3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ok,Ok,...I give up on Toyo Mt's...need tire ideas.

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 11:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 67HotRod
I'm ready for a new set of tires and almost bought the Nittos. From the research I have done, most of the nittos are done in 20K miles. A few like AkitaSumo get lucky and get some decent mileage out of them. For me, too much $$ to take a chance and only get 20k miles out of a set.
Iam gona have to throw the BS flag on that! I have ran two sets of the Nitto Mud Grapplers and I have gotten 30k at the least and I tow a 9k tractor on a pretty heavy flatbed gooseneck. My brother runs them on his welding rig and he treats tires pretty bad, believe it or not he ran the muddgrapplers for 28k and then he bought BFG mud terrains and wore them bald at 26k.
Old 02-19-2010, 12:44 AM

XXLTEXAN i have a question you got the same set of tires as mine did your truck always pull to the right? question being mines pulled that way ever since i put them on two years ago ive taking my truck into several places even the dealer twice and still pulls. thanks
Old 02-19-2010, 01:07 AM

Originally Posted by txarrowhunter
Iam gona have to throw the BS flag on that! I have ran two sets of the Nitto Mud Grapplers and I have gotten 30k at the least and I tow a 9k tractor on a pretty heavy flatbed gooseneck. My brother runs them on his welding rig and he treats tires pretty bad, believe it or not he ran the muddgrapplers for 28k and then he bought BFG mud terrains and wore them bald at 26k.
I asked around allot before I spend a dime and do allot of research. Talked to tire dealers and fellas that do allot of driving and towing. Hit every web site and forum possible. Towing, RV, etc. Some have had good luck, but allot have worn them out at the 20K mark. My question is why? Are some of the tires coming out of one plant not up to par as another tire plant? Like I said, some have had good luck.
Old 02-19-2010, 03:56 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
im partial to the toyo open country ats'. i got almost 50k outta my last set on my previous dodge. right now ive got the cooper stt,s. cant wait for them to wear out so i can go back to the toyos. im not a mud tire fan. too noisy and dont do so hot on icy and snowpack roads.
so there's my 2 cents, for what its worth. i suppose.
Old 02-19-2010, 04:47 AM

I've been hammering and I mean hammering my Hankook Dana Pro ATM's... I think there also $165 a tire at Discount tire.com... Hualing all my Elk hunting stuff, 2, 4 wheelers, tents everything you would need when out in "BFE" on and on, up and down dirt roads and HWY... I've had them for 9 months or so and haven't rotated them and the rears still look good! atleast 80% For the price and load range "E" tire, I have been really happy with em'... http://www.discounttiredirect.com/di...naPro+ATM+RF10

I will be buying them again, Hope this helps...
Old 02-19-2010, 04:54 AM

Originally Posted by Dieseljunkie
I'm picking up the Firestone Destination AT in a 315/70/17 Load Range E in the next couple of weeks.. I'll let you know how they are....
Scott
DON'T DO IT!!!! get the Dana Pro's like I had mentioned above!!!! granted my 04 is no slow poke and I put pretty good power to the ground, so no tire is gonna last, the Firestone's sucked!!! Almost as bad a my good for a years SRA's....
Old 02-19-2010, 07:24 AM

