3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

outerwears worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
outerwears worth it?

i was wondering if an outerwear is worth it for your air filter? who runs them on here and do you like it?
Old 12-28-2009, 09:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got one on my WW and love it. Keeps the big stuff and some of the moisture off the filter. I would recommend them.

HotRod
Old 12-28-2009, 11:44 PM

I run one on my amsoil filter definately worth it keeps alot cleaner.
Old 12-29-2009, 07:41 AM

They will get holes in them from rubbing against anything under the hood, like my alternator and airbox basemount, but I feel much better having it on there if I have to drive through any high water...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:03 AM

Pantyhose over your air filter can be a less expensive, disposable option. Got to be secure in your "Manhood" to run them tho'... Guys I know are always looking for an opportunity to tease...
Old 12-29-2009, 08:16 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
They will get holes in them from rubbing against anything under the hood, like my alternator and airbox basemount, but I feel much better having it on there if I have to drive through any high water...
zilla you have a BAHF on there and it is HUGE so it stands to reason it will rub somewheres. good lookin set up though. saw the pic on another post
Old 12-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wildcat
Pantyhose over your air filter can be a less expensive, disposable option. Got to be secure in your "Manhood" to run them tho'... Guys I know are always looking for an opportunity to tease...
yet you have always been a tease. Buffalo hunter
Old 12-29-2009, 08:20 AM

The Red cover looks good with the green valve cover. My next cover, which I need pretty soon, will be green. I kind of like that color.

One more thing, the elastic on each end is pretty fragile so be careful not to stretch it too much or it won't get tight again. That's how mine is right now....
Old 12-29-2009, 09:12 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Running it, like it a lot. Without the stock air box for protection, the outerware keeps a lot of crud off the filter. It is a lot easier to clean the pantyhose than the filter...

It will make a hole anywhere there is rubbing...
Old 12-30-2009, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by wildcat
What size Pantyhose will I need?
Old 12-30-2009, 01:52 PM

And will the pantyhose keep water out of the filter? Do you have to shave the filter first?
Old 12-30-2009, 11:27 PM

Just couldn't leave it alone, could ya, Chris?? lol!

I KNEW I'd catch hell for posting this! Ohh well, what's new? Good thing I'm secure with my manhood. You guys laugh all you want, then go buy your "outerwear". I'll stick with my inexpensive, disposable solution, and grin while you spend money and tease...

As far as size, ALL my air cleaners (4" tall K&N on the Buggy and Jeep, and the S&B Cone filter in my Icebox) wear the Jet Black QUEEN size in the 3 pack.

I like the Jet black. It looks good on the filter, and it matches the color scheme I have for my truck.

LOL at Dodgezilla! Brother, If you had panty hose on your air filter, you wouldn't care about a hole getting worn in them. They are cheap to replace. Also, the Elastic is better than what you describe in post #8... As far as water, it will bead on the surface of them, and you could always filter oil them if you are running an oiled filter.

Not too sure what would happen if you dumped water on them. I would think some would get through. I Guess if you are interested, you could run a test on them.
Old 12-31-2009, 04:47 AM

I ask what size only because the wife had some ankle high Pantyhose hanging around. Though I could grab one and see if it would stretch over my cone filter without ripping. And yes they are black.
Old 12-31-2009, 06:39 AM

LOL!! It is a good idea wildcat. I may try it instead of the Outerwears next time. The Outerwears is not 100% waterproof. It's really just "Water Resistant"
Old 12-31-2009, 09:10 AM

I was wondering why you see so many men buying panty hose . . although, they do keep you warmer in the winter . .

I run the outerwears pre-filter on my Amsoil filter too, wouldn't be without it, maybe I'll try the panty hose and see how they work??? I'd guess the panty hose are not as water resistant as the outerwears.

CD

Quick Reply: outerwears worth it?