3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Nozzle torque?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2008, 09:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nozzle torque?

Just received nozzles and cant find a torque spec for them. I searched injector nozzle installation on here but couldnt find the procedure. Also couldnt get instructions off ddp's website. Thats why im asking. Thanks for any help.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
from the 06 service manual

7. Tightening Sequence:
a. Install fuel injector holdown clamp (mounting
flange) bolts. Be sure the clamp is perpendicular to the injector body. Do a preliminary tightening of these
bolts to 5 N•m (44 in. lbs.) torque. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and
centered.
b. After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.
c. Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 15 N•m (11 ft. lbs.) torque.
d. Alternately tighten injector holdown bolts to 10 N•m (89 in. lbs.) torque.
e. Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 50 N•m (37 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Install integrated gasket
9. Connect injector solenoid wires and nuts to top of injectors. Tighten connector nuts to 1.25 N•m (11 in. lbs.)
torque. Be very careful not to overtighten these nuts as damage to fuel injector will occur.
Old 09-13-2008, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by CamperAndy
from the 06 service manual

7. Tightening Sequence:
a. Install fuel injector holdown clamp (mounting
flange) bolts. Be sure the clamp is perpendicular to the injector body. Do a preliminary tightening of these
bolts to 5 N•m (44 in. lbs.) torque. This preliminary tightening insures the fuel injector is seated and
centered.
b. After tightening, relieve bolt torque, but leave both bolts threaded in place.
c. Install high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Do a preliminary tightening to 15 N•m (11 ft. lbs.) torque.
d. Alternately tighten injector holdown bolts to 10 N•m (89 in. lbs.) torque.
e. Do a final tightening of the high-pressure connector and retaining nut. Tighten to 50 N•m (37 ft. lbs.) torque.
8. Install integrated gasket
9. Connect injector solenoid wires and nuts to top of injectors. Tighten connector nuts to 1.25 N•m (11 in. lbs.)
torque. Be very careful not to overtighten these nuts as damage to fuel injector will occur.
Good info but nothing in that has injector NOZZLE torque specs.

The spec torque for injector nozzle's is 35ft lbs...
Old 09-13-2008, 11:20 AM
Banned

both of you are trying to be helpful,but the correct spec is 55 ft lb.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Good info but nothing in that has injector NOZZLE torque specs.

The spec torque for injector nozzle's is 35ft lbs...
I guess I did not see that as a separate installation to the injector installation. It is surprising that you would order replacement tips and there not be a torque spec with them. The Dodge service manual does not detail injector strip and rebuild so the tip torque is not listed and since the injector torque requirements are more complex then your average fitting I thought that was the question.

Got to reread those posts before you answer sometimes I guess.
Old 09-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

I guess I did not see that as a separate installation to the injector installation. It is surprising that you would order replacement tips and there not be a torque spec with them. The Dodge service manual does not detail injector strip and rebuild so the tip torque is not listed and since the injector torque requirements are more complex then your average fitting I thought that was the question.

Got to reread those posts before you answer sometimes I guess.
it's just good to see that you're willing to help
Old 09-13-2008, 12:28 PM

#2 only,
What is your reference?

Page 6-20 of the Cummins ISB/QSB technical manual clearly states injector nozzle torque as 47NM or 35ft lbs.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:32 PM
Banned

#2 only,
What is your reference?

Page 6-20 of the Cummins ISB technical clearly states injector nozzle torque as 47NM or 35ft lbs.
I am going off the info from DDP, which I don't know where they recieved it from.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by pos dodge
Just received nozzles and cant find a torque spec for them. I searched injector nozzle installation on here but couldnt find the procedure. Also couldnt get instructions off ddp's website. Thats why im asking. Thanks for any help.

http://www.dynomitediesel.com/user_p...html?page=Tech

http://www.dynomitediesel.com/upload...ructions_1.doc
Old 09-13-2008, 12:38 PM
Banned

#2 only,
What is your reference?

Page 6-20 of the Cummins ISB technical clearly states injector nozzle torque as 47NM or 35ft lbs.
This is off the DDP site:

29: Taking care to clean all parts, replace new Extrude Honed Nozzles, and torque to 55ft lbs.

As I stated before, I don't know where they got it from, but I have had no issues in all the many nozzle swap-out I've done
Old 09-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Banned

#2 only,
What is your reference?

Sounds like a good reference. Is in available to the public? A on-line source would be great.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:45 PM

Sounds like a good reference. Is in available to the public? A on-line source would be great.
No online reference that I know of.
Old 09-13-2008, 12:46 PM

Originally Posted by #2 only
This is off the DDP site:

29: Taking care to clean all parts, replace new Extrude Honed Nozzles, and torque to 55ft lbs.

As I stated before, I don't know where they got it from, but I have had no issues in all the many nozzle swap-out I've done
Not trying to start an argument. I am sure 55 lbs will work fine but 35ft lbs works fine also.

Done a few nozzle swaps myself....
Old 09-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Banned

Not trying to start an argument. I am sure 55 lbs will work fine but 35ft lbs works fine also.

Done a few nozzle swaps myself....
it's good not to debate.one of us hoosiers is correct, and like you said,both specs have worked
Old 09-13-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by #2 only
it's good not to debate.one of us hoosiers is correct, and like you said,both specs have worked
I think both torques will work just fine...

If DDP suggests 55lbs and it works for all of their customers then that is what I would go with.

I went with 35lbs with my DDP nozzle's before they sent directions and didn't have any problems for over 2 years before switching to F1 stix.

Quick Reply: Nozzle torque?