3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Opinions on K&N Cold air intake

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2006, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opinions on K&N Cold air intake

Im still trying to decide on a CAI. I work construction and the enviroment is very dusty and dirty. I want the sound and the filtration qualitys of the AFE but dont want to spend the money. Thought about a drop in AFE But not sure if i will get the sound im looking for. Ive had K&N's on many veihcles over the years and have had good luck with them but never ran one in a diesel. Whats everyone else think?
Old 05-14-2006, 11:49 AM

K&N seems to be hated on by the diesel crew. They allow too much dirt in, so I wouldnt suggest it, especially since you work construction.

I built a homemade torque tube ($60) and have a UNI filter. Just got done cleanin it and the intake tubing is still looking good and clean. It had about 30k miles on it before I cleaned it.
Old 05-14-2006, 12:11 PM
Banned

Thumbs up

Or something that uses AFE's Pro-Guard 7 filter. That does a good job of filtering.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:12 PM

I've got no complaints with my K&N, as long as you maintain it the oiled filter will work great. If you want added protection you can get a K&N prefilter as well.
Old 05-14-2006, 04:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had the K&N on my truck for 50,000 and it worked well. I switched to a BHAF just to see what would happen and noticed a few things.

1. My fuel economy did not change between the two.

2. The Turbo Whistle is a bit quieter with the BHAF. For me this is a plus while towing in the hillcountry of TX.

I don't have a pyrometer so I dont know how it impacted my EGT's. I am in the process of making a heat shield for the BHAF so I don't know if that will help my MPG's.

I hope this helps and good luck with your decision.
Old 05-14-2006, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by 8mpg
K&N seems to be hated on by the diesel crew. They allow too much dirt in, so I wouldnt suggest it, especially since you work construction.
That is why I removed mine.
Old 05-15-2006, 10:14 AM

Originally Posted by bmoeller
That is why I removed mine.
I had a K & N drop in on my rockcrawler with grease on all the mating surfaces (old dirt bike trick). I maintaned the filter. One day when I was working on it I had to remove the tube from the air cleaner to the TB. There was about a quater inch of dirt and dust in the tube and TB. K & N went into the garbage and I went back to an OEM filter. Checked it after a Johnson Valley trip (very dusty) Hardly any dirt in the tube or TB. I also put a kit on my 02 Tundra and it ran worse, flat spots and check engine lights. Would I buy another set-up, what do you think?
Old 05-15-2006, 10:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
K&N's are junk. Stay stock and swiss cheese the air box if you want. Diesel engines don't like dirt and dust. AFE PGM7- Get what you pay for. I also have a pre-filter on mine. It is a pain to clean the bugs out of the pleats.
Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM

Only had mine on for a few thousand, seems to work great, but I don't live in a dusty area either.
I did have one on my gas truck prior to this one and lived in a very dusty area, Mojave Desert, no complaints the filter worked great.

I run K & N on everything I own, My Harley's and other gasser 4 X 4.

No complaints,
Old 05-15-2006, 11:11 AM

Dont swiss cheses the box. Just put a 4" PVC pipe under the airbox and let it grab fresh air from behind the front bumper. It is still protected from the elements and can draw a ton of air. My filter minder used to pull down to the redline under one hard pull on a new filter, now it is only a third of the way to the same mark.
Old 05-15-2006, 04:57 PM

Thank you for your opinions

How loud is the turbo whistle with the AFE/swiss cheese mod?
Old 05-15-2006, 05:49 PM
KKB

I had a K&N intake on my 99 cummins for about 125,000 miles before I traded it for my 05. It never let any dirt in and I am on gravel roads all the time. I have had one on my 05 since almost day 1 and I have 16000 miles now and also working great. The sound is good compared to stock. A lot of people on these forums bash certain products eventhough they haven't tried the products. I recommend taking advice from people who have used the products. I think the K&N is a great product and I have no complaints. Search for the K&N part # on ebay for some good prices. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 05-16-2006, 10:48 AM
Banned

dodgetech77,

Shameless ad removed

Mark @ DPPI
Old 05-16-2006, 12:23 PM

Smile

I have always used K&Ns never had any problems if serviced correctly,I also use the outerwear cover.
Old 05-30-2006, 10:04 AM

I've always used K&N filters, until the on on my 2001 PSD. I had it on for about 50K miles, and the turbo went out. Took the intake/tube off and it was full of dirt, eventhough I rountinely cleaned the filer and maintained it.

I advise them on gas motors but not Diesels. I've heard a ton of good things about AFE/Proguard but don't have any experience with them.

I think i'm going to try the AFE out.

good luck.

Quick Reply: Opinions on K&N Cold air intake