3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Not sure where to start...

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2010, 08:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not sure where to start...

My truck sat for a day I hopped in it started it up and it threw a CEL gov solenoid low voltage or high pressure (I think). So I cleared the code took off truck worked fine. Stopped at a friends turned the truck off sat their for 10 mins got in the truck to leave now it's stuck in 1st gear, pull over shut truck down started up and took off it worked fine. Got in it the next day and it was stuck in first then it would jump to 3rd then 4th right away, went to my buddies tranny shop he changed the gove solenoid checked out the tranny jumped in it and it did the same thing stuck in first the would shift to 3rd and jump to 4th, and the over drive light came one and the tranny temp light came on and stayed on. I thought it was the tranny and with it being tax return time I decided to get it rebuilt. Everything in the tranny is brand new now except the natural safety switch and the wiring harness and it's still doing the same thing, the over drive light stays on and the truck is now stuck in 2nd and shifts from 2nd, 3rd the right into over drive and the dummy light for the tranny being hot just stays on. I also replace the batteries because when I had them tested they showed a battery life of 50%.. Anyone have any ideas?? Sorry this is so long.

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2010, 09:29 PM

Just a guess, but last year my truck was DOA when I tried to start it. Had it towed to a dealer, and he disconected both batteries waited 10+minutes reconected bateries and the truck was OK. Service tech said it is like a computer and needed a reboot. Told me if anything like this happened again to do this procedure to reboot the on board computer. This might help.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:11 PM

I had the batteries out for about 20hrs and when I installed the new batteries and started it up it was still doing the same stuff. I just dropped it off at the dealer, so we will see what they say...
Old 02-13-2010, 03:37 PM

Should have bought a manual! Sorry could not resist. Do you have the actual code(s)?
Old 02-13-2010, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by PRO-NRA
Should have bought a manual! Sorry could not resist. Do you have the actual code(s)?
It was throwing a bunch of codes air bag sensor, transfer case motor malfunction, gov sensor voltage to low or pressure to high, and I can't remember the rest, I cleared all the codes and the OD light is still on and the trans temp hot light is still on, and it's stuck in 2nd. I figured it threw all the codes cuz the batteries were going bad. Keep inmind all of these problems were here before the tranny was even pulled.
Old 02-14-2010, 08:52 AM

I had a little Nissan Frontier start doing weird transmission stuff in January. It turned out for me mice had gotten up under the hood and chewed through some wires trying to get the plastic covering for their nest. Since you pulled the batteries out you probably would have noticed something like that I suppose.
Old 02-15-2010, 10:33 AM

I just got off the phone with the dealer. They spent an hour on it and decided they need to drop the pan and check voltage. I told him everything in the transmission was brand new except the neutral safety switch and the wiring harness. I'm hoping when they drop the pan and see the billet solenoids and stuff they don't freak out.
Old 02-15-2010, 04:12 PM

Well it's fixed, I guess the after market billet gov pressure solenoid I bought had a bad transducer. So I'm out $420 bucks, but the new tranny shifts great.