3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Odd dyno experience today.. Wifes truck

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2008, 09:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm goin' with the "not enough load" theory as well. When I have dynoed my truck, John always has to load it a little more than he usually does with other trucks for some reason to get my boost to come up.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:26 PM
DTR Advertiser

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by GOT BOOST?
Sorry to hijack, hey Don what is the estimated time to get my injectors back? I am Jay Thacker, and sent those to you this week, via Tim. Thanks Don.

Got em finished tonight! Dang, those are the nicest injectors I have seen in a looong time. LOL. Will ship tomorrow. How fast? Saturday?

Did you notice that one of the 6 injectors was the new stainless steel type/style? Looks like Bosch is finally making the change to stainless steel holders VS plain old steel.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Don M
Do you have the RPM VS HP? I am thinking speed limiter perhaps
Speed limiter was set at 155mph... But all runs were done in 3rd gear (o/d locked out)...

It would hit right around 80mph in 3rd at 3000 rpm.... So I don't think it was the speed limiter.

Good idea though!
Old 05-22-2008, 09:58 PM

Originally Posted by omaharam
I'm goin' with the "not enough load" theory as well. When I have dynoed my truck, John always has to load it a little more than he usually does with other trucks for some reason to get my boost to come up.
Interesting. I'll try to have them load it a little more when I go back to get it tested again.
Old 05-22-2008, 09:59 PM
O.T

20% less boost on a dyno seems right to me and my experiences. There is very little chance a load dyno will load the truck like the street. No friction no wind ....
I have ran on 4 different mustangs the largest being an MD 1100 and my boost numbers were down 20%. I made power right through the test.

I will say the smaller dyno's will not handle the larger powered vehicles. The dyno may be able to measure say 1500peak hp, however the peak absorption will be 750 in this case. This is maximum electromagnetic absorption. Since the rollers are controlled by magnets and electric brakes the threshold and huge torque numbers may flat line the accuracy./;./

So I say two things, smaller dyno's have proven to me not to read accurate, and boost have been lower on a mustang dyno

My thoughts
o.
Old 05-22-2008, 10:02 PM

They ought to be nice for as much as they set me back. Thanks Don, I really appreciate it and once I get some more stuff done I will be sending the other set back for an "upgrade". I have been hanging around Tim too long haven't I Jay
Old 05-22-2008, 10:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
let me know when you go back, we could try a thing or 3
Old 05-22-2008, 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by onetun
20% less boost on a dyno seems right to me and my experiences. There is very little chance a load dyno will load the truck like the street. No friction no wind ....
I have ran on 4 different mustangs the largest being an MD 1100 and my boost numbers were down 20%. I made power right through the test.

I will say the smaller dyno's will not handle the larger powered vehicles. The dyno may be able to measure say 1500peak hp, however the peak absorption will be 750 in this case. This is maximum electromagnetic absorption. Since the rollers are controlled by magnets and electric brakes the threshold and huge torque numbers may flat line the accuracy./;./

So I say two things, smaller dyno's have proven to me not to read accurate, and boost have been lower on a mustang dyno

My thoughts
o.
Is the MD-600 considered a smaller dyno? I've never done a mustang dyno before so not sure. I do know when I was in the truck and he put a simulaiton of a 12k trailer behind me it felt as if I was towing my travel trailer. Was very interesting the way it behaved. When I was checking the egts he simulated hitting a 6% grade with my toy hauler behind me and it boosted out reall good there and egts went up just like they do when I'm towing. Was pretty cool.

Of course thats not a good way to measure horsepower.. More for diagnostic testing, looking for boost leaks, and tuning for towing and dialing in water injection.

Chad
Old 05-22-2008, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Bob Wagner
let me know when you go back, we could try a thing or 3
When do you have time Bob? I try not to bug you unless it's a dire emergency! I should have let you know I was gonna be trying it out today though.

I think I'll go back in 2 weeks when I get my water injection setup on there.. And a very clean air filter.

What are your ideas? I am all ears.. or eyes in this case! Thanks

Chad
Old 05-23-2008, 10:09 AM

Any codes?

I see 50-53 psi boost on the street, and max boost I've ever seen on a dynojet is 42psi. The truck was heavily loaded with the dyno, and the vehicle's brakes and started the runs with over 15psi boost.

Another thing to consider, is the possibility that the wasegate may be being forced open earlier by heavy fueling while loading with the dyno.
Old 05-23-2008, 10:51 AM

Wastegate setting? May be out of turbo...
Old 05-23-2008, 12:30 PM

Originally Posted by jlibert
Any codes?

I see 50-53 psi boost on the street, and max boost I've ever seen on a dynojet is 42psi. The truck was heavily loaded with the dyno, and the vehicle's brakes and started the runs with over 15psi boost.

Another thing to consider, is the possibility that the wasegate may be being forced open earlier by heavy fueling while loading with the dyno.
Its a thought about the gate getting forced open, but this thing will run 50 psi with my trailer behind it up hill at 3/4 throttle easily.

When he loaded it up it also boosted up to 52 psi (simulating my trailer behind id)

Just wouldn't do it going for hp on the dyno.. I think cquestad might be right.. Might just be out of turbo. Although I figured it would smoke WAAAAY more than it did if it was out of turbo. The level 3 and 5 runs to 520hp had almost zero smoke. That was from a 40mph roll up to 80 on the dyno.

Maybe they were doing it wrong? He was letting it lockup into 3rd, then rolling it up to 40 or so and when it hit that the test would start up automatically and then he'd hammer it till it hit the test cutoff point which was 80mph.

Should I tell them to do it differently?
Old 05-23-2008, 12:33 PM

No smoke makes me feel like no fuel...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:36 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
Wastegate setting? May be out of turbo...
Wastegate setting is at 40psi or so. BUT.. Big but here... I have an electronic wastegate controller (similar to what the ricers run) that goes in between the pressure output from the turbo, 2 an electronic solenoid, and then to the wastegate canister.

It will open the wastegate whenever I want it to. And it works. I can set it to open at 40psi, or 60 if I want..

Now, I do have a boost pressure gauge on that line, so I can see when the wastegate canister is getting pressure. And since I had it set to open at 50psi, it never had any pressure in the line.. On the way home I saw that gauge move a few times so I know it's working.

Chad
Old 05-23-2008, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by cquestad
No smoke makes me feel like no fuel...hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.
Okay CQ.. So help me out with this one... I am confused as heck! On Smarty 7, which made no more power than 5, it still held almost 25k rail pressure, and smoked pretty good, but made no more power than on level 5. My inlet fuel pressure at the CP3 did drop to around 25psi though (from 30)

I didn't bother with level 9 since 7 didn't help me much either.

What do you think of that?

Quick Reply: Odd dyno experience today.. Wifes truck