3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Nozzle torque?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 01:00 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
I think both torques will work just fine...

If DDP suggests 55lbs and it works for all of their customers then that is what I would go with.

I went with 35lbs with my DDP nozzle's before they sent directions and didn't have any problems for over 2 years before switching to F1 stix.
Good deal:
I went and checked a new stick and even though Cummins states 35 ft lb, it sure was more than even 55 ft lb.
I believe Lee (pos dodge) will be fine with either.
Old 09-13-2008, 01:16 PM

Time for another hoosier to chime in.

I know breakaway torque on mine when I changed them was up around 55ft-lb. I went off of DDP's instructions the first time, but i had a bad nozzle needle from DDP, so I had problems, and took it apart multiple times.

Regardless, you should be okay. Some important lessons learned from my installs (what's not really clear in the DDP instructions):
1) take your time and really read directions.
2) make sure the copper washers come out of the holes when you pull the injectors
3) the grease that comes with the nozzles is to hold the new washer on the injector when you install it
4) when you put the crossover tubes in, make sure the detent ***** are sticking straight up
5) make sure those crossover tubes click into place
6) torque injector/crossover tube in sequence below
7) don't forget to reconnect the fuel supply line on the bottom of the fuel rail assembly (that was an aggrevating one to troubleshoot on my own)

Tightening Sequence:
a. Install fuel injector holdown clamp (mounting
flange) bolts. Be sure the clamp is perpendicular to the injector body. Do a preliminary tightening of these
bolts to 5 N•m (44 in. lbs.) torque. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and
centered.
b. After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.
c. Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 15 N•m (11 ft. lbs.) torque.
d. Alternately tighten injector holdown bolts to 10 N•m (89 in. lbs.) torque.
e. Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 50 N•m (37 ft. lbs.)
Old 09-13-2008, 01:47 PM
Banned

Lee(pos dodge) says thanks for all the help , especially you Hoosier boys!!
He's in the middle of the job now.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:38 PM

Thanks All

Thanks for all the replies. I finally am done. It took way longer than i expected, but then again i torqued everything to specs. And its not easy to torque the #6 cylinder. Now it smokes a little at idle than before. I did notice the number 6 injector had motor oil all over it when i pulled it out. Is that normal? Thanks fellas.
Old 09-14-2008, 12:32 PM

The oil is somewhat normal since they are in with the valve rockers. Is the smoke white, blue or black? There will be some smoke until the oil/grease burns off from anything that dripped down in the cylinder. I had a tip of one of the nozzles that way broken off, and so it gave me white smoke until i figured out what it was. I even ordered an injector before figuring out what it was. I grabbed the DRB from work and did the injector kill test until i found what hole it was in.

Don't feel too bad about it taking longer than you expected. I got myself in the doghouse, as well as a friend in the dog house because of it taking me til 1am.