3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Oiled air filters versus dry air filters

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 05:07 PM
D45

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have read 2-3 posts about oiled filters actually freezing in extreme cold temps. Some filters have actually cracked, from what I have read.

I really like my AEM dry filter:

Name:  016.jpg
Views: 1565
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  014-3.jpg
Views: 1557
Size:  92.8 KB

Name:  012-3.jpg
Views: 1561
Size:  94.6 KB

Name:  029.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  99.7 KB
Old 04-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When does it get cold enough in Indiana to worry about cracking an oiled filter at subzero temps? If you drive north in the winter, disregard this wise crack.
Old 04-30-2008, 05:29 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
i have not had a chance to read all posts on this thread but the main reason that things are stirred up is a few years ago the manufactures all started issuing bulletins to the dealers for check engine lights. for the techs to inspect to see if an "oiled" aftermarket filter is installed. if so, they were to check codes and if the MAF (i know diesels usually don't have them) was setting codes they were to blame the problem on over oiling and contaminating the MAF and it then turned out to be customer pay situation rather than warranty. This was the main reason most of the filter manufactures started to mfg "Dry" filters.
Old 04-30-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by D45
I have read 2-3 posts about oiled filters actually freezing in extreme cold temps. Some filters have actually cracked, from what I have read.

I really like my AEM dry filter:

What is the flange size on your AEM?

The Amsoil in 6" is only with an 8" tall filter. I'm currently running a 6" X 9" so I don't want to go backwards.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by RowJ
I run a lot of dirt/gravel roads and was also sick of cleaning oiled filters. Last year I bgt an Amsoil Microfiber Filter (#4095) to test against the Pro Guard 7 that came with my BD twins. A brief summary of my findings on the Amsoil Filter...
Positives
- Quality construction....well made, IMO.
- Good filtration; Zero dust or debris in my intake tubes or turbo throats.
- Very easy to clean. 20-30 psi compressed air on the inside blows them clean. Your back on the road in under 5 min. First of each month, I give it a quick 'blow out' and that's it!

Negatives
- Restrictive above about 400-450 hp. Just not enough flow for my set up.
- Turbos spool a bit slower and I get suction noise (vacume pressure) when playing hard.
I also discovered the PRO Guard 7 costs about 15 hp on my CTD, vs the AFE Racing filter (5 layer). But that's for another thread.

I now use the Amsoil Nanofiber Filter for daily driving and work, which is usually set around 425 hp anyway. Love it! I switch to the AFE Race Filter for dynos, drag strip or weekend playing. At my present rate I figure I will never need to clean/re-oil the AFE filter in this lifetime.

RJ
When I had the BD twins I did the same as RowJ and used an Amsoil #4510 (?) Nanofiber filter to replace the BD supplied AFE PG7 filter.

The Amsoil filter always gave ~3-4 ppm silicon oil samples, but was restrictive and I ended up always sucking beaucoup oil past the turbo seals when the fueling was turned up.

In comparison the AFE PG7 filter returned ~15 ppm silicon oil samples. It was also restrictive in terms of sucking oil past the turbo seals, but noticeably less so than the Amsoil filter even though the Amsoil was dimensionally larger in all directions (i.e., more apparent surface area) than the AFE.

I am back to running a large AFE Magnum Force oiled filter with my MPI twins with a pre-filter cover.

If Amsoil made a lot bigger nanofiber filter I would be running it.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:09 PM
madhat's monkey boy...

Originally Posted by tcr
I would say if I were in your shoes the negatives out weigh the positives JMO. My Airaid filters perfectly for my use. I've always(18yrs) had K&N type filters and have NEVER had any problems w/ oiled filters. Yes, you can over-oil if you don't know what your doing. But what all can you do wrong w/ a dry filter if you don't know what your doing???
You brought up a good question. Who actually takes the time to set a regulator to 30 PSI and does not use a narrow tipped blow gun? After X ammount of blowing from the inside-out, when does this dry material start to tear? I will continue to run oiled filters that I can properly clean and reoil. I dont mind the extra time it takes to clean it, it only needs done 1 time a year with the mileage I run.
Old 04-30-2008, 09:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
matego, we are on the same brainwaves! I totally agree, I've always run oiled filters, even on my toys. I clean my about every 25,000 miles for good measure and it still cleans up good. I just haven't justified a reason to go to a dry filter, I've had absolutely no intake problems.
Old 05-01-2008, 02:58 AM

Been using oiled filters for years...no problems.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:35 AM
tcr

Originally Posted by matego
You brought up a good question. Who actually takes the time to set a regulator to 30 PSI and does not use a narrow tipped blow gun? After X ammount of blowing from the inside-out, when does this dry material start to tear? I will continue to run oiled filters that I can properly clean and reoil. I dont mind the extra time it takes to clean it, it only needs done 1 time a year with the mileage I run.
Exactly, and really, how hard is it to oil them right? Not very. If you have a water hose and some time(or 2 filters to rotate), it's a no brainer.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:43 AM

I've cleaned mine once since mid 03.I've checked the intake a few times and all was spotless and no dust.I clean mind late afternoon.Put it in my pump house that is brick and stays warm.Dry by morning,reoiled with a moderate misting and reinstalled.Washed the outerwears in the sink.
Old 05-01-2008, 07:57 AM

I prefer dry filters, but thats just because I am lazy.
Scott
Old 05-01-2008, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by matego
...Who actually takes the time to set a regulator to 30 PSI and does not use a narrow tipped blow gun?
I do. I use a small Husky portable electric compressor. And the Amsoil Nanofiber Filters come with a metal mesh cover.... no tearing I've seen.
Originally Posted by tcr
Exactly, and really, how hard is it to oil them right?
Isn't this the real problem? Ever notice how little oil there is on the factory filters? You can't even see it on your fingers if you try rub the outside. Most first timers over oil.... directions are less than scientific, IMO. Probably just my compulsive nature but I don't like being unsure how much oil is just enough!

There are, from the comments above, many ways to 'skin this cat'. I know one member that buys a new AFE filter every two-three yrs... just to have the piece of mind about proper amount of oiling. Sounds crazy and wasteful to some... maybe not so to others.
Old 05-01-2008, 10:39 AM

I just ordered an extra filter for my S&B so I can remove and replace while I clean and re-oil. I like to clean mine every 20,000 or so.
Old 05-01-2008, 11:10 AM

I have no problem oiling.Very moderate and look at it from inside out through light.The original was slightly oily by feel.