3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Optima - RedTop's

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Optima - RedTop's

Just bought a pair of Optima RedTop's yesterday ($120 p/battery). As an FYI for those that are interested in getting a pair, the 3rd gens take model # 34 and need a Group 65 adapter/plate that goes on the bottom of the battery that basically makes the bottom square so the hold down clamp will work properly. Most places don't know about or carry the adapter. I got mine at Batteries Plus. I planned on doing it myself but they offered to put them in for me for $7.00...can't beet that.

They fit great with no movement in the tray. In my opinion, they're a perfect battery for our trucks as they resist heat and cold very well and handle vibration even better. My neighbor has had the same set on his truck for 7 years in the Phx heat...not bad at all.

Karl
Old 10-16-2004, 02:51 PM

Re: Optima - RedTop's

Originally posted by 1tuffdiesel
Just bought a pair of Optima RedTop's yesterday ($120 p/battery). As an FYI for those that are interested in getting a pair, the 3rd gens take model # 34 and need a Group 65 adapter/plate that goes on the bottom of the battery that basically makes the bottom square so the hold down clamp will work properly. Most places don't know about or carry the adapter. I got mine at Batteries Plus. I planned on doing it myself but they offered to put them in for me for $7.00...can't beet that.

They fit great with no movement in the tray. In my opinion, their a perfect battery for our trucks as they resist heat and cold very well and handle vibration even better. My neighbor has had the same set on his truck for 7 years in the Phx heat...not bad at all.

Karl
My question is WHY are you getting batteries already
I've got an 03 with 30k on it and my batteries are working just fine.
Old 10-16-2004, 03:27 PM

I'll tell you why. He lives in Phoenix and the summer weather down here kills batteries quick. If you can get 2 years out of a premium battery you are lucky. He will probably do better with the Optima.
Old 10-16-2004, 05:15 PM

my question is how do they work in the cold..........I regularily see -30 and colder. Not sure they have enough juice to turn this engine over in the cold. Any thoughts?
Old 10-16-2004, 07:54 PM

Dr., they have 800 cranking amps at 0 F and 1,000 at 32 F which is much more power than stock. -30 F is pretty tuff on anything but I've seen other's with Optima's say they've performed very well in similar conditions.

As to why I purchased them...more for the piece of mind and for their durability (we go to Col every year and run various trails as well as AZ trails). The final decision maker for me was during the last month my neighbors battery exploded on his Ford and a coworkers exploded in his 2003 Dodge, both stock factory batteries. That was the first I've ever heard of batteries exploding but apparently both cases were due to the internal plates breaking and creating an internal spark. I did a search on various forums and this was more common than I certainly would have thought.
Old 10-16-2004, 08:40 PM

1tuffdiesel, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of it like that before. I usually just run the batteries until they **** me off and don't start anymore
Old 10-16-2004, 09:26 PM

Originally posted by SuperGewl
1tuffdiesel, thanks for the info. I hadn't thought of it like that before. I usually just run the batteries until they **** me off and don't start anymore
Ya, me too.
Old 10-28-2004, 02:36 PM

Optima red tops are the ultimate starter battery. In terms of heat/cold, vibration, power output, reserve capacity and long life; they take abuse like nothing else.

Just remember Optimas take a charge way quicker and much more efficently than lead acid batteries. If you run them way down, they have very rapid recovery with as little as 10 amps supply. They are probably the most under-rated battery on the market. If you don't believe me hook one up to any battery tester, you'll probably be quite amazed. I have two of the abovementioned models in my 04.5 CTD A year or so ago I ran a test on my local tire & battery shop's high tech meter and @ 0* Celcius (32*F) my red top was pouring out 1380 amps!! (800 CCA rated). I have found that they hold this power very well when temps drop. I have used the crap out of other red tops at +40 to -40*C with nothing but complete satisfaction

Just remember that if you go with Optima, it's all or nothing. I.e. your 5ver or TT must have an optima(s) as well otherwise you can blow them out 'cause they pull all the charge in your system away from any lead acid that's in line.

Optima batteries ROCK!!!

My mottos for today: Got Red tops?

Previous Motto: Got Horns?

Enjoy
Old 10-28-2004, 02:52 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
AND Red tops are 20+ pounds each lighter than stock batteries. Thats 40+ pounds less weight to carry around on the front end. They won't leak either. Gel cell is the way to go.
Old 10-28-2004, 06:18 PM

Re: Optima - RedTop's

Batteries Plus, do they have a website?
Old 10-28-2004, 07:02 PM
Muted User

Costco carries them too ... got'em in mine.
Old 10-29-2004, 01:18 PM

What about the yellow tops? Would those be better that the reds?
Old 10-29-2004, 10:18 PM

Thanks guys.........They are more pricey up here, but I will need batteries soon - Ill have to check em out.
Old 10-30-2004, 02:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by 1tuffdiesel
Dr., they have 800 cranking amps at 0 F and 1,000 at 32 F which is much more power than stock. -30 F is pretty tuff on anything but I've seen other's with Optima's say they've performed very well in similar conditions.

As to why I purchased them...more for the piece of mind and for their durability (we go to Col every year and run various trails as well as AZ trails). The final decision maker for me was during the last month my neighbors battery exploded on his Ford and a coworkers exploded in his 2003 Dodge, both stock factory batteries. That was the first I've ever heard of batteries exploding but apparently both cases were due to the internal plates breaking and creating an internal spark. I did a search on various forums and this was more common than I certainly would have thought.

One of the original batteries in my truck blew up on start. Really made a mess out of the engine compaartment. The replacements boiled over constantly, ruined the paint on both fenders and the battery cases had to be taken out and the corrosion cleaned off and painted. The Red Tops are great. No problems since gettng them. Ran the truck over a year on just one Optima.
Old 10-30-2004, 07:09 AM

Originally posted by RonsRig
I'll tell you why. He lives in Phoenix and the summer weather down here kills batteries quick. If you can get 2 years out of a premium battery you are lucky. He will probably do better with the Optima.
2.5-3 yrs in TX heat....

Quick Reply: Optima - RedTop's