure switch on tank works - check. 'Snooped' for air leaks - none. Switch works with test light. Black Ecm pin is in #42 slot and white ECM pin in #39.

Everything seems to appear done correctly, but piston on brake will not move when switch is turned on (either driving or stopped).

Is there operation instructioins somewhere? Do I have to get the dealer to enable the ECM for a brake?

Need info. quick please - yankin' a horse trailer on Sunday.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:20 PM

Are you positive the pins are fully seated in the ECM plug? They go in pretty far. And when mine finally went all the way in I felt them snap into place. I had a hard time getting my in at first so I loosened the bolt holding in the ECM plug and used a pair of tiny needle nose pliers to push them in.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:27 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
Are you positive the pins are fully seated in the ECM plug? They go in pretty far. And when mine finally went all the way in I felt them snap into place. I had a hard time getting my in at first so I loosened the bolt holding in the ECM plug and used a pair of tiny needle nose pliers to push them in.
I disconnected the batteries and pulled the plug right off. After getting them in, I gave them a tug and they didn't come out.

BUT, I will go check them again for sure.

With the truck just idling, when turning the switch on, should the piston close the brake??

Here's a thought -- the white wire to the switch - all that does is apply ground to pin #39 in the ECM - correct??
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by Festus
I disconnected the batteries and pulled the plug right off. After getting them in, I gave them a tug and they didn't come out.

With the truck just idling, when turning the switch on, should the piston close the brake??

Here's a thought -- the white wire to the switch - all that does is apply ground to pin #39 in the ECM - correct??
no with the switch on .. the piston won't clse on the brake .. you guys with 2007's how do you hook up the electronics on your .. you don't need the controller right ?? is the truck over 1000 rpm when you are trying to use it .. put it in two haul and go down a hill real fast to bring the idle up and see what happens ..

Gary
Old 05-11-2007, 07:35 PM

Only if water temps are less than 180* and RPM is under 1000 (or right around there).

Yeah, I think thats right. Did you check that ground?
Old 05-11-2007, 07:39 PM

Originally Posted by swansong04
no with the switch on .. the piston won't clse on the brake .. you guys with 2007's how do you hook up the electronics on your .. you don't need the controller right ?? is the truck over 1000 rpm when you are trying to use it .. put it in two haul and go down a hill real fast to bring the idle up and see what happens ..

Gary
No controller needed, and you don't have to be in tow/haul for it to operate. Just need to flip the switch.

The brakes for the '06 and 5.9L '07 autos integrate into the ECM by plugging 2 wires into the factory ECM plug. The ECM is preprogrammed to control the brake.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia
No controller needed, and you don't have to be in tow/haul for it to operate. Just need to flip the switch.

The brakes for the '06 and 5.9L '07 autos integrate into the ECM by plugging 2 wires into the factory ECM plug. The ECM is preprogrammed to control the brake.

yeah OK gotcha .. so it still does the warm up and the three exercises open/closes if you don't have the switch "on" with the stock controller ?mine doesn't have to be in two/haul to work either .. i just suggested that so he would be at the appropriate rpms .... i have a pac brake controller in my 04.5 .. it works great .. i beta tested it for them ...

Gary
Old 05-11-2007, 07:50 PM

Did you ground pin #42(after switch if installed)?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:48 PM

OK guys, I am an idiot!

I didn't use the switch supplied. I hooked up the white wire to my #1 relay on my remote control switching system - I left #1 switch / relay free specifically for the brake. Here's the deal. I forgot that the remote control receiver is switching my relays on with a negative trip to positive output. So, when I hooked the white wire to that relay like my aux. lights, in effect I was applying positive current to the white wire. Stupid! Thank goodness I didn't fry my ECM.

I just came back from changing the white wire to directly onto #1 at the receiver (negative output when switched on).

Now, it works. Stays on until 180* and turns off by itself.

I haven't road tested yet, but at least that works normally in the garage. Now, to clean all the dirt off me from laying under the truck and crap falling down.

Maybe go cruise for honeys and test the brake. "I brake for brunettes........."
Old 05-11-2007, 08:59 PM

OK guys, I am an idiot!

I didn't use the switch supplied. I hooked up the white wire to my #1 relay on my remote control switching system - I left #1 switch / relay free specifically for the brake. Here's the deal. I forgot that the remote control receiver is switching my relays on with a negative trip to positive output. So, when I hooked the white wire to that relay like my aux. lights, in effect I was applying positive current to the white wire. Stupid! Thank goodness I didn't fry my ECM.

I just came back from changing the white wire to directly onto #1 at the receiver (negative output when switched on).

Now, it works. Stays on until 180* and turns off by itself.

I haven't road tested yet, but at least that works normally in the garage. Now, to clean all the dirt off me from laying under the truck and crap falling down.

Maybe go cruise for honeys and test the brake. "I brake for brunettes........."

awesome , glad you got it fingered out !! do you have a straight pipe on it cause it sure sounds sweet with one "edit "(oops you do !! ) !! .. and wait til you head into the Rockies and use it going down some of those hills with a load on ... holy they works sweet !!!

good luck

Gary
Old 05-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Originally Posted by swansong04
awesome , glad you got it fingered out !! do you have a straight pipe on it cause it sure sounds sweet with one !! .. and wait til you head into the Rockies and use it going down some of those hills with a load on ... holy they works sweet !!!

good luck

Gary

Yep, straight piped and a lost kitty - see sig.

It sounds sweet already........ in my garage at an idle!