3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Oops, I found out what Turbo bark is today.

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2005, 11:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oops, I found out what Turbo bark is today.

I beat on my truck pretty hard most of the time and I've always been worried about Chuffing the Turbo when letting off, but I have never heard anything abnormal.

Today I was running the Quad box in the 140 mode and went from zero to 80 mph and had to let off because I caught up with traffic. I left off quickly to get on the brakes and heard what a turbo bark sounds like. Thanks to this site, I drove home the rest of the way with visions of a twisted turbo shaft running through my mind.

My truck normally will run over 1400 degrees and over 41 psi boost in the 140 mode. Today was the longest I stayed in it since I got the Quad box and the egt leveled out at about 1500 degrees but I didn't see what the boost was I want to run it at the track in the next couple of weeks and I was gonna take out the AFE drop-in filter for a pass or two to see if that helps with the EGT. I already drilled the air box. Looks like there may be a new turbo in my future. If I spent the money on a turbo then I might have to get a TST
Old 05-26-2005, 05:34 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If you have to pull the filter for better airflow, you're using the wrong airfilter.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:05 AM

I just want to be able to make a couple passes at the track in the 140 mode. If I see a drop in EGT than I'll know that I need a better flowing filter. If I don't see any reduction then I'll know I need a better turbo I'm not to worried about driving a mile without a filter.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:06 AM

You'll be amazed at what you can pickup at the track with no air filter!! (I aint talkin' bout horspower either!)
Old 05-26-2005, 11:07 AM

I will highly suggest you don't pull the filter. I can tell you right now, you need a bigger turbo.

I picked up a rock at the track, and it completely destroyed my two turbos, my head, and a piston.

Don't do it. Removing the filter leaves your truck very open to F.O.D.

If you are dead set on removing the filter, atleast put some screen over the intake so nothing big enough can get through to the turbo/motor.

It's not about dirt, or "unfiltered" air, it's about FOD.

Turbo bark is not THAT bad for the turbo. It's merely the "stalling" of the blades against the airflow. (Like an Airplane stalling, not like stalling a motor)

Merrick
Old 05-26-2005, 11:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OK, I'm going to register an experience-based minority opinion here. I would strongly suggest that turbo surge be avoided whenever possible. The loading-unloading-loading of the compressor impeller and shaft experienced during surge can ultimately result in cyclic fatigue failure of compressor impeller blades or the shaft itself.

Our company manufactures industrial engines, gas turbines, reciprocating and centrifugal compressors, control systems and turbochargers. I've had to perform too many forensic analyses in my 31+ year career of turbos and centrifugal compressors destroyed by surge.

For what it's worth.....

Rusty
Old 05-26-2005, 02:08 PM

Rusty,

I agree 100% with you.

The advice I usually give my customers is, don't be scared if you bark your turbo, just realize how you barked it, and avoid that situation again.

A single bark will not kill an OE turbo. Repeated barking will, or if a big enough turbo gets barked hard enough it will.

Get up nice and close to a 3rd gen with a Cold Air intake. When the truck gets shut off, you will hear the turbo "barking" for a moment untill the turbine slows down.

That's my $.02

Merrick
Old 05-26-2005, 03:26 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MCummings
I will highly suggest you don't pull the filter.

I picked up a rock at the track, and it completely destroyed my two turbos, my head, and a piston.
Merrick
You must have been getting beat and swallowed some roost since intakes are front of the front wheels
Old 05-27-2005, 09:56 AM

LOL. Or I was racing with mud tires...

Merrick
Old 05-27-2005, 11:08 AM

anyone have a sound clip of a turbo bark. i want to know what to look out for.... i have let off a couple times from WOT because someone got in front of me
Old 05-27-2005, 09:30 PM

Thanks for all the info guys! StrokethisCTD, I was wondering the same thing but you'll know it when you hear it. Mine sounded like a really loud pooshing noise
Old 05-28-2005, 12:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
So is "turbo barking" what happens at tractor pulls when the turbos make a weird noise, then the show stops? If it is, I've heard it a time or two for all the pulls Ive been to. Isnt it when the turbo kind of gets ahead of itself? Like almost a reverse effect for a moment?
Old 05-28-2005, 11:09 AM

so its a noticable sound? Just how loud is it going to be? i dont think ive had it happen before but always gotta look out
Old 05-28-2005, 12:58 PM

It will actually sound like a dog barking under your hood Medium size dog

Quick Reply: Oops, I found out what Turbo bark is today.