3rd Gen High Performance and Accessories (5.9L Only) Talk about Dodge/Cummins aftermarket products for third generation trucks here. Can include high-performance mods, or general accessories. THIS IS FOR THE 5.9L ONLY!

Not impressed with my 04 CTD 2500 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2007, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not impressed with my 04 CTD 2500 4x4

Posted earlier in the week on another forum, but like the subjects here better, so here goes...

As the subject says I have an 04 CTD 2500 QC 4x4. Truck has 49,000 miles on it and until the last couple months has been a great truck.

It's in the shop now because the rear pinion seal is leaking like a seive. The transmission is leaking where it bolts to the engine and it has a buzzing/harmonic at 70MPH highway cruising speed with an associated rumbling in the cabin.

I won't bother about all the rattles and clunks in the dash and the doors.

The steering is starting to get pretty loose with a lot of play in it. As I've recently discovered reading here about that, I guess I need to accept that these "heavy duty" trucks have crappy front ends.

This truck has been nothing but a highway driver. Has never been worked hard. I used 4 wheel drive 3-4 times since owning it. twice to crawl across some sand for about 100 yards and twice to pull a stuck friend out of some light mud (edited by admin 2-wheel drive Chevy Trailblazer, lol).

Needless to say, I'm a bit taken aback that a $40,000 "heavy duty" truck apparently ain't so heavy duty after all. Yeah, ok, it sucks parts are wearing out like that after so few miles...I'm not happy, but at this point nothing I can do but keep fixing it because I can't afford an 07 Mega-Cab with a 6.7L (as much as I'd like to).

Soooo...about this Thuren track bar and crossover steering....I looked at the Thuren site, but that setup is not even listed for trucks over an 02 model. Is the crossover steering even available for my truck from Thuren?

If so, any idea what the track bar and x-over setup would cost? If it's as good as I am reading here, it'll be worth it, I want a good, tight, good feeling front end (one of my pet peeves with most vehicles).

My truck is stock, although I would like to lift it (I'm thinking a 6" suspension with 36"-37" tires). I like the looks of the big beasts with 10+" lifts and 38"+ tires, but if I understand this lift stuff, that's getting off into a whole new world of expensive...

I'm not really planning any major engine mods, although a small boost would be acceptable (40-60HP). Again, monster power gets expensive with all the driveline mods to go with it.

Anyway....just curious about the Thuren x-over steering and track bar for my truck as a start. I think someone posted about this setup not working with stock wheels....is that true across the board or only for an earlier model year? If I have to get new wheels too, now it's getting above what I can afford any time soon.

Thanks for your time guys

Last edited by Totallyrad; 06-12-2007 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Profanity
Old 05-22-2007, 09:13 PM

Thuren's x-over is available for your truck. I will be getting that and his trackbar in the not so distant future. Definately worth the money. You'll need the bent kit if you want to keep your swaybar. I dont think i can post prices but if you've got his website, you can see the prices there.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:00 AM

Don't get discouraged buddy every truck has a couple things wrong with it every now and then but if you take care of your truck the truck will take care of you. I know my truck was $44,000.00 and it's been to the shop a couple times for minor repair but as long as you fix it and don't let it get to bad you'll stay ahead of the game trust me.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:54 AM

Maybe I'm missing something, If you don't like the product so much why would you want to get another one in a 07 Mega Cab at $50K ????
Seem like you need to move on to a Ford or Chevy.
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Sorry to hear about your problems...I've spent about 20% of my hours off road pulling something and my front ball joints were still ok at 130k ...I replaced them cause the drivers front ujoint was roached. I'm still on the stock bearings and control arms etc. They will go and yes Thuren is what I'll most likely replace my suspension parts with...good price, great quality from what I've seen and heard. IF you are having trouble stock....I'd avoid a cheaper lift with monster tires as this will just make things worse faster. Go the best and make it last. ks
Old 05-23-2007, 10:31 AM

Originally Posted by JuzPlaneKrazy
Maybe I'm missing something, If you don't like the product so much why would you want to get another one in a 07 Mega Cab at $50K ????
Seem like you need to move on to a Ford or Chevy.

You are plane KRAZY, did you just say get a Ford or a Chevy?? Thats a no no here!

Anyways, Im perplexed that your having such trouble with relativly low mileage like that. My truck has only had the ball joints go out when I started seeing death wobble, but after fixing it, nothing has gone wrong. I have 97k and my truck hasnt gone into the shop for anything to speak of other than what was mentioned above. Its performed flawlessly, so I guess some are more reliable than others, and its just the luck of the draw.