Firestone has just released E rated Destination MTs in 285/70 17 and 317/70 17. Nitto has a new tire out called Trail Grappler that looks a lot like the Toyo MT available in 295/70 17. Lots of good reviews on the Firestones on Tire Rack's website.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:41 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by colt45d
XXLTEXAN i have a question you got the same set of tires as mine did your truck always pull to the right? question being mines pulled that way ever since i put them on two years ago ive taking my truck into several places even the dealer twice and still pulls. thanks
You're experiencing right pull do to the increased rolling friction and surface area of the Toyo MT's. Most roads crown to the right for drainage and the tire's feeling it. A Fox stabilizer from Don Thuren is pressurized and induces a slight left drift as the shock wants to expand,thus neutralizing the mild pull you're experiencing. I'm running 285's and had to drop the stock psi as it induces the left drift due to smaller tires. I love the 315+ tires but will probably stay with the 285-75-17 Toyo AT's again as I'm certain fuel will be back to $4.00/gal. soon. The Toyos are stupid strong and flat resistant also.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by XXLTEXAN
Thanks for the reply. I have had probably 10 sets of BFG AT's and the newer AT KO's on 4 ctd in the last 15 years. I really like them but they worry me with a load. I know they make the K/) in and "e" rating for a 16" wheel but not for 17" yet. Does the new Nitto come in 35" and is it made of a harder rubber? Thanks again.
285/70/17 BFG AT KOs are now available in an E-rated (80psi) version. I am running the E-rated 305/65/17 (65psi) size BFG AT KOs. They are showing little to no wear after the first 15,000 miles. Aired-down, the 305s really shine on the beach sand.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:47 AM

High cost for beach access?

Originally Posted by surfram
285/70/17 BFG AT KOs are now available in an E-rated (80psi) version. I am running the E-rated 305/65/17 (65psi) size BFG AT KOs. They are showing little to no wear after the first 15,000 miles. Aired-down, the 305s really shine on the beach sand.
Speaking of beach sand,I saw a photo of a vehicle permitted beach on the east coast where the daily access fee is $90.00. Is that real? Jeez!
Old 02-19-2010, 09:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Danderson
Speaking of beach sand,I saw a photo of a vehicle permitted beach on the east coast where the daily access fee is $90.00. Is that real? Jeez!
Never heard of it. I pay $65/year for my surf tag. This also includes free admission to any state park.
http://www.destateparks.com/fees/surf-fishing.asp
Old 02-19-2010, 09:48 AM

Originally Posted by XXLTEXAN
I did have a job where I pulled 2 different trailers and I need the "e" rating for one of the loads I pulled regularly. The last 12 mos I have had neither job but have still been putting miles on my truck and realized something. My toyo's are wearing like they did with big loads without big loads . I put 20k on a fresh set of 4 and they were done. I got 2 new ones put em on the front took the best 2 of the orig 4 and put them on the back. The new ones on the front have about 12k on them and they were done. I know about alignment issue and about how scrubbing will wear out your tires prematurely but trust me the pressure, alignment, and rotation has been monitored and done since the first 4 were new. I was talking to BOSSHOGG the other day as I havn't seen him in a while (new baby) and he noticed it. He has the exact same suspension mods as me and we got our first 4 toyos within weeks of each other. He said his tires were toast too. I guess my ? is what tire is next. I want a 35/315 and would really like an "E" rating. Also a quick note. The rears wore out on the first set like the fronts so alignment was not the issue. We both had XLR8TR do our alignments and then I have had my alignment done 2 times since...Thanks
I'am on my second set of tires (Toyo's) My first set i had over 35,000. I tow at least twice a month 14K, rotate tires every 5,000 I had several srious burn outs on both front and back, I probaly would gotten 50K.The tire place thought I was changing them to soon.
My tire pressure was around 40 PSI.

This is fact no BS.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by surfram
Never heard of it. I pay $65/year for my surf tag. This also includes free admission to any state park.
http://www.destateparks.com/fees/surf-fishing.asp
Nice shot! Reminds me of Australia. Somebody'll pipe up on that location. Tiger's on,I gotta go. This is gonna be good!
Old 02-19-2010, 10:00 AM

only tow couple times a year 12-14K. My truck used to be lifted 6" and I got a little over 50K out of my 37" toyo m/t's, no bs. still had some life left in them. Now stock height and running 285/18 toyo a/t's have about 11K on them and so far they are wearing great.
Old 02-19-2010, 10:03 AM

I have been running Trailcutter's for the past 7 years. They are a very impressive tire. They are an allterrain tire, but their durability has made they very popular out here in eastern MT. They don't clean mud as well as some of the MT. But the load range E tires have good traction and perform very well on pavement.

Quick Reply: Ok,Ok,...I give up on Toyo Mt's...need tire ideas.