3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

OK,..head to head,...apples to apples

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2004, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking OK,..head to head,...apples to apples

Who's got the strongest pulling/towing STOCK truck,...D-Max, Ford or CTD? When I say head to head I mean exactly that,...same load, auto to auto or 6 speed to 6 speed, same gear ratios same day same climb. Does anyone know? Have you seen it done? Was it posted. I saw something the other day but trucks were equipped differently and such. Obviously we all luv or CTD's so I'm not looking for opinions but fact,...data filled fact. If nothing has been done maybe someone out west where we have some good hills should call out our brothers with Chevy and Ford and get it on. Oh yea,...totally stock with approximately the same break-in miles. This proposal would have no basis if it's not fair to all. I envision a three part contest all with the same equal load on board to pull. 1st a pull from a dead stop for say 1 mile,...who get's there 1st and what are the speeds attained. (this could be a timed event since you probably can't line up 3 trucks abreast) 2) A passing contest from say 45 to 70mph on say a 3% to 5% grade,...how long does it take to achieve and what part of a mile to attain? 3rd) On an extreme pull,..same load as previous how long does it take to reach the top of say a 6% grade or more hill of a couple miles or more long. Sound interesting?? Perhaps we all get a little twisted by the running around empty speed thing and street light ripping and such,...but the real test of these machines is not who can throw the most $ at the truck and make it go the fastest or sled pull the most with all kinds of enhancements,...but what will they do on their own STOCK pulling,....which is what their claim to fame is. Now this isn't to flame the guys who are smart enough to have come up with the exact right mix of parts and enhancements to make these trucks monsters it's just to say I'd like to know who's making the bull b....s truck of the big three for pulling,.....and i think there are some others out there who would like to know also. Am I right?
Old 08-04-2004, 07:14 PM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Issue #43.......

..... of the TDR, page 30, "2004.5 Cummins 325/600 Engine" has an excellent write-up of the big three trucks. And yes, the old CTD prevails.
Greg
Old 08-04-2004, 08:59 PM

Gimmee a log chain and all three, and let's do a real "test drive"

Having owned 2 of the three, and driven all three, I truly believe Dodge puts it to the ground the best of any I've seen

I'm not sure you will actually find an answer, I'm sure everybody has their own opinions (of course, they either agree with me or they are wrong, but still entitled to their own opinions )

I would still love to see all 3 with a log chain.. it'd be nice to see the furd and cheby draging like tin cans at a wedding
Old 08-04-2004, 09:12 PM

At a diesel pull I went to, stock vs. stock Dodge was not all that impressive to me, but with some mods there was no question that the CTD was the man of the bunch.
Old 08-04-2004, 10:04 PM
Banned

The auto on the chevy's is not something to be messed with. I've pulled up to 12k in my mom's and with that 1st gear, it will almost out do my truck (while mine's empty). Those things are incredibly quick. Empty or not. If dodge put a 5 spd auto behind the CTD, it would be no contest. I'd say the challenge would have to be a stick to stick comparison since they all come with 6 spds, but only 2 come with 5spd autos(aren't the ferds 5sd autos?).
Old 08-04-2004, 11:29 PM

As a matter of fact, Motor Trend just did a write-up on the big 3. All equally equipment. 3/4 ton, Auto, crew cabs. They tested loaded and unloaded and G-Forces up a grade. Due to the 4 speed tranny, Dodge was last. The Furd kicked butt on Chevy and Dodge. Plus the Furd was quieter. Of coarse there are advatages and disadvantages beyond power/acceleration, but this is the subject at hand. Don't get me wrong, I am a Dodge man at heart, but this is what they came up with. It's in Motor Trend September 2004
Old 08-05-2004, 12:20 AM
Banned

I don't trust magazines cause it always seems that someone is payed off. Especially motor trend and car trend (or whatever they are called). Road and track is on the edge.
Old 08-05-2004, 01:15 AM

there are to many diffrences in the options of these trucks and depending on how they are built, even if you compare apples to apples, there would be diffrent outcomes in each diffrent build of the trucks in my opinoin. But if you want to talk towing then put 3.73's, 6 spd manuals, LLY/6.0/5.9, all with crew cabs and say longbeds with 100% evenly weighted combined vehicle/trailer weights, Then give me an inline 6 cummins all the way!

And hey Behrman, If you want to believe motor trend that the ford 6.0 is the quietest of the diesel class then you might as well just believe the rest of the article as well. Even if they could get their pilot injection to work (which they still havent figured it out) It still isnt quieter.
Old 08-05-2004, 12:15 PM

It would be hard for me to believe Motor Trend. I drove all three brand new and the Ford was definitely not quieter. The Chevy and Dodge were close on noise but the Ford was definitely the loudest.

Maybe they sent a "special" one to MT with more power and working Pilot Injection!

FB
Old 08-05-2004, 12:34 PM

All Three are raising the Horse power every year, and sometimes twice in one year.
Each one wants the bragging rights, so it's hard to keep track which one is currently in the lead.
However, we all know which one is the most reliable and trouble free.
Old 08-06-2004, 05:52 AM

trip

Originally posted by FBs555CTD
It would be hard for me to believe Motor Trend. I drove all three brand new and the Ford was definitely not quieter. The Chevy and Dodge were close on noise but the Ford was definitely the loudest.

Maybe they sent a "special" one to MT with more power and working Pilot Injection!

FB
Just did a 2000mi trip to Indy,over the course I passed 4 1 ton trucks broke down on the side of the road, all where late gen Fords,no Dodge's or Chevy's.That is a good enough reason not to own a 6.0.
Old 08-07-2004, 07:56 PM

Ive owned them both

I had a brand new 6.0 ford same set up as what I have right now. i will say that the ford was a power house and had a flawless tranny. it would smoke my 600, but it also wouldnt start, smoked blue leaked oil and had a hesitation problem that almost got me kille d acouple of times. oh yeah it leaked fuel into the oil. all in 12000 miles it was a serious problem child but it flat hauled ***. but when I made ford buy it back, I could have had another one but not a chance. I have a dodge now and love it to death. it is much more refined than my previous two superduties. I do still miss my 7.3 though. I cant say much for the dmax. but that is my experience