3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

PacBrake Compressor Failure

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2008, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question PacBrake Compressor Failure

Has this happened to anyone? I am looking at getting one but have concerns about the compressor mounting location (side of the head next to the valve cover). The reason I ask is that the head mechanic at the fire department I work at said that he helped a guy out that was on the side of the road with a compressor that fails to work after awhile. He said it works fine for the first 2 hours in the morning and then quits after it gets hot. Does this location cause the compressor to get hot and quit? Does anyone know what brand of compressor PacBrake uses? Thanks for your replys in advanced.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:05 PM

Mine has worked flawlessly.

The compressor is made by Viair.
Old 02-12-2008, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by ptgarcia

Is your compressor located in the engine bay also?
Old 02-12-2008, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by cgmorgan06
Is your compressor located in the engine bay also?

Yep.

Old 02-12-2008, 03:55 PM

In the begining we were telling people to mount the compressor intake filter on the fire wall. During the summer months the added heat would hit the thermal cut out. When we started telling people to relocate the intake to the front of the vehicle it quit hitting the themal cut out. Even if the compressor quits working the engine runs normal so why the fellow would have needed help from someone is unclear to me.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:04 PM

Originally Posted by Harold-Pacbrake
In the begining we were telling people to mount the compressor intake filter on the fire wall. During the summer months the added heat would hit the thermal cut out. When we started telling people to relocate the intake to the front of the vehicle it quit hitting the themal cut out. Even if the compressor quits working the engine runs normal so why the fellow would have needed help from someone is unclear to me.

Harold,

Do you have documentation you can send me showing how/where to relocate the intake filter? I just may relocate mine seeing it gets hotter than you-know-where down here during summer.

Thanks!
Old 02-12-2008, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by Harold-Pacbrake
The fellow was not necessarily stranded by any means, he just needed it to work as we live in steep country. I just took the plunge and order one from Lary, what a nice guy to deal with.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:10 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good choice. It doesn't take too much reading to figure out that just about ALL of us with the new(er) Pac Brakes are totally satisfied.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:18 PM

Thanks Paul,

I called Pacbrake after posted this and asked them and I was told it is the Viair 275 model. Looks like a pretty decent compressor. I had been looking at just putting an air compressor system on the truck to fill tires and what not and I had decided on a Viair product. I hope that this kit will be ok for that occasional use (filling tires), though it sound like it is a little too small for that job.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:20 PM

Harold,

Do you have documentation you can send me showing how/where to relocate the intake filter? I just may relocate mine seeing it gets hotter than you-know-where down here during summer.

Thanks!
You might as well post the info here Harold so that others can make the change.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:31 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Thundercloud
I hope that this kit will be ok for that occasional use (filling tires), though it sound like it is a little too small for that job.
I haven't had much luck with mine for anything other than blowing some dust off my shoes one time. It may be good for like filling an inflatable pool toy, but anything big would take forever.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:37 PM

The best thing to do is add a larger tank. I think Harold said up to 2.5 gal tank is okay to use with the smaller compressor. They also have larger tank and compressor options for more rigorous work.
Old 02-12-2008, 04:52 PM

The best thing to do is add a larger tank. I think Harold said up to 2.5 gal tank is okay to use with the smaller compressor. They also have larger tank and compressor options for more rigorous work.
I might end up just upgrading the tank at some point to the 2.5 gallon. I was mainly thinking of refilling tires after airing down when 4-wheeling. If the larger tanks does not help enough I will upgrade the compressor.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Thundercloud
Has this happened to anyone? I am looking at getting one but have concerns about the compressor mounting location (side of the head next to the valve cover). The reason I ask is that the head mechanic at the fire department I work at said that he helped a guy out that was on the side of the road with a compressor that fails to work after awhile. He said it works fine for the first 2 hours in the morning and then quits after it gets hot. Does this location cause the compressor to get hot and quit? Does anyone know what brand of compressor PacBrake uses? Thanks for your replys in advanced.
Are you sure it was a Pac? I have heard of plenty of vacuum pump failures (siezing up) on the dealer installed Jacobs units but can't recall many compressor failures on the Pacbrakes. And as was stated earlier - a compressor failure would not make engine inoperable - a Jake unit is a different story. If one of thier vacuum pumps siezes then you have to replace the serpentine belt with a different one to bypass the pump in order to drive the truck. I don't have either but when the time comes I'll be getting the Pacbrake.
Old 02-12-2008, 05:06 PM

Ok 2.5 gal is the MAX you want for that style compressor, we do have larger 100% duty cycle units if needed with a 5 gal tank.

As for photos of the relocation unfortunately I don't have any, but if you re-route the intake around the intercooler& rad you can hang it just below the front bumper out of sight it will draw in cooler air fron there. another good place is to put it in your air cleaner box