3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Overboosting.....

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 12:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Overboosting.....

I was running on the interstate earlier and I punched it pretty hard for just a couple seconds. I had the Quad Race on the higher level to see what it would do. When I punched it, the truck ran good for a second and then defueled, the engine shut down (I lost power steering I guess from the shutdown), and the truck threw a code. P0234 which is an overboost code I believe. I let it sit for a second and then it started right back up and ran fine for the next 50 miles which was how far away I was from home. I thought the Quad Race box would eliminate the high boost code?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:05 PM

You know the funny thing is that the truck will go into limp mode if you set an underboost code but it will continue to run fine if you set an overboost code. Seems to me that's backwards....

Quad's boxes do boost fooling just so you don't have that issue. You will probably need to call them on this....
Old 07-29-2007, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
You know the funny thing is that the truck will go into limp mode if you set an underboost code but it will continue to run fine if you set an overboost code. Seems to me that's backwards....

Quad's boxes do boost fooling just so you don't have that issue. You will probably need to call them on this....
I'm hoping there is just a problem with boost fooling in the box. I love the way his box delivers the power I just don't want any codes......
Old 07-29-2007, 01:32 PM

I hear you there........
Old 07-29-2007, 02:09 PM
Banned

Call Quad's tech support monday morning...talk to my buddy Roark, any of the guys there will take care of you
Old 07-29-2007, 02:29 PM

Your truck actually shutdown from a overboost code? I threw the same code on the highway last nite and I didn't experience anything like that, weird.
Old 07-29-2007, 02:32 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Are you sure the code just showed up? What are your defuel settings on the Commander? Either one should not shut the truck off, factory or Quad box. The code could have been there from before. What are you reading for boost on the Commander? I think you can go back and look at playback on the Commander, but I haven't played with it! Maybe not.
Old 07-29-2007, 11:00 PM

Actually I think I figured the problem out. I had a transmission drop bracket installed late yesterday afternoon. I had the problems with my truck this morning after picking it up from outside their shop; they didn't finish until late last night and it's about a 50 mile drive from here. After I got home this morning and posted on here, I left to go to lunch and the truck did the same thing. So I stopped, shut it down, waited a couple minutes, and fired her back up. She ran fine till I got home. I got a little curious and checked the fuel pressure on my Commander to make sure it was doing fine; actually it wasn't. It was reading 4 psi at idle and that was with the GDP 392 comp installed. That worried me, so I got under the truck to check things out and then I saw the problem. My fuel line that I had run was pinched between the fuel tank and one of the cross braces under the bed. I'm guessing the guys decided to drop the tank for whatever reason when they installed the drop bracket and didn't pay attention when they were reinstalling it. So I fixed that and now my pressure is back up and everything seems to be fine. I guess I just run out of fuel; that can't be good for the truck.

Then the plot thickens...... ...... I didn't remember seeing any warnings on my Commander of low fuel pressure; I have it set to warn me at anything below 20 psi because the Walbro runs at around 32 psi normally. If it ever falls below 20 psi, I most likely have a problem. I went through my warnings/alerts screen and it seems that the guys at the shop felt the need to play with my settings. Everything was all screwed up and the fuel pressure warning/alert was turned completely off. That's why I didn't see what was happening. I guess I'll be giving them a call in the morning to express my feelings.