3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Not pleased with my new Wheels and Tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2006, 12:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not pleased with my new Wheels and Tires

Quick recap:
A few days ago I posted photos of my new Jesse James(20x9.5) wheels with Xtreme AT Pro Comp (325/50/20) tires, unfortunately when they sent me the set they did not install the tires properly (directional tires, to many right sides).

I took 2 of them to remount them and make them left sided.
When I drove off I noticed a light inconsistent vibration (shimming) on the steering wheel at around 45 to 55 miles.
Next day and thinking that, the just mounted left side was ok I decided to rebalance the right side. The guy at Les Schwab tried for over 2 hours, even took the truck for a test drive (I know the guy). Finally he came in and told me that he got them the best he could.

When I drove the truck the inconsistent shaking was there so... I took them to another large tire place and asked them to balance all 4, I was happy to see they were over confident about it and told me “they will be done before you know it”.
An hour and half later the Manager came and told me that they could not get them balanced from the hub, that they were going to try with a nut adaptor, so an hour later goes by and now it’s 3 techs around the machine looking puzzled. Half an hour later they were done and with all good intentions told me that they were crossing their fingers.
When I drove off (today), the vibration shimming was/is there.

I am planning to call the company that sold me the set to see what the next step is (hope to do it peacefully)

One of the dam moves I made was to sale my old set just as I received this one, so I am buying a new set (factory) tomorrow so I can send these back if I have too.

I am open for any opinions of what can be done to fix the set, as I like to work this out and keep them. You can see pics of the set in my gallery.

This is frustrating, thanks for any help in advance.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sure a better quality tire would balance up and be a lot better.
Old 11-17-2006, 12:49 AM

My Xtreme AT's balanced fine.....worst tire took about 5oz because the wheel has a slight hobble in it. The other 3 took less than 3 oz each and zeroed out.
Old 11-17-2006, 02:35 AM

us to work at Costco tire center and it is most likely the tires unless the rims are bent which i'm sure they are not but I wold try to get a new set of tires to replace the ones you have. And it depends on how you balance them. Static balancing is the best way as long as your rims enable you too along with balancing them from the lug whole's instead of the normal hub balancing Costco does that. I would have to see a pic of your rims. But Good Luck

Michael
Old 11-17-2006, 02:47 AM

Something tells me the centers (hub Whole is off center) which could mean the rest of the wheel could be mis drilled, the center hub whole is the point everything should be centered off....

I have learned the hard way,,, I always road force balance, then make sure the the Hub Centric rings fit properly, tighten wheels by hand, then torque,,, I do it once and do it right

If they couldn't balance off the center hub hole there would be nothing you could do cause the wheel is Edit

good luck
Old 11-17-2006, 06:39 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
dismount one tire and wheel, and have them spin the rim only. see if that balances out, and also while is on the machine, watch the rim of the wheel against a reference point, and see if its outta round. this way, you can say definiativly its the wheel, or the tire. thats what I would have done. Goodluck, hope they aren't jesse james knock offs.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:30 AM

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Eddy Reyes :

Did any of the shops have any road force balancing equipment ?
If so, did they measure the road force and report it to you ?

GaryC may have a valid point.....the center bores and / or the stud holes could be off center.

If the tire / wheel assemblies pass the road force test, you may want to try some Counter-Act or other brand of balancing beads.

Good luck getting your issues solved....that sucks dropping that many consumer $$$$'s only to have ride issues.

Greg
Old 11-17-2006, 05:11 PM
wap

I cant offer any help except maybe try centramatics.

But a friend of mine has 315s on his dually, same as yours, but on factory rims and hes got the same vibe you speak of and he has had 2 shops try and balance em.

Good luck
Old 11-17-2006, 05:21 PM

Thanks for all of the good ideas and advices!

Did any of the shops have any road force balancing equipment ?
If so, did they measure the road force and report it to you ?

GaryC may have a valid point.....the center bores and / or the stud holes could be off center.

If the tire / wheel assemblies pass the road force test, you may want to try some Counter-Act or other brand of balancing beads.
Road force balancing (computerized 9600)

dismount one tire and wheel, and have them spin the rim only. see if that balances out, and also while is on the machine, watch the rim of the wheel against a reference point, and see if its outta round. this way, you can say definiativly its the wheel, or the tire.
I always road force balance, then make sure the the Hub Centric rings fit properly, tighten wheels by hand, then torque,,, I do it once and do it right
get a new set of tires to replace the ones you have. And it depends on how you balance them. Static balancing is the best way as long as your rims enable you too along with balancing them from the lug whole's instead of the normal hub balancing
They are working on that right now

I'm sure a better quality tire would balance up and be a lot better.
Better quality? Is Pro Comp quality lesser than say Toyo? Because if any of these tires do not balance, I told the Mechanic to replace them with Toyos MT.

Again, thanks for all the input!
Old 11-17-2006, 05:34 PM
Muted User

Has anyone tried "Equal" in pickup tires? We use it in the steering tires on semis and I have a friend who has it in his 44" Boggers and seems to work well, especially in tires that are hard to balance.
Old 11-17-2006, 05:37 PM
Banned

I had equal in my tires and it was really bad for me, then I did weight balancing on the fronts and inner dual and left the equal in the outer dual and it works really well.
Old 11-17-2006, 06:06 PM

I used to run pro comp x terrains and the palce i got them said it is almost impossible to balance any directional tire...idk why, but ive heard that from several palces....it didnt bother me seeing the truck is a rattle box any ways
Old 11-17-2006, 07:33 PM

Eddie,

The 1st time I drove my truck after paying $100 to mount and balance my Toyo Open Country ATs on my H2s, the brake calipers knocked off all the balancing weights from the front tires. There just wasn't enough clearance. Well, I never rebalanced the rims and at 100mph my truck is smooth as a baby's butt and tracks straight as an arrow. I know of other people running 37" Toyo Open Country ATs with no balancing weights either, and they don't have any issues. The tire plays a large part in how the truck rides. If those Pro Comps don't balance, I'm betting you'll have no problems with the Toyos. Good luck!
Old 11-17-2006, 08:11 PM

I had a problem like that with some tires and wheels that I bought from Discount Tire. Fortunately they worked with me to correct it. They had one of those balancers that measure the eccentric of the tire and wheel. They off set the eccentric from one with the other and it ran pretty good after that.
Old 11-17-2006, 08:34 PM

Mine ( 37,13.5,r20 pcxat) balanced out just fine with minimal weights. Can't say enough good about them

Quick Reply: Not pleased with my new Wheels and Tires