3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

OBD-II scanners - What do you have?

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004 | 12:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
OBD-II scanners - What do you have?

I am looking to buy a OBD-II scanner to use with my Dodge Ram 2004.5 truck.

I have already generated trouble codes when we did the gauges install. They wont clear on their own. Want to be able to read and clear these codes and any future codes generated.

I am looking at the Auto Xray EZ-Link OBD-II Sensor & Code Scanner. Does anyone have one of these or equivalent that they use? Does it require a DC specific module/program to use with new 2004.5 Ram vehicles?

Any Info would be helpful.

Thanks,

John
Old 09-07-2004 | 12:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm using Alex Peper's software on my laptop. seems to work great. I like the virtual gauges and you can detect/clear codes.
Old 09-07-2004 | 01:33 PM

Originally posted by doug
I'm using Alex Peper's software on my laptop. seems to work great. I like the virtual gauges and you can detect/clear codes.
Doug, I've been looking around at some scanners recently and I have a few questions about Alex's software. Does it allow you to read fuel rail pressure, boost (MAP, as it were), real oil pressure, and which of the packages did you get? There are several to choose from, but I couldn't find anything clear cut saying telling what one should purchase.
Old 09-07-2004 | 01:59 PM

excelent question -- folks need to understand what is and what is not available via OBD. Essentially you can consider OBD as a small subset of what is available via the expensive proprietary scanners. OBD itself is required by law for all vehicles post-1997 but that doesn't mean it provides what you want it to

ok, so the OBD definition calls for a huge pile of parameters that would be of great interest. Alas, the actual implimentation depends a great deal on what DC has exposed to us. what I have on my 03-04:

Manifold Absolute Pressure
Intake Air temperature
Engine Coolent Temperature
RPM
Speed
Throttle position
Engine load percentage

In addition, you have all the code interpretations in there, and the ability to read/reset codes. some cool things I like about obd-2.com:

1. virtual gauges -- set up any parameter with an on-screen gauge
2. data recording and graphing.

rail pressure is NOT available. it is only available in the DC scanners and some of the more expensive scanners from Snap-on, for example. and that won't tell the truth either if you have a pressure box.

no real oil pressure either.

And MAP is also not real boost pressure either -- it is what ever your fueling box reports to the ECM, typically real boost capped at some maximum value.
Old 09-07-2004 | 06:45 PM

That's kind of what I was afraid of. It seems that in order to get some of the ultra cool functions one would have to purchase a DRB or similar tool.

I was really hoping that one of these tools could do some of the more advanced functions. Ah well....