3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Oil Drain plug/valve

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 04:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Oil Drain plug/valve

I'm trying to make the oil change proces simpler w/ less mess....Has anyone used this drain valve/hose from Geno's?

http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1008&CATID=1

What about the fumoto w/ nipple: http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...D=1011&CATID=1

W/out nipple: http://www.genosgarage.com/CoastalDa...ID=346&CATID=1

Looking for impressions & opinions.

TIA

Tony
Old 04-24-2006, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
go with the fumoto, and never look back. so easy to use.
Old 04-24-2006, 10:15 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've got the Fumotovalve with nipple also. Got them from Geno's too. I love it. I makes the oil changes a snap. I just changed mine 3 days ago for the 40K oil change, as I do it every 5k.

You can control the flow down to a trickle or speed it up for draining. It is so much easier than having a full 3 gallons flowing uncontrolled. It is especially helpful if you are trying to get an oil sample to send in etc.

I changed my oil 3 days ago and was able to not spill a single drop of oil anywhere from the fumoto or oil filter.

I definately vote to get it. You won't regret it.
Old 04-24-2006, 11:05 PM

Fram sells a drain for about $20 Cdn. I installed it on my truck and it works great.
Old 04-25-2006, 11:19 AM

Thanks!

Looks like the Fumoto valve w/ Nipple.

My only concert is how low it hangs: Have there been any issues with it being broke off?

My truck is 2WD and I'm probably concerned about nothing.

TIA

Tony
Old 04-25-2006, 02:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyB
Thanks!

My only concert is how low it hangs: Have there been any issues with it being broke off?

My truck is 2WD and I'm probably concerned about nothing.

TIA

Tony

I have never heard of anybody breaking there's off. I can't speak for the 2wd trucks, but mine doesn't hang as low as many other parts of the truck. Unless I was doing some "rock crawling" and jumped directly onto a protruding rock in just the wrong place....I don't know that it can be hit. If that is the case, then it would probably tear up the whole oil pan anyway.
Old 04-26-2006, 12:38 AM

I just installed a Fomoto valve last week. No leaks yet, and I'm looking forward to my first change with it. Like the look, and it is made in Japan, if you care to know.

I have the non nipple type and after looking under the truck, I figure If I hit bottom enough to break that valve off, the engine oil will be the least of my problems.

That valve and the easy access filter (removing the intake) should make this the easiest vehicle to change oil on I have ever owned.

Cheers!
Old 04-26-2006, 09:01 AM

the ez change doesn't hang any lower than the stock drain plug.thats what i have and i love it.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:57 PM

I have the EZ change and I got it from Genos. I like it because I was also worried about the Fomoto being too low on my 2WD. The EZ has a brass cap that covers the part in the oil pan. This is my second CTD and my second time to buy the EZ Change. If you want a little slower drain, you can back off a turn or two on the hose connection. Nothing wrong with the Fomoto, I've just never had one. Either will do the job for you.
Old 04-26-2006, 05:59 PM

I have the one without the nipple...works great with no leaks. Have had it on for about 20k miles now. Not too low either - I haven't had problems draining it - great purchase and I don't have to worry about stripping the stock one either.
Old 04-27-2006, 11:05 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Just to avoid (perceived) clearance problems, I'm ordering the EZ change from Geno's.

Thanks!

Tony
Old 04-27-2006, 01:37 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TonyB

I forget (only changed my oil...let's see...five times on my 3rd gen already) but doesn't the stock drainplug have a magnet in it like the Furds? Does it concern anyone that the quick drains don't?

Not a flame, just wondering.
Old 04-27-2006, 02:13 PM

Interesting thought....Does anyone know for sure? I have not changed oil yet, so I can't validate.

Tony
Old 04-27-2006, 02:35 PM

I don't understand the use of a magnet. Is it so you can verify that your engine is taking a dump just before it does? Magnets may be good for the rear end, trans, or transfer case to keep parts of teeth out of ring gears and such but the engine has a filter for it's oil so I guess I don't see the need.

Maybe someone can enlighten us.

BTW, I don't believe mine was magnetized at all.
Old 04-28-2006, 12:08 AM

Originally Posted by jwooden
I forget (only changed my oil...let's see...five times on my 3rd gen already) but doesn't the stock drainplug have a magnet in it like the Furds? Does it concern anyone that the quick drains don't?

Not a flame, just wondering.

Good question...

This makes me want to buy a high power magnet and stick it to the bottom of the pan and only remove it temporarily when draining the oil.

I would think the Stratapore filter would do the trick though...

Quick Reply: Oil Drain plug/valve