Id add you some power, 60hp is nothing, Id go 100hp put it on there and then tell us how you like it!
Old 05-23-2007, 02:28 PM

You might just have a problem vehicle. I have 56K and the front still feels like new. This truck is so much better than my 1997 Dodge 1500. I had both at the same time for a while. After driving my 04.5 the 1997 handle like junk. So once you go through some parts hopefully things will be ok again.
Old 05-24-2007, 05:59 AM

Plane,

Maybe you need to re-read my post. I didn't say I didn't like my truck, I said I am unhappy about the fact that a heavy duty truck would wear stuff out this quick.

Now that I understand this is common on all the HD's, I don't feel quite as bad about it, but still shaking my head that an HD truck is made this way to begin with.

I still like the Dodge better than the Chevy or the Ford and I'll keep my 04 for now.

I do want to lift it and do all the cool stuff that a lot of folks here are doing to their trucks, but I just don't have the disposable income that a lot of folks here apparently have to do all that stuff all at once. It's gonna take time, but things like the problems I am having now are setting me back as it still costs me money even though some of it is supposed to be under warranty (rental car for three days and the dealership says there is a $100 deductible on the power train warranty).

You guys must make some good money to afford all these upgrades and mods, lol, as this stuff ain't cheap!

Anyway, my truck is supposedly ready for pickup today, so will see what all they fixed. As of yesterday they claim they couldn't find any leak on the transmission or any buzz/vibration at highway speed...which is nuts because you'd have to be deaf and blind not to.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:30 PM

Well, got my truck back after they kept it the entire week. So, $225 in rental car fees and $68 in parts to replace the pinion seal it's still not fixed. They claim they can't find a leak in the tranny, so I crawled under and you can see where someone wiped it off where it was dripping. Gonna check it again in another week or so and see if the drip is there again.

I ended up going to the dealership and taking the service guy and one of the techs for a ride. They both agree the harmonic vibe is there, they just can't seem to figure out what is wrong. Right now, I can't afford another $200+ week of car rental just to get back and forth to work while they stand around scratching their heads over the truck.

I didn't even mention the steering because that will definitely be out of pocket as it isn't considered part of the drive train.

I almost hate driving this thing now. It's annoyingly uncomfortable at highway speed with the buzz and rumbling whaaa whaaa whaaa and the steering is getting noticably worse just in a couple weeks time. Heck, just changing lanes to pass someone on a 2-lane road is a two-hands-on-the-wheel affair because it jerks back and forth so bad when I cross over that ever so slight hump in the middle of the road.

I dunno what I'm gonna do with it at this point. Part of me says to just trade it in, but on what, I dont' know and the other part says keep it, put aftermarket parts on it and be happy. Unfortunately, my wallet isn't supporting the latter very well.
Old 06-07-2007, 07:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Did you buy it used?
Old 06-07-2007, 08:01 PM

Have you had the tires balanced and rotated? This is where I would start for the humming and road noise.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:53 PM

Truck was purchased brand new in 04. Currently 50,253 miles on it.

Tires have been rotated at every oil change (3,000 miles) and balanced every other oil change. No abnormal wear...yet. I suspect I might start seeing that with the loose front end though.

I'm **** near positive that harmonic buzz is in the drive train. It's too high a frequency to be the wheels/tires. It's more of a buzz than a vibration and if it was a tire or two, it would be noticable more in a localized area (front/rear/left or right) than the entire truck buzzing.

Today I noticed that right at 60MPH there is a whine in the rear end. Maybe the ring and pinion are worn or something, I dunno.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:18 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah if the seal is leaking there everything will get worn out of round. That's your fault for not taking it in sooner though. Those have to be fixed ASAP and on my old camaro it would be at the dealer that day to avoid this, I had this problem a lot with that car. They were able to reset the gears one time I think and 90% of the noise went away and it didn't bother me I just lived with it.

As for the tranny leak, they were probably fed up with fixing your other problems you shouldn't be having and just wiped it... If it is barely leaking then let it go IMO... Or at least try another dealer.

The frontend is on you and how you've treated it, but seem kinda common.

If you want something a little less heavy duty and more city in a front end try a chevy, they have a good diesel..
Old 06-07-2007, 10:35 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have 155,000 on my 04,91,000 of towing. I've replaced the rear axle seal, lift pump, and 4X4 switch (electronic) but I love this truck. Best one I've ever owned.

Quick Reply: Not impressed with my 04 CTD 2500 4x4