3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Ok Now Hear This

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-2008, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ok Now Hear This

I have a afe magnum force on my truck my parts man insists that my air filter should NOT be on my truck he claims an oiled filter is a big no no for a turbo diesel my only come back is whatever so help me out other than every body sells one
Old 04-28-2008, 04:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow this concerns me considering I have the big barrel looking thing ( K&N ) on the used rig I just purchased.

I too would like to know what the deal is and what to change to.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:51 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I've been using the oiled K&N for about 40K miles now......Not one single problem. If the dealer says they will void the warranty, then take it off! They have the final say, unfortunately. You could fight it, but why? If used properly, most oiled air filters won't cause issues. Too much oil can cause a mess, and issues on other vehicles that use mass air flow sensors and such. If you're out of warranty, don't sweat it. If I was your "parts man" I'd be more concerned about the Edge! Heard several stories of guys with jacked injectors because of raised rail pressure............
Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM

I have a dry filter.....so take this for what it is worth. I have read other threads on this and the motor pulls so much air it actually pulls the oil off the filter and on to the turbo???? Is this true, I don't know. Just what I have read.
Old 04-28-2008, 04:53 PM

umm i have the Edge with Attitude but run it only as high a #3.
What is a jacked injector?
Sheeesh here I am with a new "used" rig and have all the wrong things on it...

just great!
Old 04-28-2008, 05:06 PM
DTR's 'Go to Guy'

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Can't say for sure that the Edge caused it, but a lot of theu guys on here that have had injector problems ( leaking fuel into the engine) seemed to have been running the Edge. Maybe it's just a coincidence, but.........
Old 04-28-2008, 05:35 PM
I watch wind blow...

i also have heard bad things about the K & N, but its been in my truck for 30k miles, i probably need to wash it about now.

also i have the edge with the hot unlock, and it moves the truck along quite nicely. also 35k miles on the edge. but recently i have had a slightly rough idle. could be an injector issue.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:36 PM

No, the dealer does not have the final say in it. There is a law, and unfortunately can't remember and when I can, I can't pronounce it..... but basically air filters, and exhaust and a few other mods cannot be proven that it caused anything to fail when your truck goes in for warranty work. No matter how much the dealer argues with you, they can’t prove it. I also can’t remember if it was in the last Diesel Power Magazine, or Diesel World, or where, but it talks about this law and how to shove it in the dealers face; and when you do, watch the look on their face because they know that most people don’t know about it. Also, I believe in the last Diesel Power mag, K&N talked about oiled filters and how they have done these amazing test on oiled filters. They have NEVER found any oil from the filter anywhere. K&N also states that if you ever run into a problem with your dealer, they will personal call and get the issue resolved. I will look to see if I can find these articles, but they have been in several mags and all over the net. For all you that read the diesel mags, go back an issue or two and you will see the write-ups that cover all of this.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:37 PM

These trucks DO NOT pull oil off the filters. I am determined to find this information and post it now. LOL
Old 04-28-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i have the s&b set up on my truck now-for 60,000 miles- no problems- the key is making sure you do not over oil the filter. if done right- you get no oil drip,etc off of the filter . i also check my tube when i take the filter off to clean- never any oil in there- never any excessive amounts of dirt- it is doing its job
Old 04-28-2008, 05:41 PM

Want to know if your oiled air filter is working? Get an oil sample report:

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/

$22 for peace of mind. I sample my oil to make sure my truck is running well. AFE PG7 has always treated me well with silicon levels of 5-6ppm. That's the same performance as I have measured with my stock filter.

I'd love to see some sample reports from a couple of you K&N guys. IMO a filter you can see daylight through isn's filtering well...
Old 04-28-2008, 05:43 PM

I have run oiled filters for over 300K miles, and I check my impellars at every oil change, and have never found any oil residue on them? I guess if you load them up too much, it could get sucked into the engine.... possibly causing a runaway... but not for long unless it is a continuous stream into the intake?
Old 04-28-2008, 05:45 PM

All programmers can a may cause some injector issues, but not likely. If you are running any type of programmer, especially on a higher setting, you should have an aftermarket lift pump. FASS, Airdog, Glacier. Also, these common rails are very susceptible to injector failure, with or without a box. The fuel is not filtered near what it should be. When you buy the lift pump, make sure you spend the extra money for the filter. The stock trucks came with a 10 micron filter and anything over about 3 or 4 will start eating up injectors, especially when you are constantly hitting 24 or 26000psi. And defidently when you start pushing 29,000. The most common problem with these trucks are rough idle, missing, and poor mileage, most all symptoms coming from poor injectors from poor filtered fuel. If you have not experienced this, you will
Old 04-28-2008, 05:47 PM

Yep, S&B rocks. Great filter.
Old 04-28-2008, 05:54 PM

Originally Posted by dslpwr81
Yep, S&B rocks. Great filter.
Anyone have a pic of the S&B installed? I just ordered one!

Quick Reply: Ok Now Hear This